The Student Room Group

tax year problem

hey im a 22 year old student studying access to higher education..

i just went on the student finance calculator for next years uni (as im hoping to go to exeter).. i filled it all out but it asked for my parents earning tax year april 09 - april 10.. which left me with only a maintence loan of 3,700.. but the accomodation is about that.

how the hell am i meant to go to uni? it said i dont count for the grant, but if it took this past year rather than 09-10 i would because my parents havent been working since april 2010.

im sorry if this has been put on here a lot its just im very worried and p"!%£" off about this.
The maintenance loan is based on salary (unless you opted to withhold this information).
Check if withholding the salary will increase your maintenance loan.

Either way, your parents are expected to support you, so the higher their salary, the lower your maintenance loan.
Reply 2
If your parents income in 2011/12 is likely to be more than 15% lower than the assessment year of 2009/10, you can apply to be assessed on a current year income basis (they can estimate their 11/12 income and provide evidence after the tax year ends in April 2012).

Your parents will still need to provide full 2009/10 financial evidence to prove their previous level of earnings. I can't see the forms on the Direct gov website for the current year income assessment so you will need to phone and request for them to be sent out to you.
Reply 3
cheers minimal, i rang up and said what you did and your right! thanks for the help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending