The Student Room Group

(As-level) Anyone doing physics, chemistry, biology, maths, further maths?

hey :smile:

I'm in the process of choosing my a-levels and I'm thinking of doing Physics, Maths, Further Maths, and Biology. But I might do Chemistry as well because I don't want to limit myself to certain career paths and Chemistry seems to be "handy".

So.. my questions are:

Are Science A-level's a big step-up from GCSE's?
How much harder are they?

How much time would I be expected to spend on homework in total everyweek?

Scroll to see replies

Fairly big step, Chemistry and Physics more than Biology.

Further maths is more abstract than anything you will have seen before, unless you are the mathmo sort.

I get about 2 hours homework a week (do most of it in class)

I'm quite enjoying the work at the mo.
I don't do physics so I can't say for that. Chemistry is a huge step up and will be more complicated but it isn't bad once you got the hand of it. Biology is a step up in the sense you have so much more to learn, although the content isn't too hard to understand. Maths is definitely harder, but as long as you're good at maths, it's quick to get it. And if you do additional maths, you've basically done C1 and C2. Also, depending on how your school teaches Further maths, it will be harder if it's anything like mine as we don't get any additional lessons so we go through everything really quickly.
And work wise, it varies. I hardly hard too much last week but for a few months leading up to christmas, I was working all night after school (but this mostly freed up the weekends).
Reply 4
I don't do sciences so I can't really help with that but I do do maths and that's not a huge step up from GCSE cos you sort of start with the really high level GCSE stuff and build on it.
The key to doing well with maths is to keep up with all the work-doing all homework set, asking teachers to go over things you don't understand, catching up if you have time off etc. My teachers are great in that they encourage us to go and find them out of class if we're really struggling which is really helpful.

Basically if you work hard you'll do fine :wink:
Reply 5
There are like 238475936384947395048392 threads on this topic. OP please use the search button.
thanks for all the replies :wink:
Original post by Miss Anonymous
thanks for all the replies :wink:

Lol Chemistry is the HARDEST A-Level IMO. Will it be a big step? Yes it will, but the the impact depends whether you did triple or double science and most importantly what grade you got. I don't recommend you do science if you got a B.

Also you are doing 5 A/S that in its self is a lot but you are picking subjects that are linked together but not closely, so i advice you stick with 4. Drop Further Maths as it is unnecessary for further education - focus on all three science , get a good grade and you'll be going to a good uni.

My A levels:
Biology AS: A , A2: A
Physics AS: A* , A2 : A
Chemistry AS: just go an A, A2: A
Maths: A*A*
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by sabik13

Original post by sabik13
Lol Chemistry is the HARDEST A-Level IMO. Will it be a big step? Yes it will, but the the impact depends whether you did triple or double science and most importantly what grade you got. I don't recommend you do science if you got a B.

Also you are doing 5 A/S that in its self is a lot but you are picking subjects that are linked together but not closely, so i advice you stick with 4. Drop Further Maths as it is unnecessary for further education - focus on all three science , get a good grade and you'll be going to a good uni.

My A levels:
Biology AS: A , A2: A
Physics AS: A* , A2 : A
Chemistry AS: just go an A, A2: A
Maths: A*A*

hey

I've only done Unit 1 exams for sciences (AQA) and got A*A*A*. Not quite sure how well I've done for Unit 2 exams though :s-smilie: 10th March :eek:
and btw, maths is one of my favourite subjects so I think I'll definitely take Further Maths :smile:

thanks for the advice :wink:
Reply 9
Original post by Circadian_Rhythm
Fairly big step, Chemistry and Physics more than Biology.

Further maths is more abstract than anything you will have seen before, unless you are the mathmo sort.

I get about 2 hours homework a week (do most of it in class)

I'm quite enjoying the work at the mo.

The Physics syllabus was much easier at AS than Biology was in my opinion. Especially the mathematical side. I heard Chemistry is very hard though - it depends on the person in my opinion, certain A levels will be harder for different people so comparing them, (since they are different subjects after all), won't really reflect everyone's abilities in different subjects.
Reply 10
hey :smile:

I'm in the process of choosing my a-levels and I'm thinking of doing Physics, Maths, Further Maths, and Biology. But I might do Chemistry as well because I don't want to limit myself to certain career paths and Chemistry seems to be "handy".

So.. my questions are:

Are Science A-level's a big step-up from GCSE's?
How much harder are they?

How much time would I be expected to spend on homework in total everyweek?

im doing all three sciences and further additional maths and im in my first year of a levels. well i already did 7 exams in january....even if u did further maths....to ensure full understanding and good grades.....it wud be best to spread ur exams carefully rather than doing them all in june.

the "jump" 4rm gcse to a levels is exaggerated in my opinion.....is just tht u have to give more hours to work.....early preparation is essiential for success. chemistry will require a lot of hours....while physics and biology nt as much. in terms of homework....i quitted hw since i strted y10 :eek:
It all depends on the person.

