The Student Room Group

Got a job with an ISP

Hello,

I've just got off the phone with a HR chap regarding an interview I attended for an ISP.

I got through the first round, and bypassed the second round and was offered the contract.

In this current climate a job is a job and whilst I am very happy to be employment once again I can't help feel it will be a total snooze fest.

Basically I will be a Tier 1 support advisor... I'm guessing that will mean I will get a rollicking day after day from clients?

Thanks,

Ron
Hey man,

1st line support can be a great position - it's the first step on a rather illustrious IT ladder. I find that most the time my clients don't shout at me - they are actually really quite respectful of what I do and are always thankful for the support I give them. saying that - I work internally for an office and have no real contact with the general public.

I say enjoy the position, try your hardest and at every opportunity learn a new skill and take on more responsibility. I started my job doing first line support, now I do 1st, 2nd and 3rd and I'mnow really getting to grips with business intelligence (mainly SQL and MS Visual Studio reports), which has some big money behind it.

Other than that, congratulations on doing so well at interview! Good luck mate!
Reply 2
Original post by mikeyd85
Hey man,

1st line support can be a great position - it's the first step on a rather illustrious IT ladder. I find that most the time my clients don't shout at me - they are actually really quite respectful of what I do and are always thankful for the support I give them. saying that - I work internally for an office and have no real contact with the general public.

I say enjoy the position, try your hardest and at every opportunity learn a new skill and take on more responsibility. I started my job doing first line support, now I do 1st, 2nd and 3rd and I'mnow really getting to grips with business intelligence (mainly SQL and MS Visual Studio reports), which has some big money behind it.

Other than that, congratulations on doing so well at interview! Good luck mate!

Cheers!

I'll be the first to admit, the job does not interest me in the slightest. I'm studying Economics at University (Currently on a gap year) and wish to go into ecommerce and later picking up an MBA.

Having said that, they felt my current qualifications where sufficient enough for the role, as I studied Software Development at College and gained all my ECDL/Customer support qualifications.

Their feedback was surprisingly good, and they understood why I applied in the first place. (Basically to gain experience in B2B/B2C enquires in my gap year + to bulk up my CV a little.) They liked my enthusiasm and drive for success. All in all it was a good interview will use the interview techniques again in future.

Pay is not too bad either £7/hr, but that may be due to it being an evening position.

Ron

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending