The Student Room Group

New flatmate has made me feel very uncomfortable - wealth and politics

I moved into university last week and didn't know anyone I am living with. There's one girl who I haven't seen very much since I've been here, but I only spoke to her properly today and she made me feel really uncomfortable.

One of the first things she said was that she was an avid Labour supporter. Obviously there's nothing wrong with that, we're all entitled to our own opinions and I didn't mention where I stand politically because I didn't want things to be awkward between us right from the offset.

She then announced that the Conservatives steal money from the poor by taking away all of their benefits. Again, I chose not to say anything because I didn't want to get mixed up in politics. Then she claimed that there shouldn't be private schools, as the pupils who go there don't have to work as hard as state school pupils, and that private school parents will give their children enough money to let them do what they want to do anyway.

Next she said that the class system in the UK was really obvious, and that if you, or your parents, earn more than £80,000 a year, then you're middle class.

Here's where it becomes awkward: I have been private schooled my entire life and I feel I have worked hard to get where I am. My parents earn more than £80,000 a year and have also worked hard to achieve that and they have been fortunate enough to be successful. I don't consider myself to be middle class, though, nor do I think that earning a certain amount of money makes you middle class. I think it's more about how you act and carry yourself. I don't think many people are middle class anyway.

Sorry, I've gone off point. It's just made me really feel uneasy around her. I feel like she's looking down her nose at me because she sees her life as being more 'real' than mine. She also keeps pushing her beliefs and talks over me if what I say opposes her.

Obviously I'm going to try to avoid talking about such things with her to avoid confrontation, but I'm worried that if she's so opinionated already, what will she be like when the kitchen gets a bit messy or something?

TSR, I'm just asking about how I can deal with someone like her? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Beat her at her own game, get involved.

Spout conservative, free market rhetoric and claim that the lower classes are lazy and sponge from the state.

Failing that, get a contract killer.
Reply 2
smother her in her sleep, solves everything!

Your welcome ::smile:
Reply 3
Just let her have her rants/viewpoints, she obviously has a massive chip on her shoulder. Unless she starts being abusive towards you I don't really see what the problem is. Just nod, smile and let her get on with it.
You don't think you're middle class?

What?
Reply 5
Just apologise
Reply 6
Read the Daily Mail, wear fur, and use lit £20 notes to light your cigarettes.

Hilarity will ensue.
Reply 7
She'll soon learn where and to who it's more relevant to share her beliefs.
Reply 8
wilson_smith
You don't think you're middle class?

What?

No, I don't. My family may have money but they don't spend it very liberally.

Fusion
Just apologise

What for?!

fire2burn

Hilarity will ensue.

I did find that amusing, however, thanks to student finance hating rich families I get hardly enough to survive, let alone burn. I might photocopy one and light it on fire to see her reaction though.
Just be yourself! Don't worry about how much money your parents have or where you went to school.

I'm the same as you (affluent family, privately schooled all my life, house in the country and I "talk posh" ), and totally different to every single person on my course. So of course I'm the posh toff (despite the fact that some of my coursemates have much larger houses etc!) - but why should I be ashamed of that? There's nothing wrong with coming from a well-to-do background is there? As long as you're not an arse about it, I don't see why you feel like you have to cover up where you're from.
(edited 13 years ago)
Anonymous

She then announced that the Conservatives steal money from the poor by taking away all of their benefits.

Haha.
£80 000 is middle class.... wait...what would you class yourself as? And which uni do you go to? :smile:
Reply 12
I'd verbally rape her.
Then again, you aren't a lower class citizen if your household brings in 80k. Stop being daft.
Reply 13
Anonymous

What for?!

For your parents stealing from the workers to fund your private schooling.
Reply 14
mexicanbasterd
£80 000 is middle class.... wait...what would you class yourself as? And which uni do you go to? :smile:

Middle to upper working class, I suppose.

I go to a red brick university :smile:
Reply 15
I actually kind of hold her viewpoint, not gonna lie. 80,000, private school..... You're middle class.

But it doesn't matter! Just be yourself :smile: And she shouldn't shun you for who you are.
Anonymous
She then announced that the Conservatives steal money from the poor by taking away all of their benefits

You can't be serious? :rofl:
how about you don't get the kitchen messy

i dont respect her because she is clearly jealous that she is poor and that is her only motivation

and ignore her shes a plank
Reply 18
fire2burn

Hilarity will ensue.

More like: listen to Indie, speak like a **** and dress like a ****.
Edgey
I'd verbally rape her.
Then again, you aren't a lower class citizen if your household brings in 80k. Stop being daft.

this. Honestly OP how naive are you.

Latest

Trending

Trending