The Student Room Group

'Disciplinary action' at work, what does it mean?

I have a weekend job in a shop and two times lately I was a couple of minutes late back from my lunch break. My supervisor is a bit of a dick tbh, and he's told me off for this and said to me if it happens again that I will be reported to the boss and 'face disciplinary action'. What does this mean exactly? Does it mean I will be taken in the office and shouted at or something? I'm actually quite scared, cos I don't like being shouted at and would probably end up in tears lol.
Probably receive a spanking. :spank:
Reply 2
It could be anything from harsh words to dismissal to be honest, really depends on your record and the people.

Shouldn't be too serious for what you've told us though :smile:
It means the warning system- generally it goes something like this- caution- verbal warning- written warning- second written warning- fired. Differs from place to place. They can skip straight to first written if they deem it serious enough. They will basically lay out the reasons why you're being cautioned/warned, and it will all be recorded. You are entitled to a witness. If you improve your lates I can't see it getting too serious- maybe a caution!
Kick in the rear, or just a talking down, it could be anything
Reply 5
Seriously? They're gonna punish you for being a couple of minutes late?
When I was working last summer I messed up on the debit/credit card machines constantly costing the company over £60 in a week and the daughter of the boss just wrote out some form and was like "you gonna do it again?" and I was like "nopes" and that was it.
Don't worry too much :smile:
Reply 6
It means you're going to get sacked.
Reply 7
Original post by Sammy_fou
Seriously? They're gonna punish you for being a couple of minutes late?
When I was working last summer I messed up on the debit/credit card machines constantly costing the company over £60 in a week and the daughter of the boss just wrote out some form and was like "you gonna do it again?" and I was like "nopes" and that was it.
Don't worry too much :smile:

In a factory with 20 people, if everyone is 3 minutes late, you've pissed away 1 man-hour.

Remember, you're paid to do work. Tardiness and break abuse is something I take very seriously at work, particularly as I'm the poor mug that has to stay behind after the end of the shift to get all the orders completed.
i am in full time been on sick 2 weeks had 2 see boss i have been off 22 days in the last 12 month happens again i could face disciplinary next time but when i have been off its been good reasons and i have had sick notes in should be going back monday but i still feel that am not ready yet and am to scared to ring them .
Original post by daglish456
i am in full time been on sick 2 weeks had 2 see boss i have been off 22 days in the last 12 month happens again i could face disciplinary next time but when i have been off its been good reasons and i have had sick notes in should be going back monday but i still feel that am not ready yet and am to scared to ring them .

If you're not fit to work, you're not fit to work. The trouble is, if you're not fit to work, then your employer isn't getting the work they need doing, done. Sickness means that you're unreliable and it's reasonable and quite common for an employer to manage people through the disciplinary process for excessive sickness.

At the company where I used to be a senior manager, we managed people using the Bradford Factor and had a rolling window of a year where the threshold score was 64. It's worked out using the formula occasions² x duration. So if you're off once for 2 weeks, that's 1x1x10=10 but if you're off 4 times for a day at a time, that's 4x4x4=64, which would start the disciplinary process.
Reply 10
I can't imagine having to deal with scumbags dick sucking *******s who are kissing ass to get a penny raise, especially in a stressful enough society where most of us are living to work and not working to live so here's one for all you wanna'bes Fu** you! I'm rather nice with my employees btw.
I have just been suspended from work for allegedly walking off site whilst doing overtime shift . I finished my 8hrs as obliged then left . This was sataday on Monday I was told I was suspended on grounds of gross misconduct yet this is an excuse to cover my concern that I have raised due to over exposure to hazardous material and dust and the practice of health and safety and lack of ppe. I have a 100/ record and never had a warning etc ware do u think I stand and what will be the outcome of works investigation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending