The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Joey_Johns
Seen as I went to the most famous catholic school in the country I should know just about.

Btw I dont belive in god.

neither do i
lumpycustard
its weird isnt it that all kids who go to religious or catholic schools end up hating religion, not beleiving in god, and are definatly not what u would class as christians or whatever

I still go to church. I dont hate religion, I try to follow most catholic morals. I just dont believe in god.
Joey_Johns
I still go to church. I dont hate religion, I try to follow most catholic morals. I just dont believe in god.

how the chicken does that work? i thought goin to church was to pray to jesus and god and to thanks them and all that... :confused:
Joey_Johns
He might be from a rich family. There is nothing wrong with providing for your family. My old school and Ampleforth have many examples of wealthy people giving up their lives for god.

no. his mum and dad were the poorest in their village. its only since he started pastoring hes got rich. and besides, he makes the hurch have 3 offering. morin apparently for the youth club (which isnt given much at all). after service for the church and then again to give to god (dont no what bank god is at tho)
lumpycustard
how the chicken does that work? i thought goin to church was to pray to jesus and god and to thanks them and all that... :confused:

Thats why every one of your arguments is flawed.
lumpycustard
no. his mum and dad were the poorest in their village. its only since he started pastoring hes got rich. and besides, he makes the hurch have 3 offering. morin apparently for the youth club (which isnt given much at all). after service for the church and then again to give to god (dont no what bank god is at tho)

If that is the case he is swindling the system. He wouldnt be the first priest to take advantage of offerings..or the last but perhaps if this is all true you could take action?

There was a priest once in America who swindled over $2 million dollars.
Joey_Johns
Thats why every one of your arguments is flawed.

yeah but in a way thats my point. evry1 is defeating the point... like giving loads of money to the pastor where he probably keeps 50% of it to himself. AND the 'laws' of sex before marriage. yea its dsafer and more desirable to no that ur other half has only been with U and only want to be with U, in this day and age it will not happen. y preach it? there r young couple in my old AoG church and i doubt very much that hands r kept out of clothes! no matter what they try to portray to everyone else.
Joey_Johns
To pay for the upkeep of the parish and the priests home. You will find that priest are not 'rollin in it'. They are paid about 4-6k a year. They might live in a big house but they dont own it.

mate, they are paid a damn lot more than 6k. you need 12 k just to live!
Mind you, they'll save money with the no kids, or need to impress women
J
lumpycustard
yeah but in a way thats my point. evry1 is defeating the point... like giving loads of money to the pastor where he probably keeps 50% of it to himself. AND the 'laws' of sex before marriage. yea its dsafer and more desirable to no that ur other half has only been with U and only want to be with U, in this day and age it will not happen. y preach it? there r young couple in my old AoG church and i doubt very much that hands r kept out of clothes! no matter what they try to portray to everyone else.

You will find that most priest nowadays accept that sex before marriage is going to happen and just see it as every day life. It is just the official stance of the church. The fathers and brothers at my old school know full well you cant keep girls and boys apart, so they dont (to a degree lol).
Reply 169
Bigcnee
Indeed, bucko.

Looks like you've fallen to it.

I actually agree with Caz on this one (I haven't read other posts so dunno if it's been taken further).

If you told a child that it had to eat a plate of peas every Friday from the day it was born it would do it - and continue to do it finding it hard to stop doing it. Same with God - if you talk about God and tell a child that there is a God, they will believe it and find it hard to stop believing.

However, if you tell a child that there isn't a God, it is not a continual thing. You wouldn't make sure you tell the child every Sunday morning that there is not one. Therefore, I feel that 'brainwashing' is more likely to occur when a child is told that there IS a God rather than that there isn't a God.

I think there is something inherent with religion that it must be passed through the generations. See the Bible for examples. Atheism is more a personal rejection of beliefs which others follow.

At the end of the day I feel it is easier for the child of an atheist to discover a faith than it is the child of a religious person to reject what has been an inherent part of their childhood years.

So, Caz - I agree!

Adam
ooooops silly me, i put no. didnt read the question properly, scratch one vote from that i got it wrong!

It would kinda not make sense if i said that sex before marridge was wrong, u know what i'm sayin, yeah u know!
Reply 171
Sire
caz: Bigcnee has my every respect. As did you.

lol um okay? am i supposed to be upset bcuz u stopped respecting me? i dont control wut u think
Reply 172
Tnacilppa
I actually agree with Caz on this one (I haven't read other posts so dunno if it's been taken further).

If you told a child that it had to eat a plate of peas every Friday from the day it was born it would do it - and continue to do it finding it hard to stop doing it. Same with God - if you talk about God and tell a child that there is a God, they will believe it and find it hard to stop believing.

However, if you tell a child that there isn't a God, it is not a continual thing. You wouldn't make sure you tell the child every Sunday morning that there is not one. Therefore, I feel that 'brainwashing' is more likely to occur when a child is told that there IS a God rather than that there isn't a God.

I think there is something inherent with religion that it must be passed through the generations. See the Bible for examples. Atheism is more a personal rejection of beliefs which others follow.

At the end of the day I feel it is easier for the child of an atheist to discover a faith than it is the child of a religious person to reject what has been an inherent part of their childhood years.

So, Caz - I agree!

Adam

yup, thanks

there are a lot of idiot people out their who think they're so great and even punish their kids for no believing in what they believe, which is truly a self-destructive mix for the kid who has to go through it (imagine having to make sense of some crap u dont even believe, then reach a point in ur life where u force urself to believe it, and now u have all these memories and associations of anger and hate from where ur idiot parents pulled all their bullshit). its harmful, i tell u. it is
lumpycustard
actually rhe pastor at my old church lives mear me in his OWN house with all widescreen tv's, top notch dvd players, plasma screen pcs etc etc. his sister of my age was given a bday pressy last year off him, her own car and a building in which to begin her business. (hair and beuaty). bearin in mind Mr K (code name) only runs a small cashing shop and pastors, now where does he gets all his money from? hIS WIFE is at home with the kiddies... .oO(wonders)

What Church is he with?
This is where Catholicism has the edge- no families to worry about! And all the priests I know live very simply in parochial houses, not their own.
Some nuns too who teach in my school, including the principal until last year, give their entire salary to their Order to be used for charity, as they have taken a vow of Poverty.
Reply 174
caz
yup, thanks

there are a lot of idiot people out their who think they're so great and even punish their kids for no believing in what they believe, which is truly a self-destructive mix for the kid who has to go through it (imagine having to make sense of some crap u dont even believe, then reach a point in ur life where u force urself to believe it, and now u have all these memories and associations of anger and hate from where ur idiot parents pulled all their bullshit). its harmful, i tell u. it is

Maybe it has something to do with the parents and not Chrsitianity itself.
My dad started going to church 4 years ago and became a Christian a year later. My Mum after seeing my dad get baptized started going to Church and became a Christian 4 months after that. They made me go although I usally just shot hoops in the gym cause I would complain about being in church too much. When I was 14 they didn't make me go anymore.
I'm not interested in what my parents are into, but it does make me ask questions. They have both been better and kinder since the became Christians, although they grounded me for a month when I had sex with a girl from school 3 months ago, they still let me go to baseball practice, just I had to go straight home. They didnt even yell at me, they would have once.

Point is maybe its not about God or Christianity that makes parents do oppressive stuff, maybe its the parents, afterall no matter what you believe it dont make you perfect.
Matt the cat
That is beautiful, and i quite agree with you :biggrin:

why thankyou Matt, nice to see someone can agree, my view may certainly not be agreed with by many so it's pleasing to see someone like yourself feel the same. nice effort!

Latest

Trending

Trending