I did those 5 for AS then dropped Biology. Found maths the easiest, followed by chemistry, physics, further maths then biology.

The work load is fine but then I'm fairly lazy and not the sort of person who spends ages on homework.
Original post by Crazydavy
The Physics syllabus was much easier at AS than Biology was in my opinion. Especially the mathematical side. I heard Chemistry is very hard though - it depends on the person in my opinion, certain A levels will be harder for different people so comparing them, (since they are different subjects after all), won't really reflect everyone's abilities in different subjects.

Original post by Rahul.S
im doing all three sciences and further additional maths and im in my first year of a levels. well i already did 7 exams in january....even if u did further maths....to ensure full understanding and good grades.....it wud be best to spread ur exams carefully rather than doing them all in june.

the "jump" 4rm gcse to a levels is exaggerated in my opinion.....is just tht u have to give more hours to work.....early preparation is essiential for success. chemistry will require a lot of hours....while physics and biology nt as much. in terms of homework....i quitted hw since i strted y10 :eek:

Original post by illusionz
It all depends on the person.

I did those 5 for AS then dropped Biology. Found maths the easiest, followed by chemistry, physics, further maths then biology.

The work load is fine but then I'm fairly lazy and not the sort of person who spends ages on homework.

Do you think it's possible to get an A/A* in Chemistry A-level with a low A* in GCSE Chemistry? I got 90UMS in Chemistry Unit1. I haven't got Unit 2 result yet... but I think Unit2 is easier than Unit1. And Unit3 seems to be about the same level as Unit2.

And for Biology, some of the sixth formers at my school were saying that bio exams are just terrible. Apparently, they ask you stuff you haven't learnt. Could anyone please comment on this? How much harder are a-level bio exams compared to gcse? Of course, the content would be a lot harder. But I'm talking about the "exam-styles" / "skills needed" here :smile:

thanks
:smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
hey

I've only done Unit 1 exams for sciences (AQA) and got A*A*A*. Not quite sure how well I've done for Unit 2 exams though :s-smilie: 10th March :eek:
and btw, maths is one of my favourite subjects so I think I'll definitely take Further Maths :smile:

thanks for the advice :wink:

That's cool, if you like maths and is confident enough to do Further Maths then go for it! Anyway, was you talking about all of the Sciences in general or just a specific subject? Those grade seem good for A level :biggrin: . But, I am worried that will all of these subject be a work load because doing all three Sciences is hard enough, but Maths and F.Maths may seem a lot. You may have a situation when you have to do a lot of resits and they wil clash with other tests. So would you rather get a good grade or risk getting low grades? Remember Unis only require A*AA (Cambridge).
Reply 14
Do you think it's possible to get an A/A* in Chemistry A-level with a low A* in GCSE Chemistry? I got 90UMS in Chemistry Unit1. I haven't got Unit 2 result yet... but I think Unit2 is easier than Unit1. And Unit3 seems to be about the same level as Unit2.

And for Biology, some of the sixth formers at my school were saying that bio exams are just terrible. Apparently, they ask you stuff you haven't learnt. Could anyone please comment on this? How much harder are a-level bio exams compared to gcse? Of course, the content would be a lot harder. But I'm talking about the exam-style / skills needed here :smile:

thanks

biology exams...dependz on wt board tbh. aqa is very how science work type....and ask u stuff sumtimes bit outside 4rm the scope taught and required....but as long u apply the same concepts its fine :biggrin: im presuming ur doing aqa chem gcse....as it also has 3 exams. dw about ur gcse mark....cuz to get a* in a level u need 80 average overall with 90 average in a2...nt sayin its an easy route...but mark is only an issue during a2 really
I do Chemistry and Biology, and they are a massive step up from GCSE so prepare yourself, but I would recommend them.

Also, why are you doing 5? Why not 4? There is no need to do 5, especially as hard as the subjects you've listed. You'll go nuts!

And for Biology, some of the sixth formers at my school were saying that bio exams are just terrible. Apparently, they ask you stuff you haven't learnt. Could anyone please comment on this? How much harder are a-level bio exams compared to gcse? Of course, the content would be a lot harder. But I'm talking about the "exam-styles" / "skills needed" here :smile:

thanks

Getting an A or A* at GCSE level only shows that you have the potential to achieve well at A level, you can't really predict what you would get at AS Chemistry from a GCSE grade. It really depends on how hard you work and how proactive you are towards your studies. You are able to get an A/A* in Chemistry but only if you make sure you learn everyone properly and are committed. A personal mastery of the syllabus is what will get you the A* grade - wider reading would also help. This is talking from experience of A levels in general, I didn't do Chemistry but it is probably the hardest out of the sciences at A level from what my friends think.

Biology exams are hard at A level but it also depends on what exam board your school uses. I am on OCR and they are VERY picky about you using correctly, and spelling appropriate words. The mark scheme is very unforgiving in that you have to be really specific in your answers and tick all the boxes. The exams will always include something outside of the syllabus, almost like a 'stretch and challenge' question(s) that require you to apply existing knowledge in unfamiliar situations or require you to think a bit more than just 'knowing the answer'. A2 level Biology will also throw in some question which require AS level knowledge so you can't forget anything! A level Biology has a lot of content and are obviously harder than a GCSE paper. Past papers are essential to learn exam technique.

You are also assessed in practical exams at A level such as performing an experiment, drawing up the results and then commenting on them. These are not hard if you are good at paying close attention to detail, if you are fairly methodical in your approach and read every step needed in the practical very carefully. Your teacher usually helps you out in prompting what you might need to know before a practical but beware, some teachers may pounce an unexpected assessed practical on you!
Original post by sabik13
That's cool, if you like maths and is confident enough to do Further Maths then go for it! Anyway, was you talking about all of the Sciences in general or just a specific subject? Those grade seem good for A level :biggrin: . But, I am worried that will all of these subject be a work load because doing all three Sciences is hard enough, but Maths and F.Maths may seem a lot. You may have a situation when you have to do a lot of resits and they wil clash with other tests. So would you rather get a good grade or risk getting low grades? Remember Unis only require A*AA (Cambridge).

thanks. btw, I want to do 5 because I'm doing maths a-level a year early.
:smile: so it's really 3sicences+further maths
although.. if I do 4 (so 3 in yr12), I can spend time on other activities... :confused:

Original post by Rahul.S
biology exams...dependz on wt board tbh. aqa is very how science work type....and ask u stuff sumtimes bit outside 4rm the scope taught and required....but as long u apply the same concepts its fine :biggrin: im presuming ur doing aqa chem gcse....as it also has 3 exams. dw about ur gcse mark....cuz to get a* in a level u need 80 average overall with 90 average in a2...nt sayin its an easy route...but mark is only an issue during a2 really

Although 80UMS is needed for an A, I'm guessing it will still be tough because fewer people do a-level chemistry compared to gcse chemistry. And those who chose to do a-level chem would be good at it / interested in it. Anyway, thanks :smile:

Original post by fionaa.scott
I do Chemistry and Biology, and they are a massive step up from GCSE so prepare yourself, but I would recommend them.

Also, why are you doing 5? Why not 4? There is no need to do 5, especially as hard as the subjects you've listed. You'll go nuts!

:p: ah well, I can't make up my mind... but I'll have maths alevel by the end of this year so that's why i'm thinking of doing 5. I'll be doing 4 in yr12.

But I might do 4 (so 3 in yr12) and do some extra curricular stuff instead...

it's such a hard decision :frown:

Original post by Crazydavy
Getting an A or A* at GCSE level only shows that you have the potential to achieve well at A level, you can't really predict what you would get at AS Chemistry from a GCSE grade. It really depends on how hard you work and how proactive you are towards your studies. You are able to get an A/A* in Chemistry but only if you make sure you learn everyone properly and are committed. A personal mastery of the syllabus is what will get you the A* grade - wider reading would also help. This is talking from experience of A levels in general, I didn't do Chemistry but it is probably the hardest out of the sciences at A level from what my friends think.

Biology exams are hard at A level but it also depends on what exam board your school uses. I am on OCR and they are VERY picky about you using correctly, and spelling appropriate words. The mark scheme is very unforgiving in that you have to be really specific in your answers and tick all the boxes. The exams will always include something outside of the syllabus, almost like a 'stretch and challenge' question(s) that require you to apply existing knowledge in unfamiliar situations or require you to think a bit more than just 'knowing the answer'. A2 level Biology will also throw in some question which require AS level knowledge so you can't forget anything! A level Biology has a lot of content and are obviously harder than a GCSE paper. Past papers are essential to learn exam technique.

You are also assessed in practical exams at A level such as performing an experiment, drawing up the results and then commenting on them. These are not hard if you are good at paying close attention to detail, if you are fairly methodical in your approach and read every step needed in the practical very carefully. Your teacher usually helps you out in prompting what you might need to know before a practical but beware, some teachers may pounce an unexpected assessed practical on you!

:smile: thank you. My school follows AQA syllabus btw.
Its not too big jump to be honest. I do all but not further maths. Unit 1 is orite for everything except for critical thinking AGHH. lol anyway unit 2 gets a bit harder but still relatively do able
Bio is a fair jump, but not difficult to do- you just need to be able to take in information well. Chemistry is a huge-ish jump, but once you get your head around the theories and equations it isn't as hard as some people say it is... as for physics, if you can do the GCSE stuff you should be all good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending