The Student Room Group

Can I get a masters loan? -living abroad now-

I'm a UK national, born in the UK and did my undergraduate degree there. For the past 2 and a half years I've been living and working in South Korea, teaching English. I am planning to return to the UK in September and I want to do a masters in Teaching English as a second language (which requires at least 2 years of English teaching experience, which I've been doing). But when checking eligibility for a masters loan it says I must have lived in the UK for the past 3 years. Is there no way around this? I'm surprised, especially when I want to study a course that requires experience working abroad. I have a permanent address in the UK- my parents house- where I lived before moving to Korea, and where I will move back to on my return.
Any insight would be much appreciated!
If I can't get the loan I'll have to give up my plan for the masters.
Original post by susielucy
I'm a UK national, born in the UK and did my undergraduate degree there. For the past 2 and a half years I've been living and working in South Korea, teaching English. I am planning to return to the UK in September and I want to do a masters in Teaching English as a second language (which requires at least 2 years of English teaching experience, which I've been doing). But when checking eligibility for a masters loan it says I must have lived in the UK for the past 3 years. Is there no way around this? I'm surprised, especially when I want to study a course that requires experience working abroad. I have a permanent address in the UK- my parents house- where I lived before moving to Korea, and where I will move back to on my return.
Any insight would be much appreciated!
If I can't get the loan I'll have to give up my plan for the masters.

Hi there, to be eligible for the Post Graduate Masters loan you would need to meet the eligibility checks. The main one is being ordinarily resident in the UK for the three years immediately before the first day of the first Academic Year. Unfortunately there is no way around that. Thanks, Ross
Reply 2
Original post by Ross SLC
Hi there, to be eligible for the Post Graduate Masters loan you would need to meet the eligibility checks. The main one is being ordinarily resident in the UK for the three years immediately before the first day of the first Academic Year. Unfortunately there is no way around that. Thanks, Ross

Ahhh okay.
Thanks for your reply!
You're welcome!
Reply 4
No, because of your lack of residency status, you wouldn't qualify for a loan.
However, there are plenty of online masters in TESOL. Here are two options:

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/pgstudy/course/taught/teaching-english-to-speakers-of-other-languages-tesol-online-ma

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/postgraduate/courses/distance/english/english-foreign-second-lang.aspx

You might also consider doing a PGCEi and look at getting QTS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending