The Student Room Group

Need advice on cleaning...

Backstory (Yes, backstory to advice on cleaning) I'm in a shoddy studio flat, the condition of it was bad to begin with, I've been given a fairly Fascist list specifying how near-immaculate everything needs to be. I want £450 my deposit back, or as much of it as possible.

> Bluetac remains off walls; best method?
> Slightly warped laminate flooring - how to fix [or hide] (Spilt cooking oil on it, seems to have soaked in and done something to it, which reminds me...)
> ...Cooking oil out of carpet?
> Rank watermelon juice out of carpet?
> melted frying-pan sized circle in cheap carpet [like the sort they put in schools] - how best to hide?, (from a distance it looks like it might just be slightly damp, then you touch it, and it's rough and solid)

Also, any recommended cleaning products for the more generic cleaning? (I'm stocking up soon).
Reply 1
Bumpty-bump!

There must be plenty of you with coverup/cleaning experience
Reply 2
I saw something on the TV about putting baking powder on the floor for 30mins and then hoovering it up. But I can't remember if thats just to act as an odour neutraliser or to help with the stains.
Put a mat on the floor over the stains.
Stains really need to be dealt with immediately. The longer they sit the harder they are to remove. You're best bet is probably a carpet cleaning product, but by the sounds of it if the list is that specific and picky the landlord is likely to find anything you try to hide. I wouldn't waste my time and money trying to fix it (because some of that stuff you just can't fix). You should just learn from this and next time deal with any stains or messes as soon as they happen to try and prevent permanent damage.
Reply 4
Original post by AnHuman

> Bluetac remains off walls; best method?

Roll more (new) bluetac over it. Bluetac loves to stick to itself.

> Slightly warped laminate flooring - how to fix [or hide] (Spilt cooking oil on it, seems to have soaked in and done something to it, which reminds me...)

Put heavy furniture over it for a while?

> ...Cooking oil out of carpet?

Talcum powder, rub it into the oil and leave it overnight/ a day or so then brush and vacuum it out.

Then get newspaper/ brown paper and get an iron on a lower heat setting and gently iron the paper over the top of the oil to make the paper a more attractive surface.

> Rank watermelon juice out of carpet?

Carpet cleaner + Febreze

> melted frying-pan sized circle in cheap carpet [like the sort they put in schools] - how best to hide?, (from a distance it looks like it might just be slightly damp, then you
touch it, and it's rough and solid)

Rug?

Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending