The Student Room Group

Nutrition/Dietetics work experience??

I've tried many local (and not so local) hospitals and none of them offer work experience for Nutrition/Dietetics.

I desperately need to shadow a dietitian asap so please could people give me ideas of where else would be suitable? i.e. would community dietetians do? and where are these even located?:frown:

Thanks in advance :smile: xxx
Reply 1
Do any of the dietetic departments at the hospitals do an Open Day? It can be very hard to get shadowing experince as the departments are so busy so they often hold an open day for prospective students to have a look around the department, listen to presentations, and generally get an idea of what the role entails. I would have thought at least one of the hospitals you've looked at would have something like this. Where abouts do you live?

I'm not sure how to arrange shadowing a community dietitian to be honest - they are based within the hosptials anyway, I think.
Reply 2
Original post by Roodie

I'm not sure how to arrange shadowing a community dietitian to be honest - they are based within the hosptials anyway, I think.

Some community dietetians are based in hospitals, some work in clinic or PCT environments. If you contact your own GP surgery or local PCT you should be able to get contact details through them and then call/email manager to introduce yourself and ask about work exp possibilities.
Good luck.
Reply 3
I live in Peterborough, the nearest open day I know about is in London which was fully booked, or one in Bristol but obviously I wanted more than a day if possible, doesn't look like thats the case
I have rang round Peterborough, Cambridge and Northampton hospitals none of which offer it apparently.

Thank you for the advice, I'll ring up the GP's :smile:
Reply 4
If you can't get work experience then you could always try calling them and asking any questions on the phone or emailing them.
I don't know if that will help as a last ditch resort. :smile:
Reply 5
Have you tried just googling community dietetian + peterborough (or whatever area you live in). This should give you the contact details you need.
It is part of the ethos that Dietetians do their best to encourage new entrants to the profession. They also know that you need to have experience to apply so usually do the best they can to help.
Reply 6
If there's a diabetes centre near you, try there.
Reply 7
I'm a 3rd (of 4 years) Nutrition and Dietetics student. Generally you can't get work experience in a hospital without being on a degree course. I think if you are applying to a degree course, they will give you a selection of open days to choose from. That's what I had, but then again, I live in London. Outside of London I think there is more chance of getting work experience but it's only a little bit more. The best thing is to ask private dietitians/nutritionists. I hope this helps!
Reply 8
Hi

I'm in year 12 and want to apply for a Dietetics course next year. Does anyone know what kind of work experience I need to get on to the course?

:smile:
Reply 9
Shadowing experience in an acute or community setting is what you need to be looking for really - this gives you an insight into the role of a dietitian. If you can't find anywhere to do this, as a lot of places apparently don't do shadowing anymore, there may be a dietetics and/or therapies open day at a local hospital. Try and email or call a few dietetics departments and see what they have available.
Reply 10
Original post by brunutti123
I live in Peterborough, the nearest open day I know about is in London which was fully booked, or one in Bristol but obviously I wanted more than a day if possible, doesn't look like thats the case
I have rang round Peterborough, Cambridge and Northampton hospitals none of which offer it apparently.

Thank you for the advice, I'll ring up the GP's :smile:

Was it the London Dietetics website you went on? Because I went on there once and it said it was fully booked but they usually have it 3 times in a year, usually around February, April and June/July because I just went o the April one and a friend of mine went to the one last year in June.. They also have a taster course at London Metropolitan that you can try out which is really good. Just keep checking to see if they have places :smile:

I'm kind of surprised that you haven't been able to find work experience if you live outside London but I'm guessing it's because the hospitals also have to provide places for the undergraduate students studying the course for their placements

Another thing you can try is going on food science summer schools because they usually are related to nutritional sciences and it would probably look good on your application. There's one at Reading University coming up that's for year 12's there was one at Nottingham as well but I think that's only for year 11's. Here's the link for Reading if you want to take a look at it:
http://www.reading.ac.uk/web/FILES/food-biosciences/6th-form-leaflet_2012.pdf
Is anyone here going to the Dietetics Career Event on the 27th June at Guy's Hospital?
Reply 12
Who's that open to? I've finished my GCSEs and am really interested in it

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 13
I feel like a twit though it said July not June sorry :L

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 14
If im predicted a grade less than what i need will i still be able to get into dietetics.
Reply 15
Is anyone studying dietetics at leeds met
Reply 16
Original post by Anstaria
I'm a 3rd (of 4 years) Nutrition and Dietetics student. Generally you can't get work experience in a hospital without being on a degree course. I think if you are applying to a degree course, they will give you a selection of open days to choose from. That's what I had, but then again, I live in London. Outside of London I think there is more chance of getting work experience but it's only a little bit more. The best thing is to ask private dietitians/nutritionists. I hope this helps!

What work experience/volunteering did ou do to get onto the course?
Reply 17
Hi

I intend to do a Masters in Dietetics from Kings College or London Metropolitan starting 2018.
For a fulltime course what are the timings like?

Are internships paid?

Quick Reply

Latest