The Student Room Group

Just been told I have shingles.. :(

My boyfriend missed chicken pox when he was younger, he had shingles instead. Does anyone know if it's possible that he can catch shingles from me? :frown:
Christ, I've had the shingles. It itches for a bit, stop twining.
Yes if you have shingles atm you can transmit varicella zoster (causes chickenpox and shingles - they are one and the same)

That's why people who have shingles are asked to avoid pregnant women as getting varicella z for the first time in pregnancy can have disastrous effects for the foetus (but not if the woman has had chickenpox/shingles already at some point in her life)

If your boyfriend has never had varicella zoster, then he may get sick if he catches it from you. But if he has ever experienced chickenpox or shingles, he already has the virus so I don't think your shingles can affect him.

Again, shingles/chickenpox are caused by the virus varicella zoster - it's a herpes virus so once you have it you've got it forever (that's why it can "come out" occassionally as shingles, and at these times it is infectious)

Hope that helps? But if you are confused or worried you should ask the person who diagnosed you.
Chickenpox and shingles are both caused by the varicella-zoster virus; it gets into the body during chickenpox, then lies dormant on a nerve ganglion and can randomly reactivate, causing shingles. You cannot get shingles without having a previous infection, so I find it unlikely he skipped chickenpox and went straight to shingles, unless he has the immune system of species 8472 (PM me if you get the reference :wink:) and drove the virus to the ganglion quickly enough to avoid actually experiencing chickenpox.

Whilst you have shingles, you can transmit the varicella-zoster virus. In someone who has never encountered the varicella-zoster virus before, it can give them chickenpox. However, you cannot catch shingles from someone or someone with shingles cannot reactive the virus in someone.
Reply 4
I don't understand how I could have shingles.. :frown:
Original post by Katie_xox
I don't understand how I could have shingles.. :frown:

Have you had chickenpox?
Why are you asking TSR this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending