The Student Room Group

Getting five rejections

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by S.L
Has anyone had this this year? I fear this is very likely to happen to me, and I would like some advice on how to cope if this happens. I know the entry requirements will probably go up next year and I won't be able to apply probably as my grades and qualifications barely meet them this year. I have thought about doing an Access course next year, but that would mean I would have to wait another two years till University atleast.

I'm just hopelessly stuck. I live in a dead end town, with no jobs or opportunties and I just want to leave and live somewhere else. Me and my parents argue non stop and I just want a fresh start somewhere else. Problem is, I'm not really qualified for anything that pays well so thus I will not be able to move out and away.

Where are you applying?

If you're applying with all your options to:

1. Oxford/Cambridge
2. LSE
3. UCL
4. Imperial
5. Warwick

If you've used up all your options on those 5, and you have terrible grades, then you might be a bit stuck :rolleyes: Otherwise, don't worry too much. You are probably, as people have suggested, just over-worrying.
Original post by S.L
What are chances of getting on a course that is in "clearing"?

It depends on what course you are looking for. The courses available in clearing are basically those not already taken by people who have either achieved their firm or insurance places. Realistically the best places will have gone. I think that you have to be very careful that you do not choose a place out of desperation and you start doing a course that you really do not like. If you really think that you have not done as well as you should in your A levels, start thinking during the summer holiday about how you should respond. Look up possible other courses but think whether it is better to take a year out and do some resits to take the course you want.

Forget worries about the new tuition fees, you will be able to pay them. That is better than the scenario described above of not being eligible for a second student loan when you finally decide what you do want to do.

But before you think about clearing - get out of the student room and get on with your coursework. :tongue:
Reply 22
S.L
OP
Original post by INTJ
Where are you applying?

If you're applying with all your options to:

1. Oxford/Cambridge
2. LSE
3. UCL
4. Imperial
5. Warwick

If you've used up all your options on those 5, and you have terrible grades, then you might be a bit stuck :rolleyes: Otherwise, don't worry too much. You are probably, as people have suggested, just over-worrying.

Haha no, I've not applied to any of those thank god! I know Oxford/Cambridge are meant to be REALLY good aren't they? :tongue:

Will I still be eligible for clearing and all these other options even if I only used four out of five choices? I research all the unis, and I can't find a 5th uni where I meet the entry requirements.
Reply 23
Original post by S.L
Haha no, I've not applied to any of those thank god! I know Oxford/Cambridge are meant to be REALLY good aren't they? :tongue:

Will I still be eligible for clearing and all these other options even if I only used four out of five choices? I research all the unis, and I can't find a 5th uni where I meet the entry requirements.

All 5 are very good, yes lol. As for not using up all your choices, I'm sure you could go for clearing; though I'm not sure if your number of choices has anything to do with being eligible for clearing.
Reply 24
I always tell people to pick one lower tier Uni just so they know come September they will be able to get in somewhere.
Reply 25
Original post by S.L

You can add your 5th choice any time up until the end of June, assuming you haven't already picked your firm and insurance. You use the Extra lists to identify unis that are still accepting applications, though you won't be applying through Extra. In the case where you have offers from some of your four choices, you can hang on to those when adding in your fifth choice. If you have used up all your choices, you can only apply through Extra if you decline any offers you have received.

It doesn't matter how many of your choices you used when it comes to Clearing. Your eligibility for Clearing is determined by whether you have a confirmed place or not. If you don't - either because you didn't get any offers in the first place, or you missed the offers you did have and the uni didn't take you anyway - then you are eligible.
Original post by S.L

To use Extra, you must have used all five choices and either had rejections or declined offers, such that you're not holding any of them. Therefore, you would need to add a choice in before Extra became an option to use. Clearing doesn't care how many choices you had - by the time you can use Clearing, you can't add any anyway - so you'd still be eligible for Clearing with only four.

Original post by M1F2R3
I always tell people to pick one lower tier Uni just so they know come September they will be able to get in somewhere.

I hope you also tell them to make sure they actually want to go there as well, because it's no good having a uni you wouldn't attend as an insurance. We could all put the low offer unis down to almost-guarantee ourselves a place ... but whether we'd be happy there is a different matter.
Reply 27
Original post by TheSownRose
T

I hope you also tell them to make sure they actually want to go there as well, because it's no good having a uni you wouldn't attend as an insurance. We could all put the low offer unis down to almost-guarantee ourselves a place ... but whether we'd be happy there is a different matter.

A guy I know applied last year to 4 top tier Uni's, including Cambridge. He wasn't confident he would get an offer from the 4 Uni's, all of which he wouldn't mind attending. He picked a lower tier Uni just to know that come Sept he would get on a course, luckily he didn't need this option since he had a few offers anyway.

The chances are you won't get 5 rejections, you will only attend one Uni anyway.
Original post by M1F2R3
A guy I know applied last year to 4 top tier Uni's, including Cambridge. He wasn't confident he would get an offer from the 4 Uni's, all of which he wouldn't mind attending. He picked a lower tier Uni just to know that come Sept he would get on a course, luckily he didn't need this option since he had a few offers anyway.

The chances are you won't get 5 rejections, you will only attend one Uni anyway.

Ok... That doesn't really address the issue I raised, though, does it?

The chances of you not getting one of your top choices if you have three or four is variable depending upon course, but generally quite slim. However, the point still stands: if you do fail to get into one of them, there's no point having an insurance you can get into just because you can.

If he had failed to get one of them, would he have genuinely be happy this lower tier uni?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by TheSownRose
Ok... That doesn't really address the issue I raised, though, does it?

The chances of you not getting one of your top choices if you have three or four is variable depending upon course, but generally quite slim. However, the point still stands: if you do fail to get into one of them, there's no point having an insurance you can get into just because you can.

If he had failed to get one of them, would he have genuinely be happy this lower tier uni?

You won't need an insurance if you have 4 rejections but one offer :s-smilie:
I think he would of gone to the lower Uni, he wanted to get out of Wales... wasn't too picky.

A lot of people can't afford to sit on their arses and apply the year after. Even then there is no way you can tell if you will get an offer.
Original post by M1F2R3
You won't need an insurance if you have 4 rejections but one offer :s-smilie:
I think he would of gone to the lower Uni, he wanted to get out of Wales... wasn't too picky.

A lot of people can't afford to sit on their arses and apply the year after. Even then there is no way you can tell if you will get an offer.

I didn't really mean insurance in the UCAS sense of the word, more in the back-up uni way ... but apologies, I can see how that's confusing.

Fair enough then. I know a lot of people, including myself, who wouldn't.

No, but I wasn't arguing for having no back-up, just saying people should also be advised to make sure they would go there otherwise it's a wasted choice and hassle further down the line.

It's no use getting to results day and thinking, "Well, I missed my A*A*A offer, but still have AAA, and don't want to go to this uni with an offer for 240 points. Now I've got to inform student finance, I could get released and use Clearing..." You may as well not have bothered.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by S.L
Has anyone had this this year? I fear this is very likely to happen to me, and I would like some advice on how to cope if this happens. I know the entry requirements will probably go up next year and I won't be able to apply probably as my grades and qualifications barely meet them this year. I have thought about doing an Access course next year, but that would mean I would have to wait another two years till University atleast.

I'm just hopelessly stuck. I live in a dead end town, with no jobs or opportunities and I just want to leave and live somewhere else. Me and my parents argue non stop and I just want a fresh start somewhere else. Problem is, I'm not really qualified for anything that pays well so thus I will not be able to move out and away.

Lets hope you've not picked to study psychology as you would of gone from a dead end town, with no jobs or opportunities to a degree with no jobs or opportunities.
Reply 32
S.L
OP
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Lets hope you've not picked to study psychology as you would of gone from a dead end town, with no jobs or opportunities to a degree with no jobs or opportunities.

Nope, not Psychology!

Thank you all for the replies! I do actually feel better and feel not all is lost if I do get the dreaded five rejections. I will look in those these clearing and extra things if this happens and take it from there. It's nice to know that will be more options and won't be so "deadend". But right now I'm gonna try and be positive and hope it doesn't come to that.
Original post by S.L
Nope, not Psychology!

Thank you all for the replies! I do actually feel better and feel not all is lost if I do get the dreaded five rejections. I will look in those these clearing and extra things if this happens and take it from there. It's nice to know that will be more options and won't be so "deadend". But right now I'm gonna try and be positive and hope it doesn't come to that.

Only for people that reply for five risky choices on a popular course is that a viable option for - it could happen to anyone, but is unlikely to.

Good luck. :smile:
Reply 34
If my friends who've CDE or DDE can get into then I think most people can tbh :tongue:
Stop worrying, there is always extra and clearing.
If all else failed gap year and retake.
If that fail as well then get a job.
Reply 35
Original post by S.L
Nope, not Psychology!

Hey S.L, I think I know what course you're applying for :wink:

If you do get 5 rejections, just remember that you'll be in the same boat as hundreds, in fact its probably thousands, of others who've applied for this course. A very small percentage of applicants will even get one offer!

But, some people WILL get those few places and you have to be in it to win it!

I'd say, in your shoes (and mine!) it might be better to expect 5 rejections, as truthfully, that is the most likely outcome and then any offers will seem like an amazing bonus. That's what I'm trying, but of course its easier said than done!
Reply 36
Original post by Larrabee
Hey S.L, I think I know what course you're applying for :wink:

If you do get 5 rejections, just remember that you'll be in the same boat as hundreds, in fact its probably thousands, of others who've applied for this course. A very small percentage of applicants will even get one offer!

But, some people WILL get those few places and you have to be in it to win it!

I'd say, in your shoes (and mine!) it might be better to expect 5 rejections, as truthfully, that is the most likely outcome and then any offers will seem like an amazing bonus. That's what I'm trying, but of course its easier said than done!
This is just rubbish. Most people applying for this or any other course will get at least one offer, unless they have been totally unrealistic in their choices. Relatively few people are that unwise/ill informed/unlucky.
Reply 37
Can I ask a question that might seem really stupid? If you don't get the grades for your firm but get the grades for your insurance, will there definitley be a place available for you on your insurance course? Thanks. :redface:
I just re-read my previous post after getting three neg reps. Can I ask those who did why? I found it to be rather positive if I say so myself :smile:
There's a decent chance I'll get three rejections.
Gap yah!! :holmes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending