The Student Room Group

Save yourself and DO NOT work at Sports Direct!

I've worked at the godforsaken Sports Direct for almost a year now and it is a horrible, horrible job. This is genuine advice, avoid it at all costs!

Despite having been working there for over a year, recently I've been getting a whopping 0 hours of work per week. I suppose thats the brilliance of a 0 hour contract. Combine this with the fact that my pay rate is £3.61 per hour and it leaves me pretty damn poor. They know I'm available all weekend yet I'm lucky to get a three hour shift.

Also, the job itself consists of the most monotonous tasks imaginable, most of the customers are convicted felons and the managers are tyrants.

And finally, each store plays the same CD of unsigned, disgustingly unoriginal artists from all the worst genres of music. Just to avoid paying a little extra money.

AVOID!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sounds cool. Where can I apply?
Reply 2
surely you should have been contracted some hours?
Original post by MJHERBZ
I've worked at the godforsaken Sports Direct for almost a year now and it is a horrible, horrible job. This is genuine advice, avoid it at all costs!

Despite having been working there for over a year, recently I've been getting a whopping 0 hours of work per week. I suppose thats the brilliance of a 0 hour contract. Combine this with the fact that my pay rate is £3.61 per hour and it leaves me pretty damn poor. They know I'm available all weekend yet I'm lucky to get a three hour shift.

Also, the job itself consists of the most monotonous tasks imaginable, most of the customers are convicted felons and the managers are tyrants.

And finally, each store plays the same CD of unsigned, disgustingly unoriginal artists from all the worst genres of music. Just to avoid paying a little extra money.

AVOID!

M&S pay me nearly double that.... hasn't minimum wage been increased to like £5 something?
Reply 4
Original post by Huskaris
Sounds cool. Where can I apply?

I pray you aren't being serious... :P
Reply 5
Original post by zohaib01
surely you should have been contracted some hours?

No, its 0 hours. They pass me off as a 'casual' sales assistant. On one hand, it can be useful in avoiding shifts I don't want, put when I'm lucky to earn £50 a month I'd appreciate some definite hours...
Reply 6
Original post by air-ninety-one
M&S pay me nearly double that.... hasn't minimum wage been increased to like £5 something?

I'm under 18. Come march I'll be on £4.80 something, but its still pretty awful...
My sister had similar experiences. They weren't recording her overtime so she lost a lot of money. When she realised she quit straight away.
Reply 8
Original post by 69Crazyfists
My sister had similar experiences. They weren't recording her overtime so she lost a lot of money. When she realised she quit straight away.

She chose wisely :P I would quit, I would love to quit, but there aren't many weekend jobs going for people like me at the moment. I can't afford to do too many hours because I'm not letting work come before studying but I could comfortably do more than 3...
Original post by MJHERBZ
I'm under 18. Come march I'll be on £4.80 something, but its still pretty awful...

:eek:

get a job at M&S their min pay is 6.73 for anyone
My brother worked here a few years ago as a Christmas temp.... some things never change as he spoke about the same experiences.
Reply 11
I worked there a few years ago too.

Can i add how loads of the staff were foreign and either didn't do much or did the wrong things.

The managers kept putting me down for times and days they knew i couldn't do.

The managers never explained anything to us , they said told us briefly want to do then moaned if we got anything wrong.

The customers were a nightmare mostly rude and inpatient. Although some were friendly and chatted to me whilst i was serving them on tills ( the only part of the job i liked )

Money is crap , especially considering what we had to do and how we were treated.

Managers were tight when giving us breaks.

They tried to give me an 11 hour shift even though i was under 18.

So yeah worst place to work !! I will add more reasons when i remember more.
I used to work there also.
Managers were completely awful and rude and even tried to get us to clean the staff toilets and wash their dishes. Also, one of them always put me down and even laughed when I told him my plans for the future (Look who's laughing now..!!)
The shifts were awful and unpredictable.
I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy..!!
When a new store opened near me 3 of my friends started working there. None of them lasted more than a month.
Could you ask about the possibility of more hours maybe?
Reply 14
Original post by sunlightxstarbright
When a new store opened near me 3 of my friends started working there. None of them lasted more than a month.
Could you ask about the possibility of more hours maybe?

Probably, there's a good chance they'd just laugh in my face though. My friend had worked there for about a year and the same was happening to him, he asked for hours and was just completely ignored. The managers just seem to take a set against people who don't devote their lives to that awful place...
I got the job in November done my induction by the end, worked a 3 hour shift just before christmas its feb and no call for shiftss? yes im permannt but wtf!!! i get paid £5 a hour but i was suppose to be contracted 3-6pm but then i got put as casual assitant !:mad:
Reply 16
I work as a casual but I don't get paid that little maybe because I work in London so you get paid more, which store dou work at?
I remember trying to apply for a job there once, but unfortunately I was rejected :frown:
Original post by ufo_01
I worked there a few years ago too.

Can i add how loads of the staff were foreign and either didn't do much or did the wrong things.

The managers kept putting me down for times and days they knew i couldn't do.

The managers never explained anything to us , they said told us briefly want to do then moaned if we got anything wrong.

The customers were a nightmare mostly rude and inpatient. Although some were friendly and chatted to me whilst i was serving them on tills ( the only part of the job i liked )

Money is crap , especially considering what we had to do and how we were treated.

Managers were tight when giving us breaks.

They tried to give me an 11 hour shift even though i was under 18.

So yeah worst place to work !! I will add more reasons when i remember more.

i currently work their at the moment and it's just ridiculous. i started there last month and i worked shifts and i got a payslip yesterday saying i ain't got payed :eek: so what i'am i working for really. its so true people that work there are foreign no affense or anything but i can't understand what their saying. and what annoyed was it was my fifth day come onto men footwear all boxes dashed on the fall :eek: and they wanted it quick time when i'm not the good. :angry:
Quit and work somewhere else...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending