The Student Room Group

Interesting questions on ITMB

Hello guys...i am going to apply for ITMB in Uni of Manchester, Sheffield, Loughborough, Lancaster, Exeter. But however i have some doubts.

Why in some universities, ITMB is under business school while in others they are under computer science. Can i ask are the different universities teaching different modules or methods?

eg. in university of Manchester and Aston university, ITMB is under business. while in Sheffield, Loughborough , ITMB is under comp sci.

Thanks guys... if possible can u recommend me what should my order of schools be to further increase my chance of being accepted?

The schools in my mind are: Manchester, Loughborough, Lancaster, Sheffield, Exeter, Aston, Northumbria

Thanks in advance for reply:smile:
Reply 1
Whats ITMB?
Reply 2
Original post by lubus
Whats ITMB?

Information Technology Management for Business

From what I can see it seems to be a softer version of Computing & Business or Computing with Management.

My guess would be that the courses under the CompSci departments are more technical with more computing modules, where as those under a Business school are going to have mainly business and management content?

To OP: of course each Uni is teaching a different mix of modules using their own teaching style. You need to find the course breakdown / list of modules and compare each one to get an idea of how they differ.
Reply 3
ITMB is Information Technology Management for Business

Thanks BigV for reply... i though ITMB is a course introduced by a organisation of companies therefore i thought what modules the schools are teaching should roughly be the same? i thought the only different will only be the methods used... anyone can give me their opinions?
Reply 4
ITMB is a course which encorporates both IT and management, therefore some unis will put it under computer science or business or even both. I dont think it matters :smile:
Reply 5
just wondering, is it considered better to do the ITMB or a combined computer science and business course?
Reply 6
I have aquestion with regards to itmb
Can this degree lead into investment banking in the future??
Reply 7
Original post by shehzad157

From personal, anecdotal experience...If you do the IMB course at UCL, yes. But it's tough. Anywhere else, I doubt it. There are many more degrees that are more likely to get you into IB.
Reply 8
@HubertJ
I would highly consider looking at all ITMB Universities at http://www.e-skills.com/itmb
Don't just apply for which uni you think is best, I highly recommend visiting the Universities to get a feel for the experience and speak to the ITMB director and ITMB students (this is how I ended up at Greenwich after initially applying for Exeter!)

@Hubertj
each university fits this course into their teaching style hence why the course is sometimes more buisness orientated over computing or visa vera. Greenwich happens to teach it under their Business, IT and Enterprise School (BITE) so there is a different balance here also. Do look at what modules interests you the most but at the end of the day you will benefit from many additional features with ITMB such as Guru Lectures and a lot more networking opportunities with big industry experts and a leap frog into the interships and graduate schemes which ever ITMB University you study at.

@slips
personally ITMB due to the recognised course with the big employers and benefits as part of E-Skills UK

Hope this helps everyone, good luck!
Reply 9
Original post by shehzad157

A job in a Tech department in an investment bank definitely - there were a lot of interns doing ITMB at Sheffield at the bank where I interned last summer and all of them were offered full time jobs for when they graduated.

As for true investment banking, eg structuring deals etc this is a lot less likely.
Reply 10
I applied for Manchester Sheffield Loughborough Lancaster and Northumbria(point of entry 2)...
So far Manchester gave me an conditional offer (need to score 6.5 for IETLS)...
Sheffield and Northumbria gave me unconditional offer...
I still waiting for Loughborough and Lancaster to reply to my application...
Which do you think i should go for if all accepted my offer?:confused:
Reply 11
Hey, im in my 3rd year of ITMB at Manchester.

Overall, ITMB at my uni takes a few modules from pure management (i.e. the fundamentals of...) and most of the rest of the modules are designed specially for ITMB with consultation from employers and E-skills. For instance, we learnt the basics of website design (Dreamweaver), java, databases (Access), data mining (Clementine) etc and the rest is pretty much a mixture of theory, and group projects. We had a group project in the 1st and 2nd year, which are full year, and go right through from requirements planning to implementation (the 1st year project was around making a website).

ITMB pretty much gets you prepared for a career in consultancy, and you really do meet a lot of employers, like every week in the 1st and 2nd years. If you take advantage of all the connections (like mentors from companies) its a good way to get ahead, like doing summer placements or a year in industry. Those are hard to get (especially now) but the careeers service at manchester is amazing.

The degree is done slightly differently by some unis, depending on whether they choose to have it as part of the business school or computer science. In general, the school that does the course is where most of the lecturers and admin etc are from.

Id say your choice of uni would depend on the reputation of the department - the business school at manchester is great, so that was important for me. Also, the connections that the school has are also important, like IBM are doing one of our modules this year, which wouldnt happen in all ITMB courses.

Your chances of getting in depend on how full previous years were - the year below me they struggled to get numbers, so made a push the following year to get students in. I got below my offer at manchester, but still got in, so if you like the sound of a uni and their take on the course, go for it. Although a big piece of advice, you wont believe how picky employers are about a levels - they still matter after youve got into uni hehe.

In terms of investment banking, youd probably need an economics degree :P

I hope this helps
Original post by hubertj
I applied for Manchester Sheffield Loughborough Lancaster and Northumbria(point of entry 2)... So far Manchester gave me an conditional offer (need to score 6.5 for IETLS)...Sheffield and Northumbria gave me unconditional offer...I still waiting for Loughborough and Lancaster to reply to my application...Which do you think i should go for if all accepted my offer?:confused:
Hey, I'm looking to do an ITMB in 2016, what is youre experience been like? and which uni did you choose?
Reply 13
Hey I'm lookin to do ITMB in 2021, What's ur experience been like? and which unis did u do?
Original post by JJ05
Hey I'm lookin to do ITMB in 2021, What's ur experience been like? and which unis did u do?

Hey, im looking to do that too. Which unis did u apply to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending