The Student Room Group

N. Korea vs. S. Korea Who will win?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
The South. Convincingly.
Reply 61
Technically they have never signed a peace treaty since the Korean war. In that case they have been at war for more than half a century.
China and Russia would have to stabilise the situation, they do not want a big conflagration in that region.
If it was strictly the North vs South I can see the North edging it but when talking about South Korea we have to remember there are thousands of US troops stationed there so they'd never fight a war alone and for that reason South Korea would win in my opinion. (I don't think China would be willing to defend NK anymore after that leak claiming they want Korea reunited under Seoul etc)
I suspect it would be the North. I read a paper about their military capabilities and, if everything detailed in the paper is accurate, they are very powerful indeed. A vast tunnel network with millions of tonnes of fuel and food, tanks adapted for hilly terrain, missiles that would destroy that US carrier fleet, surface-to-air missiles that would annihilate Apaches, not to mention the sheer, highly motivated manpower... apparently the US army could be wiped out within 3 hours. US bases situated near the border in South Korea would be obliterated and it would be a total mess.

Their unknown nuclear capability and its potentially devastating results if utilised would be another thing altogether.
sorry to the mods for creating a dupe thread - couldn't initially find this one:redface:
Reply 66
I'll suport the north all the way. F*** the US!
You can't beat communism.
Reply 68
Original post by Rossboy
On their own:
North Korea

With their allies:
North Korea (China, Russia, Iran etc) South Korea (America, UN - who are basically useless, Japan - SK have no major European allies, so the three major European superpowers of France, Germany and the UK won't really help them that much, probably just vocally condemn the actions of N Korea)

You honestly think that Russia would risk going to war with S. Korea and facing the wrath of the US. I doubt that they will be willing to start World War 3...
Original post by mathew551
I suspect it would be the North. I read a paper about their military capabilities and, if everything detailed in the paper is accurate, they are very powerful indeed. A vast tunnel network with millions of tonnes of fuel and food, tanks adapted for hilly terrain, missiles that would destroy that US carrier fleet, surface-to-air missiles that would annihilate Apaches, not to mention the sheer, highly motivated manpower... apparently the US army could be wiped out within 3 hours. US bases situated near the border in South Korea would be obliterated and it would be a total mess.

Their unknown nuclear capability and its potentially devastating results if utilised would be another thing altogether.

How you doing Kim? :lol:

They are almost bankrupt, they rely on aid to survive and their military is almost their entire economy.

The only advantage they have going for them is tactics and location, nothing else matters - Nuclear weapons; there's no proof they have them in any form that they'd be able to use (i.e missile), nor is there proof that they have the technology. The only proof we have is a seismic chart or something similar, which could have been created by a normal explosion of vast quantities.
The North suffers from chronic shortages of fuel, if war were to break out it'd make the crisis even worse. North Korea has plenty of tanks, planes and trucks, but without guaranteed supplies it wouldn't get very far. Aerial bombardment by superior South Korean and US fighter jets would further increase the stress on supply lines stretching them to breaking point.
Original post by Indievertigo
How you doing Kim? :lol:

They are almost bankrupt, they rely on aid to survive and their military is almost their entire economy.

The only advantage they have going for them is tactics and location, nothing else matters - Nuclear weapons; there's no proof they have them in any form that they'd be able to use (i.e missile), nor is there proof that they have the technology. The only proof we have is a seismic chart or something similar, which could have been created by a normal explosion of vast quantities.

I'm not too bad, thanks. :rofl:

There's no proof because it's one of the most secretive states in the world - they're probably very good at hiding what the world does not want to see.

Why wouldn't advantageous tactics and location alone mean victory for them? They're quite significant.

I've finally recovered the source for my previous post. http://www.rense.com/general37/nkorr.htm
The North basically has no real friends. Russia doesn't care at all about it, China is like an annoyed parent. If the North launches their nuke, they will swiftly be destroyed by the rest of the world in retaliation. Since South Korea is allied with the US I fail to see how they could possible lose against an isolated Kim jong il

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending