The Student Room Group

When I grow up, I want to be...

I was just thinking, remember when you used to be young and people would ask "what do you want to be when you grow up?". I still have memories of standing in a school assembly age 6 with my Indiana Jones style hat and saying "when I grow up I want to be a explorer". I was just wondering if anyone still goes by those young ambitions. I sure do, I mean even though I discovered long ago there's no such job as "explorer" it's still one of my main ambitions to travel the world. Just thought it was something interesting to think about. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I wanted to be Michael Jackson - Its a good job that didn't happen eh!!!:eek::cool:
Reply 2
I used to have dreams of being an actor, but I can't act. The only talent of mine I can think of has no real world application. So I'm probably going to end up being an office drone, killing myself with boredom and frustration every single day.

Sigh.
A pimp and my dream has been fulfilled. :u:
Reply 4
i remember when i saw somebody save a guys life in a McDonald's restuarant (guy was choking ) and i was only 9 years old. so i thought i want to save my lives when im older too coz it's kool.. :biggrin:
Reply 5
i wanted to be a football player...

i still wish... but need a miracle xD
Reply 6
I wanted to be a Wrestler/Footballer.

I used to think football trainers enhanced your ability to play :smile:
A 'medieval archaeologist'.
a firetruck.
Reply 9
A 'little red tractor'. When I realised that was sadly unattainable, I changed it to farmer.

Neither of which I want to be now. I don't know how the agricultural sector will cope.
Original post by Skoji
I used to have dreams of being an actor, but I can't act. The only talent of mine I can think of has no real world application. So I'm probably going to end up being an office drone, killing myself with boredom and frustration every single day.

Sigh.

Oh, what talent's that?

I remember quite clearly sticking up my hand and saying 'a wandering artist'! Other times, I remember saying 'something to do with writing' and 'explorer'. I've always had the urge to travel and explore, and I've travelled round the world and still enjoy drawing. I still want to do/be all the things I said - it's such a shame that none of them offer a very realistic chance to earn a living. All I can do is do them as hobbies, and try to earn some money on the side (writing, anyway.)
Reply 11
Author.

Now- musician.

I'm studying Drama and Spanish so both those dreams seem pretty out of reach atm :/
Reply 12
International DJ... getting there!
Astronaut, of course!

I've still got an interest in space though, just need to find a slightly more realistic job in that industry. :laugh:
Reply 14
Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent
Oh, what talent's that?

I remember quite clearly sticking up my hand and saying 'a wandering artist'! Other times, I remember saying 'something to do with writing' and 'explorer'. I've always had the urge to travel and explore, and I've travelled round the world and still enjoy drawing. I still want to do/be all the things I said - it's such a shame that none of them offer a very realistic chance to earn a living. All I can do is do them as hobbies, and try to earn some money on the side (writing, anyway.)

I'm a pretty damn good caver, if I say so myself. Every job I can think of related to caves is scientific though, and I'm not fantastically good at the theory side of things.
Reply 15
Normal.
Actually, I've never really wanted to be much else that I remember.

Except when I was REALLY little and wanted to be a farmer's wife. Too much Enid Blyton.
A virgin and my wet dream has been fulfilled. :colondollar:
Original post by Skoji
I'm a pretty damn good caver, if I say so myself. Every job I can think of related to caves is scientific though, and I'm not fantastically good at the theory side of things.

What about a job teaching other people how to go caving?
Reply 19
Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent
What about a job teaching other people how to go caving?

Commercial caving is a bad idea. You'd have to sign loads and loads of paperwork, for one thing, and then the fact that a lot of caves are on farms or owned land means that access would be a nightmare for all concerned. And then we come to the caves themselves - more people going underground = more erosion on the rocks, and the once-beautiful cave slowly decays into a ruin of its former self. It would be nice, but it's just not a very good idea.

Maybe at an OutwardBound centre... I hear they go caving there, in purpose-built natural caverns or something. I'll have a look at that now.

Latest

Trending

Trending