The Student Room Group

Could I do FP1 without having done C3 and C4 yet?

Will I be able to do understand the content in FP1 without having done anything in C3 or C4?
Exam board is Edexcel.
Reply 1
Original post by YingYang
Will I be able to do understand the content in FP1 without having done anything in C3 or C4?
Exam board is Edexcel.

YES, it will take a little longer to get the gist of things however.
Sure, FP1 is fairly easy.
Reply 3
Yes. I'm doing Further Maths AS and Maths AS at the same time, so started FP1 without having done any of Core 1 or 2 - I will only be half way through core 2 when i take the FP1 exam. All of this is on Edexcel.
Reply 4
Hi, I'm doing FP1 atm alongside C3 and so far (we havent done much of the module yet due to very tiny teaching time) you only need to know C2 stuff, i believe most of FP1-FP3 is new stuff as FM is designed to be taken alongside a level maths.
Reply 5
O.o Sure. I did it knowing just core 1 and picked up the c2 stuff going along.
Reply 6
You certainly can. I did it at AS.
Reply 7
Ah great thanks for the replies. I wasn't too sure :smile:.
Reply 8
heh, i started this year doing Further maths AS and maths AS - i also did additonal maths in year 11 so i knew the basics to differentiate,integrate etc

I started FP1 whilst doing core 1, i have now finished C1 and FP1 and also finished revising for them both, ready for JAnuary :biggrin: now doing C2 S1 M1 and D1
Original post by massisi
Hi, I'm doing FP1 atm alongside C3 and so far (we havent done much of the module yet due to very tiny teaching time) you only need to know C2 stuff, i believe most of FP1-FP3 is new stuff as FM is designed to be taken alongside a level maths.

whilst true for FP1, it would prove a major hindrance not to have done a significant amount of C3, C4 prior to FP2 and FP3.
Reply 10
Original post by sohail.s
heh, i started this year doing Further maths AS and maths AS - i also did additonal maths in year 11 so i knew the basics to differentiate,integrate etc

I started FP1 whilst doing core 1, i have now finished C1 and FP1 and also finished revising for them both, ready for JAnuary :biggrin: now doing C2 S1 M1 and D1

You have 6 maths modules in January, and in year 12?
Reply 11
Definitely - I myself did FP1 the same time as I did C1 and C2 (although I did do Additional Maths in Year 11) and came out with 97% at the end. You'll find it actually helps with a lot of C2. Good luck.

Original post by Mrm.
whilst true for FP1, it would prove a major hindrance not to have done a significant amount of C3, C4 prior to FP2 and FP3.

Agreed

Original post by mir3a

Same here, but it's not as bad as it seems as they all link in and they also linked into Physics AS which I did at the same time.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by mir3a

not exactly
In JAnuary i have C1 FP1 Physics Unit 1 CHemistry unit 1 and biology unit 1

In june i have M1 C2 D1 S1 Chem Unit 2 Bio Unit 2 Physics Unit 2

next year i will be dropping physics soless exams and i might do 7 A2 units to boost my chance of an A* in further maths (FP2 is hard and to get an A* its 90 overall on your best 3 A2 units which will be FP2 S2 M3 and i think i might do D2/S3 to see if i do better on them then on FP2)
Reply 13
Same here, but it's not as bad as it seems as they all link in and they also linked into Physics AS which I did at the same time.

I never said, nor did I hint it was bad.
Reply 14
I know it's already been said, but you definitely can, yes. Just thought I'd lend my support :tongue: I started doing FP1 at the same time as C3, and FP1 was straightforward only knowing C1 & C2 content well :smile:
Reply 15
I did FP1 whilst doing C1 along with M1. It shouldn't be a problem. All you need to know from the core modules is how to differentiate.
Original post by chaz1992
I did FP1 whilst doing C1 along with M1. It shouldn't be a problem. All you need to know from the core modules is how to differentiate.

when you say further maths as what modules are examined? is it just fp1?
Reply 17
FP1 is a AS module, C3 & C4 are A2 modules. AS modules dont require A2 modules to understand them, its the other way around actually , although not for all units :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending