The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge chances?

Hi all,

I recently became interested in Cambridge's Applied Math and Theoretical Physics program, to the point that I'm considering applying to the Master's in Mathematics. I understand this is one of the most prestigious programs in the world, and I was wondering, looking at my stats, whether I would have a decent chance of getting in. See, I'm not quite familiar with the CV of the average Cambridge student, so any advice would be extremely helpful.

Country of citizenship: Spain.

Undergrad: University of Wisconsin - Madison. Top 10 Science program in the US, 1st in Plasma Physics, top 5 in number theory, top 5 in chemical engineering.
- Double Major in Physics and Mathematics. Graduating this Spring. Wondering if Cambridge accepts the aforementioned degree as if I had graduated in the UK?

Main interests:
- Theoretical Particle Astrophysics, Integrable Systems, String Theory.
Grades:
- General GPA: 3,5/4.0, where 4.0=A, 3.5=A-, 3.0=B, 2.5=B-, 2.0=C.
- Physics GPA: 3.55/4.0
- Mathematics GPA = 3.6/4.0.
- Length of degree: 3 years instead of 4 (wondering if graduating early makes any difference?)

Coursework:
- 1st year: Multivariable Calc, Diffeq, Classical Mechanics, Linear Algebra, Group Theory.
- 2nd year: EM Fields, Real Analysis, Quantum Mech, Research seminar in Number Theory, Particle Physics (Graduate level), Indepdendent Study in DiffGeo and General Relativity.
- 3rd Year: Undergrad Thesis, Complex Analysis, Quantum Field Theory (Graduate level), Theory of Manifolds (Graduate Level).

Research:
- 2nd Year: I formulated a Galactic model in Differential Geometry whichs predicts the existence of a Dark Matter Halo. In addition, I did some research in Number Theory with one of the best Number Theorists in the world and managed to establish a connection between modular and quadratic forms. Nothing published though :frown:
-3rd Year: During the summer I took part of an independent study in String Theory. I'm currently writing a Thesis on Kahler superpotentials.

Couple of Awards, a $5000 one from the Physics dept, and a $750 one from the Math Dept.

Thanks!
Reply 1
You look like an excellent candiate. Have look looked around the Cambridge website to see the courses which are on offer and their prerequisites?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
I often wonder why people do this... why don't you email the admissions tutors?
Reply 3
I didn't know there was such a thing as an "admission tutor". I'll look into that asap
Reply 4
Aren't they just the people who review your application and either offer or deny admission?
I've looked into most courses I would like to take (such as Algebraic Topology, Galois Cohomology, etc) and I might have to review a couple of books during the summer, but I think I will be ok. They all seem very interesting.
Also, is early application recommended?
Reply 5
The earlier the better, of course
Reply 6
Original post by alexwaylo2008
I did some research in Number Theory with one of the best Number Theorists in the world

And you need to ask randoms on a internet forum about whether you can make it to Cambridge??? :confused:
Reply 7
I needed to ask. I honestly didn't mean to be rude, but contrary to popular belief, the average MIT/Caltech/Stanford graduate student has better stats than I do. If I were to apply to CalTech, admissions office would throw my application to the trash because I don't have a 4.0 or haven't published anything.
Wow, ur achievements are great! :smile:
U should go for it.
Reply 9
Original post by alexwaylo2008
I needed to ask. I honestly didn't mean to be rude, but contrary to popular belief, the average MIT/Caltech/Stanford graduate student has better stats than I do. If I were to apply to CalTech, admissions office would throw my application to the trash because I don't have a 4.0 or haven't published anything.

Well, if this person who you did research under were to support your application with a statement saying something "I believe X is a strong candidate for your programme and I highly recommend him" and his word really does carry weight in the academic world your grades averages may not mean that be that important. When admitting anyone on to any graduate program the primary question is: can this candidate complete the program? And if a leading figure in the field says you can (who knows, he may even have done the program himself!) then that can carry a lot more weight than a GPA score particularly if admissions staff are not familiar with what you have studied and to what level you have studied at.
Reply 10
The programme I'm in requires a 3.7 if thats any help?

But you wouldnt know until you try.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending