The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

when i had my interview for nursing (its going back a bit now so my apologies if its a bit sketchy), it was a group interview-groups of three, and then one-to-one interviews.

i think the group interview we had to discuss what we thought important attributes you needed to be a nurse (i think.) either that or what it was that nursing meant to us

in the one-to-one interview they did ask a few questions about my PS, in particular they wanted to know what i meant by a comment that i'd included in it. they then went on to describe some scenarios and ask me what i would do in that given situation-they all seemed pretty easy, almost too easy-so i had to make sure that they werent trying to trip me up.
then they wanted to know things like do i drive, or do i have problems with travelling to placements-that ones quite important cos if you just say no, you could end up with a home trust that's miles away.

it wasnt all tha bad actually, i thought it would be worse and they'd ask loads of questions that i couldnt answer, but it was more like a chat than an interview (but it may depend on where you apply to)
Reply 2
Thanks for your info, its good to know what others have been asked so that I have a rough idea what to expect. The placements is a good one as I will be living at home this time so will need to travel - although I do have a car it would be nice not to have to go too far away.
LittleMiss
Has anyone got any tips on interviews for healthcare (especially nursing) I know they will ask about your PS and why you want to be a nurse etc. Anything else I should be wondering about.

b prepared to improvise a solution for a case scenario that they will hypothesize,
show your interest,
give good reasons,
say why u'll make a good nurse

thats pretty much all there is to it
My interview day is looming ever closer and I am starting to feel very nervous about it!! :eek: Everyone keeps telling me to not worry and just go in there be honest and do my best, but I can't help thinking what if I make a huge mess up!! :hmmmm: I'm trying to stay positive about it and was really excited last week, but I suppose with nerves comes doubt so it's only natural to be feeling like this!! :afraid:
Reply 5
Yes, I'm really worried about interviews.. I've *never* had a proper interview before, I got my old job through a family member and my current one (auxiliary nursing) was quite informal actually.. and I think I got it because they were desperate :p:
Reply 6
has anybody got any tips or questions that i would be able to ask my interviewee for nursing?
:nurse:
Reply 7
When is you interview Becca? My one for Cardiff is this Saturday :afraid: if yours is later I can let you know how mine goes.. and you can learn from my mistakes :rolleyes: seriously not looking forward to it though.. but I'm sure it wont be nearly as bad as I'm imagining it.. think I need to think about it a bit more than I am though because I'm not prepared at all and I think it might be risky to try and 'wing it'
Reply 8
I got my interview for glamorgan on thursday and i am so nervous
Reply 9
Good luck guys I'm sure you'll be fine! Questions I think they may ask are:

Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
Why don't you want to be a doctor?
What healthcare experience have you had?

Errr I can't think of any others at the mo but I'll get back to you when I remember!
Reply 10
twiga
Good luck guys I'm sure you'll be fine! Questions I think they may ask are:

Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
Why don't you want to be a doctor?
What healthcare experience have you had?

Errr I can't think of any others at the mo but I'll get back to you when I remember!

:eek: I can't think of answers for the first 2! Guess I really am not ready at the moment! Cardiff gave some pointers on their questions for my interview:

Motivation towards a career in nursing.
Communication skills.
Awareness of the nature and demands of the Programme.
Understanding the nature of branch choices.

The 3rd and 4th ones I'm a bit :confused: on because I could answer them with like one line but nothing more in depth.. so think I'm going to read the prospectus / course outline etc really closely
Anon
:eek: I can't think of answers for the first 2! Guess I really am not ready at the moment! Cardiff gave some pointers on their questions for my interview:

Motivation towards a career in nursing.
Communication skills.
Awareness of the nature and demands of the Programme.
Understanding the nature of branch choices.

The 3rd and 4th ones I'm a bit :confused: on because I could answer them with like one line but nothing more in depth.. so think I'm going to read the prospectus / course outline etc really closely

For the 4th one try to state reasons why you chose that particular branch. For example I chose adult so I talked about the opportunities it offered me, the diversity of the work etc. Also try to demonstrate a knowledge of what a nurse in your chosen branch would be expected to do. It probably seems harder that it is. Remember they are not trying to catch you out, they are just making sure you know what you are going into. Good luck!! :smile:
Reply 12
Yeh, I was in a bit of a panic the last time.. after speaking to the person at Cardiff and the lady at Nottingham (both had queries) I'm not as nervous.. I think when I try and plan answers I become worse.. but I don't want to be totally unprepared either.. so it's trying to get a balance.. it's the waiting that gets to me.. if when they called they did the interview there and then over the phone it would have been fine.

I think Becca has her interview today (unless it was next Thursday) so fingers crossed it went well for her.. maybe you'll have someone to join you in the countdown to starting (though I think she's looking at sept 06 entry)
I agree, the waiting is the worse of it. Just make sure you have a few answers ready. Although you will probably find on the day that everything you were planning on saying you've forgotten but that you manage to come up with completely different answers out of thin air!! At least you only have one more day to wait and then it's over with...but of course then the wait for the outcome letter begins...!!

Good luck Becca (though she's probably had her interveiw by now!!) Let us know how you got on. :smile:
Reply 14
my interview went fine though i thought i didn't sell myself to them. i had a group discussion and there was only 5 of us. they just asked me to talk about myself, why i chose child nursing not teaching, they talked about my portfolio that i did, and also they asked why child nursing not adult nursing. i talked about my work experience and stuff like that it was just like a chat. they were so nice
:smile:
they will let me know if i have the offer around march
Reply 15
Hey, that's great.. long wait though! :frown: But at least it's over with :smile:

Just out of curiosity though, how do people choosing adult branch justify that choice over another branch? I mean I can't think of particular reasons I want to do adult.. I just do.. the areas you can cover with adult and child are pretty much the same, right? So the only difference is age.. but to say you don't want to or can't work with children surely would be a bad thing against you.. to say it was less competitive for adult shows lack of determination or whatever.. :confused:
Reply 16
i dont know to be honest, i said that i felt comfortable environment working with the children rather than adults because i felt i could relate to them more. with adult nursing you could say that child is so much pressure and also you could mention that you haven't done work experience with children anddone some with adult oap home etc therefore you feel from that experience you could relate to adult. the first year is the same for all nursing areas. child nursing goes into depth about working with the family and making the right emotional stuff like that.
Reply 17
Yeh.. I'd find it easier to argue why you want to work with children.. rather than why you dont.

EDIT: Post cut
Reply 18
Well I had my interview at Cardiff and it went pretty well.. was worried I talked too much actually :redface: but the ladies said that it was ok because they don't like to have to ask lots of questions, they (personally all might not be the same I don't know) preferred interviewees to take up 80-90% of the time talking.

- Tell us about yourself.
- What qualities do you think a nurse needs?
- You have work experience with children and adults but have chosen adult, why? (this was more to make sure it was a conscience choice and I had thought it through.. they don't really need you to justify it all that much.. went a lot either than I thought!)
- You've just started your first placement in the hospital, what kind of things do you expect to be doing?
- How much do you know about the course? (wanted structure of course and
what sort of things I thought would be learnt aside from medical stuff)

That's all I can think of from the top of my head.. there may have been more
Reply 19
Anon
Well I had my interview at Cardiff and it went pretty well.. was worried I talked too much actually :redface: but the ladies said that it was ok because they don't like to have to ask lots of questions, they (personally all might not be the same I don't know) preferred interviewees to take up 80-90% of the time talking.

- Tell us about yourself.
- What qualities do you think a nurse needs?
- You have work experience with children and adults but have chosen adult, why? (this was more to make sure it was a conscience choice and I had thought it through.. they don't really need you to justify it all that much.. went a lot either than I thought!)
- You've just started your first placement in the hospital, what kind of things do you expect to be doing?
- How much do you know about the course? (wanted structure of course and
what sort of things I thought would be learnt aside from medical stuff)

That's all I can think of from the top of my head.. there may have been more

That's really useful, thanks a lot for posting it :smile: I've got my first interview at Birmingham on 21st December and I'm so nervous!

Latest