The Student Room Group

Who deserves to go to university more?

The naturally gifted guy who manages 3As with ease, or the B student who revises excesively and far in advance?

I would say the first one.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As long as the 3 A's student isn't complacent, and will actually make use of a university education, then yes him.
The first one, blatantly.
the first one as they'll actually be stretched at university.
whereas the second will just struggle (comparatively)
Reply 4
The poor guy
Reply 5
even though the second one might struggle, you could argue that he deserves to go to uni because he has put to much blood sweat and tears into it, even if ti doesn't end up being as great a uni/degree as the first one

plus who's the say the first one would actually put in the required work once he gets to uni?
Original post by JammyDoughnut
The naturally gifted guy who manages 3As with ease, or the B student who revises excesively and far in advance?

I would say the first one.

Both. It should not be a Zero-sum game.
the one with the best ps
Reply 8
Both of them should be allowed to go.
But the straight A's student is the type of person that more people would want to see benefiting from higher education because they will be the pioneers, rather than the background researchers.
In my opinion, that information isn't really enough to decide who actually deserves a university education more. The one who deserves it more is the one who will learn more from the course, and who will put the knowledge and skills they gain to good use after the course is over.

Although if that's all the information you're giving me, then I'd go with the first one. I think they'd be likely to gain more, and have more to offer society as a result of university education.
Original post by theths
even though the second one might struggle, you could argue that he deserves to go to uni because he has put to much blood sweat and tears into it, even if ti doesn't end up being as great a uni/degree as the first one

plus who's the say the first one would actually put in the required work once he gets to uni?

I agree with this!
The government should make sure everyone goes to university! :fuhrer:

P.S I was definitely being serious. :rolleyes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Especially once you reach Masters and PhD level, effort is not enough. Not by a long shot. Without a good dose of talent and intelligence, you will not contribute to your field and so should not really be going to university. But with the diluted degree values that we currently have, the B grade student should still be given a shot at a bachelors.
Original post by lovely_me
The government should make sure everyone goes to university! :fuhrer:

resulting in degrees becoming worthless
Why don't they both deserve to go to uni?
Clearly the first one.
Reply 16
The british society is supposed to be meritocratic therefore those student with the best grades should go to uni but does this always happend? I dont think so
The person who has the lowest earning parents of course. :p:
Reply 18
Who is to say the A guy will find a uni course easy, maybe the B guy just found the way A levels were taught hard etc, some people come good when they get to uni and some straight A students fail miserably. I would say, based on the minimal information, that person A might do better than B at uni, but if he is used to putting in no work, he might find his luck runs out.
Reply 19
Both should deserve to go to university. Unless by 'university' you mean Oxbridge, in which case the first one.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending