The Student Room Group

A4 Envelope postage information

Quick question people.

I have an A4 sized envelope and inside are about 8 magazines. The package weighs about 100-200g at most. And in terms of size, is A4 and about 1.5-2cm deep.

The question is, I have some first class stamps on me. If I was to just stick 2 on this and put it in the post, would it be enough or do I need to go down to the post office?

Reply 1
http://sg.royalmail.com/portal/rm/PriceFinder;jsessionid=RFUPDKGBUOAFOFB2IGKUNZQ?pageId=pc_sltc_rm_search&catId=23500532&keyname=search&_DARGS=/portal/rmgroup/apps/templates/html/rm/search.jsp

Type in the weight in grams and it'll come up with options for sizes. You'll get the price to send and you can judge accordingly.

A4 = 210 x 297mm by the way.
Reply 2
Original post by kat2pult
http://sg.royalmail.com/portal/rm/PriceFinder;jsessionid=RFUPDKGBUOAFOFB2IGKUNZQ?pageId=pc_sltc_rm_search&catId=23500532&keyname=search&_DARGS=/portal/rmgroup/apps/templates/html/rm/search.jsp

Type in the weight in grams and it'll come up with options for sizes. You'll get the price to send and you can judge accordingly.

A4 = 210 x 297mm by the way.

Thanks, it comes out to £0.96 first class which is okay but I'd like to know whether I can just bung on two first class stamps as their total value exceeds £0.96 or do I need to print out a specific stamp for this.
Reply 3
Original post by n_251
Thanks, it comes out to £0.96 first class which is okay but I'd like to know whether I can just bung on two first class stamps as their total value exceeds £0.96 or do I need to print out a specific stamp for this.

You don't need a specific stamp.

A small first class stamp is £0.41, a large first class is £0.66, and a small second class stamp is £0.32, so try using a small second and large first :smile:
When I did something similar I just put on 3 regular size first class stamps as I had them available, and put it in the post as normal.

Obviously if you want and it is convenient you can go into the post office and pay the exact postage if you'd prefer.
Reply 5
Original post by Duck and Cover
When I did something similar I just put on 3 regular size first class stamps as I had them available, and put it in the post as normal.

Obviously if you want and it is convenient you can go into the post office and pay the exact postage if you'd prefer.

Thanks, I did the same today.

Another question. If the weight of the package exceeds that of a "large letter", then will my it get returned to me or what?
Reply 6
Original post by n_251
Thanks, I did the same today.

Another question. If the weight of the package exceeds that of a "large letter", then will my it get returned to me or what?

Either it will get returned if you put a return address on it, or the recipient will have to go to the post office to fetch it and pay the difference (usually plus a £1 or £2 excess). I had to do that for a package that had 2p too little postage on it - cost me £2.02!
Thought I would post in hereinstead of starting a new thread.

I have posted a letter, 1 sheet of paper, in an a4 envelope with only 1 first class stamp on it. I now realise that you need to put 2 first class stamps on it.

What will happen to my letter ? And is there any way that I could get the letter back and put another stamp on it ?
Any help anyone ? What can I do ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending