The Student Room Group

Iraqi dad says killed daughter linked to al-Qaida

I don't know who's worse, the terrorists or the dad.

BAGHDAD When police came hunting for a 19-year-old woman they believed had been recruited by al-Qaida to be a suicide bomber in a town north of Baghdad, they found she was already dead: Slain by her father, who told police he strangled his daughter out of shame and then cut her throat.

The killing of Shahlaa al-Anbaky, reported by police Friday, appeared to be from an unusual melding of motives part to defend the family honor, part to prevent her from joining the militants. But how much of each weighed in her father's mind remains unclear, with police still investigating the details.

Al-Qaida has been recruiting women for suicide attacks because they can pass police checkpoints more easily than men by concealing explosives under an abaya, a loose, black cloak that conservative Muslim women wear. Suicide bombers have been al-Qaida's most lethal weapon in Iraq, killing hundreds of civilians and members of Iraq's security forces.

Read more: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101224/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_iraq
Reply 1
I'd say the terrorists tbh. Its common place for them to use women and children as suicide bombers.
Bloody hell!
Reply 3
Ahh man i can't imagine and feel sympathy for what that dad must have been going throught when he done that...
TO be honest i think he done it for the girls good aswell as himself :s-smilie:
what a ****ed up situation :s-smilie:
The dad. He killed a person who was suspected of being a terrorist and suspected of intent to commit a suicide bombing.

Also, even if she was a terrorist how do we know that the bomb would have killed anyone (besides her)?
There have been plenty of cases where the bomb just went off without killing anyone and just doing damage to property. This is why vigilantism isn't the way forward.

Finally, his motives are quite disgusting, to be honest. Why would you kill your daughter because of your 'family honour'? This is why we need to liberalise these cultures (not talking about force). I believe the 'family honour' was a stronger motive for him. If he didn't want her to join the militants he could have sat down and talked to her. He could of explained what's wrong with suicide bombing through educating her about Islam and Islam's stance on suicide, for example.
Reply 5
good man, he saved the lives of hundreds of innocent women and children.
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
The dad. He killed a person who was suspected of being a terrorist and suspected of intent to commit a suicide bombing.

Also, even if she was a terrorist how do we know that the bomb would have killed anyone (besides her)?
There have been plenty of cases where the bomb just went off without killing anyone and just doing damage to property. This is why vigilantism isn't the way forward.

Finally, his motives are quite disgusting, to be honest. Why would you kill your daughter because of your 'family honour'? This is why we need to liberalise these cultures (not talking about force). I believe the 'family honour' was a stronger motive for him. If he didn't want her to join the militants he could have sat down and talked to her. He could of explained what's wrong with suicide bombing through educating her about Islam and Islam's stance on suicide, for example.

Good post. Something doesn't quite add up for me with this story.
The big society comes to Iraq...
Original post by Annoying-Mouse

Im sceptical to say the least. However, if it is true, then job well done.
Reply 9
The dad is far worse, killing his own child for family honour, that's sick. She was linked to Al-Qaida you can't kill someone based on what they might do.
Reply 10
Well at least 'family honor' has come in useful for once, instead of killing innocent girls who get seen with a boy.
Reply 11
Original post by Steevee
Well at least 'family honor' has come in useful for once, instead of killing innocent girls who get seen with a boy.

Another police official, also speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss the case, said authorities were investigating the possibility that the woman had a boyfriend in al-Qaida. Police records indicated that Najim al-Anbaky (her dad) killed one of his sisters in 1984 in what was described as an honor killing, the official said.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jx3A7-iM81rknvCEEyrWEfOBaJgA?docId=2700d23a2d34412abfb930360cbb6b0d

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending