The Student Room Group

How do I kill the mold on my walls?

I have mold that keeps growing on my bedroom walls. It started off as a small patch behind my desk but it's spreading. I keep cleaning it off so I can't see it there but I'm not properly killing all of it, including the spores so it keeps coming back. Someone told me bleach would get rid of it but would this ruin the paint?

What is the best way to permanently get rid of it, or should I call my landlady?

Scroll to see replies

Eat it. Saliva is sort of corrosive :awesome:
Reply 2
Call who ever you're renting it from, if they take the piss/you cba to call them; you can buy the stuff to kill the mould from b&q, i'll get back to you with a link later on.

A cheaper version though, vinegar and bicarbonate of soda mixed together.

That should kill it.
Original post by emi_sarb
I have mold that keeps growing on my bedroom walls. It started off as a small patch behind my desk but it's spreading. I keep cleaning it off so I can't see it there but I'm not properly killing all of it, including the spores so it keeps coming back. Someone told me bleach would get rid of it but would this ruin the paint?

What is the best way to permanently get rid of it, or should I call my landlady?

Cillit Bang!!
Bang!, and the dirt is gone :biggrin:
It does work, but neat bleach will wreck the paint. If I were you, I'd dilute some quite thoroughly, and test it on a tiny patch of the wall somewhere inconspicuous before you use it on the mould. But yes, it will work.
Reply 5
You will find mould killing spray in your nearest supermarket.

Try to keep your room warmer, dryer, and better ventilated (sometimes easier said than done, I'm aware)
Attack it with a dictionary.
definitely call your landlord/lady. they should be the people sorting this out, not you.

also make sure your room has adequate ventilation, you might be causing lots of condensation/dampness which is then allowing the mould to grow
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
The landlady should sort this out tbh, or at least pay for someone to do it. At the end of the day it's her place so anything that goes wrong is her responibility. Not really good for you to be breathing those spores in either!
xx
Original post by emi_sarb

its a very hard and long process depending on the amount....basically most times it will come back...your best option is to call them up and tell them to send someone around to clear the mold...it will always come back though so your best bet is to do that and when it does come back sue them...in the mean time keep all window in your house open for an hour a day..it airs out the house
Stab it.
Reply 11
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9254540&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB/categories%3C{9372013}/categories%3C{9372033}/categories%3C{9502022}/specificationsProductType=treatments&tmcampid=4&tmad=c&ecamp=cse_go&CAWELAID=266887923
Reply 12
Reply 13
Original post by posietoes
The landlady should sort this out tbh, or at least pay for someone to do it. At the end of the day it's her place so anything that goes wrong is her responibility. Not really good for you to be breathing those spores in either!
xx

Hi
Firstly you do need to contact the landlord so they can identify what is causing the mold, it could be something simple to fix. Just because it is a rented place does not automatically meant it is the responsibility of the landlord.

If the problem is with the house, the landlord is reponsible for fixing the issue.
If the problem is caused by the tenant then they are responsible for fixing the problem. If you have a reasonable landlord then they will no doubt have encountered problems before and will probably give you some great advice. He may have a dehumidifier you can borrow to help sort the problem.

Mold can only grow when there is a moisture problem.

You mentioned that the mold is behind your desk. If the desk is flat up against an outside wall rather than an internal wall this in itself can cause condensation to build up behind it, causing mold, worth checking!

Quick fixes: dont dry clothes in your room on radiator, regularly air room by opening window.
When you have cleaned the affected area with a diluted bleach, make sure you throw away all cloths used and wash your clothes straight away, those spores will spread otherwise.
Opening the window is NOT a solution. If the humidity outside is high it will make the problem worse. The problem is your room isn't warm enough. You need to get the temperature up. Keep the humidity down as well by not drying clothes in the room, etc..
Reply 15
*mould and do call your landlord, see what they say before trying to fix it yourself
Reply 16
you should call your landlord/lady. In my contract it was specifically written that if any damp or problems arose we had to let them know asap so they could sort it. Needless to say he didn't and just kept painting over the mould lmfao. I ended up with loads on my walls. I found the best thing you can do if your landlord doesn't do anything is keep your window open as much as possible, dilute some bleach and put it on the wall. Shouldn't really affect it. Although if you've got wallpaper instead of paint then it might do something dodgy so I would check with someone first... =/
Reply 17
Call your landlord... If you just clean it off, it'll eventually come back because there's an underlying problem..
All the people saying it's the landlady's responsibility are not quite right. I work in a lettings agent and in our standard contract says that it is the responsibilty of the tenant to ensure a room is kept well ventilated and mold free, so check your agreement first of all.

My boss usually suggests to people that they buy some mold killer and keep on top of it, and if it persists consider buying a dehumidifier.

It's a common problem at this time of year, because everyone has their heating on and the windows shut, so just try not to let it get out of control.
Reply 19
You should ask your landlord to fix this problem but you can also try to do it yourself.

I used some Dettol Mould and Mildew remover to kill the mold in my bathroom. This stuff stinks, you need to open the windows for a day or two but it worked great.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending