The Student Room Group

HSBC Amanah or Lloyds Islamic banking?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by easyindeed
Nah, what the bibles says is Jews weren't allowed to charge interest to other Jews - they were allowed to charge interest to Gentiles.

Also you have to bear in mind these laws were set in place during a time when inflation was non-existant. So there is good merit for Christians charging interest.

Fair enough, but some Christians have gone to the IBB, Lloyds TSB, HSBC Amanah as Islamic Banking also relates to "Christian Values" ie: not being a lender, and not making money from your "brother"

Original post by modgepodge
Not being allowed to get interest and make a profit just because you believe in a God seems utterly bizarre to me. I refuse to believe that God (if he exists, that's another debate) will get angry with me cos I'm making a few pounds on some savings. This is why I hate religion.

It is not allowed in Islam, because Arabs used to lend money and charge astronomical interest rates that borrowers were forced in to poverty(nothing like we see in the UK, but more third world poverty) to repay their loans back. At any rate, it may be an "alien" ideology to you, but it's not doing any harm is it? The west is still trading with Islamic countries and they've made Islamic banks that anyone can use.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending