The Student Room Group

How has mental illness affected your life?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
just wondering if you know when you're psychotic?? can you feel an episode coming on??

Most of the time I can feel it, so I know. I don't always feel it coming on, mind you :nah:
I've always been an pretty anxious type of person. It's like once my mind is set on something I find it hard to break away from it. I did get diagnosed with OCD when I was about 12 (I'm 20 now) and was put on mdeication, but I
I've always been an anxious type of person I guess. I was diagnosed with OCD when I was about 12 (I'm 20 now) was prescribed medication and talked through my problems a bit, but I just thought I was strange and didn't really understand why i was performing such strange acts, and thought no doctor could understand what I was doing so.

Thinking back to when I was younger I was absolutely nuts. One of the worse things I can remember doing was jumping over my back-garden fence into someone's privately owned stables and then having to run in thick mud atleast 100 metres under several electric fences just to touch some large green box thingy. This was totally embarassing seeing as all my neighbours could see, but I think I waited untill they had gone out.

I have grown out of most of my old extreme habits (I think) but I do still feel I suffer from anxiety. I also tend to rush things and things have to be perfect. Its like there is only a right or wrong; and once I get something in my head I find it hard to think of something else. Just recently I have been experiencing some awful anxiety which I just seem to be keeping bottled up inside but It actually makes me feel physically sick.

Do you reckon If i go back to my GP i could get some medication and does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks :smile:
I was recently cleared of psychosis after having been sent to an early intervention team (I'm sure some people remember that anonymous thread recently, that was me) The therapists were nice enough. They recognised that I have some obsessive ruminations which sound similar to schizophrenic experiences on the surface, but are not hallucinations or delusions. What a relief.

So now it's pretty certain that I have social anxiety and a weird form of obsessional OCD.
(edited 12 years ago)
I've always been an anxious type of person I guess. I was diagnosed with OCD when I was about 12 (I'm 20 now) was prescribed medication and talked through my problems a bit, but I just thought I was strange and didn't really understand why i was performing such strange acts, and thought no doctor could understand what I was doing so.

Thinking back to when I was younger I was absolutely nuts. One of the worse things I can remember doing was jumping over my back-garden fence into someone's privately owned stables and then having to run in thick mud atleast 100 metres under several electric fences just to touch some large green box thingy. This was totally embarassing seeing as all my neighbours could see, but I think I waited untill they had gone out.

I have grown out of most of my old extreme habits (I think) but I do still feel I suffer from anxiety. I also tend to rush things and things have to be perfect. Its like there is only a right or wrong; and once I get something in my head I find it hard to think of something else. Just recently I have been experiencing some awful anxiety which I just seem to be keeping bottled up inside but It actually makes me feel physically sick.

Do you reckon If i go back to my GP i could get some medication and does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks :smile:

It might be worth going back to your GP and asking for cognitive behavioural therapy. That could help you learn to alter or at least deal with your thoughts :smile:

Original post by Liquidus Zeromus
I was recently cleared of psychosis after having been sent to an early intervention team (I'm sure some people remember that anonymous thread recently, that was me) The therapists were nice enough. They recognised that I have some obsessive ruminations which sound similar to schizophrenic experiences on the surface, but are not hallucinations or delusions. What a relief.

So now it's pretty certain that I have social anxiety and a weird form of obsessional OCD.

Glad to hear you haven't got psychosis. It's not much fun :no:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Glad to hear you haven't got psychosis. It's not much fun :no:

Yup. I was extremely anxious since I was referred for an assessment. Was freaking out so badly, really expecting the worst outcome.
Original post by Liquidus Zeromus
Yup. I was extremely anxious since I was referred for an assessment. Was freaking out so badly, really expecting the worst outcome.

Hey man what sort of stuff were you experiencing to get referred? As you weren;t diagnosed with psychosis, what was the diagnosis? Would be interesting to know a bit about your background too if you wouldn't mind :smile:
Hey man what sort of stuff were you experiencing to get referred? As you weren;t diagnosed with psychosis, what was the diagnosis? Would be interesting to know a bit about your background too if you wouldn't mind :smile:

Let's say that I raised a few typical warning signs for schizophrenia. A paranoid fear of extraterrestrials combined with social isolation, blunted affect, weird thoughts, etc, and my therapist decided to have me referred.

Now, this fear of extraterrestrials is not just a phobia, I have disturbing mental images of sadistic, hostile aliens and imagine them killing or torturing me particularly at night. Something like maladaptive daydreaming. When given negative stimuli my own imagination is a very scary thing. And yes, without careful explanation it would be diagnosed as psychotic.

I wasn't diagnosed with anything new that I'm aware of.
Reply 668
I have OCD. Been on Sertraline (100mg) for about 7 months now. Has anyone else had this experience...
I felt so emotionally numb. I wasn't as anxious, which was great, but I was also never really happy and never really sad. I was always just...content. Which was good at first but my grandma died and I couldn't even cry because of Sertraline. When I'd have a really good day with my friends or my boyfriend I still felt quite indifferent about it. In both situations I knew how I SHOULD have felt, so in that sense I felt happiness/sadness in a small amount.
Anyway, I started just taking 50mg about 3 times a week to avoid withdrawal symptoms then I stopped all together. I haven't had any of the physical withdrawals but I have found suddenly having all my emotions back a bit difficult at times. I get angry a lot easier than before which then makes me very upset. But I would still say this is better than being numb on Sertraline.
Me being on Sertraline made life easier for everyone else I guess because I didn't have any extreme emotions and I was a lot easier to be around (considering my OCD was under control) but I'm really not sure it was better for me personally. Strangely my OCD hasn't gotten worse since I stopped taking it...In fact I haven't had any more bad spells than when I was taking Sertraline!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending