The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by ilyking
there's nothing wrong with not being posh Mariam ali sharif abdi, it's alright!

the fact that you consider yourself to be posh shows you want to be posh and you achieve this by portraying a false image through the internet.. why do you want to be posh anyway? :hmmmm2:

I don't consider myself posh, what part of that don't you understand? :rolleyes: Why have you decided to wage a vendetta against me anyway? I object to all judgement on me as you do not know me personally, therefore you cannot comment accurately. I'm not posh but nor am I common, I am middle-class, and I have never pretended to be anything otherwise. I have never said I am posh, I said others say I'm posh, there is a difference. Lol I'm just myself on here, I don't feel I have anything to prove to anonymous strangers on the internet personally, but hey ho!
Reply 161
Original post by .Ali.

Original post by .Ali.
I love you. :tongue: I'm always getting bashed on TSR for being 'posh' and always called stuck up (I don't think I am but anyway!) simply because I have class, morals and decency, and I think it's nice to see someone stating that these are good things. It doesn't take much, a little manners and sophistication goes a long way to be honest. :smile:

Wow. I think somebody's green gems fell off quickly.

Yes of course OP everyone prefers posh girls, more classy, more educated (they have things to talk about, more cultured, and know how to structure a sentence without adding ge' me or d'ya knaa 'a mean d'oh) and just generally more woman like. Men prefer that.

Although somebody not posh could also be of a similar standard if she dressed in proper clothes rather than just covering her bits, being able to speak well, and just generally not being a vodka-drinking slapper in the park.
Reply 162
Original post by .meh.
Wow. I think somebody's green gems fell off quickly.

Yes of course OP everyone prefers posh girls, more classy, more educated (they have things to talk about, more cultured, and know how to structure a sentence without adding ge' me or d'ya knaa 'a mean d'oh) and just generally more woman like. Men prefer that.

Although somebody not posh could also be of a similar standard if she dressed in proper clothes rather than just covering her bits, being able to speak well, and just generally not being a vodka-drinking slapper in the park.

Haha apparently so, even though I didn't say anything particularly offensive or controversial. :rolleyes:
Reply 163
Original post by tillywaingate
Ok, fair enough, I was afraid I might come accross as p****d, but I was merely putting the question forward for clarification :smile:

Haha you did seem like you were a bit offended before but it's cool :smile: I think we just had different definitions of common people a bit. I'd probably class myself the same as you :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
To start with, I fit into the “posh girl” category. My father is a CEO and my mother is a traditional housewife and I was sent to one of the top girls public school in the country since the age of 11 after going to prep school.

If I must class the people in my social circle, I could tell you that only 2% of the people actually belong to the upper-class (families with aristocratic backgrounds, well-known surnames, old money from many generations ago, big names of whichever country they are from etc.), and the majority are made up of upper-middle class and middle class (from doctors, lawyers, civil servant, business directors to teachers etc), with a few from army family backgrounds (hence a huge reduction in day/boarding fees).

Responding to the op, I could tell you that your assumption of “posh girls” are not the most accurate account. Indeed, there are girls (mostly upper class) who are well-mannered, real to themselves, simply dressed etc, basically all the good things you can associate “posh girls” with. But today his category of girls are very rare (even in the public school social circle, not just any ordinary boarding schools) as there were minorities to start with, and as the society changed over time only a few remains. I can tell you this group of people are relaxed, comfortable with being themselves, open-minded about different people in the society and are generally accepting of new ideas. They are the civilised, friendly, real and non attention seeking bunch. These people are often looked up by many and surrounded by the upper middle class lot because this is ultimately where a lot of people aspire or aim to become a part of. In my personal experience, my friends who fit in this category are indeed the most lovely people I've got to know, but along with others of course.

Going down the “hierarchy” (sorry to use such a sensitive word, I'm personally against the idea of "class" but it does exist in this social circle and is a prominent feature of British heritage), you get the upper-middle class.
This is the type that is perhaps, often associated with the term “rahs” (shortened for rich ass****s). This is the group where people tend to split and behave differently. This family background of this group ranges from clever/hard working parents who have earned a considerable amount of wealth over time but did not necessarily have any substantial net wealth or “the family name”, to those who used to have old money but have lost track of the way to continue making that money (basically people who are living off their old glory). While you get girls who are very well-mannered or act like normal girls, you somewhat get a good number of girls who likes to fling the “I’m better” or "oh I'm so posh" attitude in your face - this category of girls are the ones who emphasise that they are better by showing a snobbish attitude - by all means they are the upper-class wannabes that shadow the behaviour of the upper-class.
Girls wise, things start to get messy. Many of these upper-class wannabes are two-faced, judgmental, narrow-minded, get drunk, easily laid, and do basically anything to try to make them seem “higher class than you”, hence making others inferior. For example, particularly in girls public schools, when you get socials (where girls meet boys from other public schools) they would get with any boys from Eton, Winchester etc. and brag about it afterwards. Put it in simple words they would do purposely do things to associate themselves with the upper-class and as being “posh”, and many occasions of which involve social climbing.
Outsiders of this social circle will probably find these girls "posh" but snobbish. Despite the nastiness, the ironic thing is that some of these girls could appear very well-mannered, but actually, this whole mannerism is a lot to do with acting up to who they believe they are - its a mindset of "because we are of a higher class than you so we must act up to it" - so in honesty it is just pure hypocrisy.

Having grown up in a social circle with people ranging from upper-class to middle-class due to schooling, I am neutral with the idea of poshness: I really think it is ultimately down to the individual instead of the class they come from or how "posh" they may seem. It is true that you can't change what you're born into and you won't become an upper-class unless via marriage (eg. Kate Middleton) or some kind of formal recognition. I personally give equal respects to a well-mannered working class and a well-mannered upper class. Ultimately, I dislike the idea of forcing people to fit into classes - individuals should not be pushed into a group and be expected to behave the same way because after all, we are all different.

Cannot agree more.

Op, I sincerely hope that some of the comments here have given you a better insight of what the girls of this narrow part of the society are really like. Yes, some "posh" girls are truly wonderful, but at the same time a lot of them definitely have a much darker, if not disgusting side to how they appear on the surface.

-K

Wow, great post!
Reply 165
Posh girls are lovely! :smile:
who the fck are your saying sorry to? the white trash girls? i'm sure they have enough chavs to occupy them
Original post by ironandwine
me and my fake tan will find someone else, don't worry.

Me ? :perv:
Guys ! Don't argue over fantasies and imaginations of posh girls . If you really wanna see it in reality you need to have a look at London Waterloo Station . It's the posh girls central of whole world for god's sake ! and that's because all the trains departing from the station go to affluent west london suburbs like windsor or ascot etc . You just need to stand there and watch the people and you'll see 8 in 10 people getting past are posh girls wearing white trainers with their bare and slim ankles . really classy ! :colondollar:
Wow OP my friend went out with a girl who went to a grammar school and she had the morals of paris hilton. You really can not buy class its just depends on your personailty.
good for you? every man has their own tastes...I just don't see why this should warrant a thread/massive "hoo-har"....
Original post by .Ali.
Haha apparently so, even though I didn't say anything particularly offensive or controversial. :rolleyes:

I think it's more to do with how you come across??

Re-read the post that got mass neg-repped....the words "stuck up" come
to mind m'fraid m'am
Dont instantly make the assumption that "posh" girls have class, which is what you are asserting here as being attractive.

Any woman, from any back ground can have class - although I will say that this poise is more prevalent in girls from a better off background, at least in my experience.

Dont confuse this with it being exclusive to them, however.
I go to St. Andrews university, and I can assure you that poshness does not equal sophistication.
Reply 174
Original post by .Ali.
I love you. :tongue: I'm always getting bashed on TSR for being 'posh' and always called stuck up (I don't think I am but anyway!) simply because I have class, morals and decency, and I think it's nice to see someone stating that these are good things. It doesn't take much, a little manners and sophistication goes a long way to be honest. :smile:

See, this attitude is the problem. I always get called "posh" by a lot of my friends (most of them working-class) but I wholeheartedly reject the term, because I don't think being educated or having a middle class background will necessarily embed you with any of the qualities you describe "class" "morals" "decency" belonging solely to the rich - bs.

Class is a most disgusting term. One cannot help the socio-economic group they are born into.

"Morals" - what are morals? No sex before marriage? You can argue that people from a more middle-class background are likelier to abstain - but if you are a non-believer, I don't see what this means.

I prefer the latter term to describe exemplary human behaviour which is "decency". In my personal experience, "decency" does not correlate with socio-economic status. Some would argue that poor people are more decent because they have to help each other to survive - they could have a point. Some would argue that the rich are more decent because they are beyond living in survival and can afford to be more gracious - they could have a point.

When I was a teen and into uni, coming from an educated background and being brainwashed by the media I had a lot of snobby attitudes towards the working class, which, being a proper adult now (late 20s) I have realised none of them are true.

Sheltered university kids (which I'm guessing comprises a lot of TSR) really need to get out of their bubbles and understand real life, and this can help them get over their judgement and prejudice.

Posh girls?

Yes, they have been given value from their parents and schools for just "being themselves" and their brains, potential in life etc.

When you're brought up working class, unfortunately, survival is key ("posh" people don't understand this given their privilege) and must be attained by any means - yes, they tend to overplay their attractiveness, because most have a lot less going for them - simply due to the lottery that is life.

Then people will argue - well, they should better themselves. Than what? Cleaners? Bartenders? Shop assistants?

Again, this is the middle-class delusion. Capitalism REQUIRES the vast amount of the population to work these jobs (and then it uses the media to ridicule them). Bankers? In actuality, banking, marketing etc and much of these jobs are a net negative to society. Cleaners? Without them, society will not function.

This is turning into a class-rant. But anyway, your post is extremely snobby.

But I don't blame you. My thinking used to mirror yours. You are at the beginning of your intellectual journey. This is day 1. I hope you are late teens (I was when I thought like you). I hope within 10 years you will have experienced more of real life.

P.S. You're probably getting "bashed for being stuck-up" because you are. The tongue-out faced emotion says everything. If you genuinely believed you were being called stuck-up when you weren't - you would be angry about it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 175
Original post by Desperate Prayer
Dont instantly make the assumption that "posh" girls have class, which is what you are asserting here as being attractive.

Any woman, from any back ground can have class - although I will say that this poise is more prevalent in girls from a better off background, at least in my experience.

Dont confuse this with it being exclusive to them, however.

THIS! You condensed my post.
Reply 176
Why are you apologising? Anyone who knows me, knows I agree with this too. hahaha
Reply 177
Original post by nucdev

Spoiler

Spoiler

Are there any posh women on this site?
Apology accepted :u:

Latest

Trending

Trending