The Student Room Group

Ireland. british or irish?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by bestofyou
Irish Republicans and Irish Nationalists are the same only in regards to the issuse unification. Gerry Adams is a Republican, he leds a Republican party. Ritchie is a Nationalist, she leds a Nationalist party.

Sinn Fein is an Irish nationalist political party. There's no real point arguing this, it is objective fact. The IRA were an Irish nationalist paramilitary group. Both were also Republicans.

Exactly, just like everyone else in the world, your opinion is of no more or less significance than anyone elses. Just because you believe in something doesn't make everyone who believe in different wrong.

Yes, it does, insofar as I'm concerned.

That there exists people who, for example, think the earth is flat, that it's OK to stone homosexuals to death and that black people aren't human beings is immaterial to me. They are wrong, I am right.

Your too narrow minded if you think you can argue such views as to whos politically correct and whos not.

I'm arguing between right and wrong, and if you're unable to see the difference between those two concepts then you're frankly not a creature of any sort of moral choice. Nationalism is wrong.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by L i b
Sinn Fein is an Irish nationalist political party. There's no real point arguing this, it is objective fact. The IRA were an Irish nationalist paramilitary group. Both were also Republicans.

Yes, it does, insofar as I'm concerned.

That there exists people who, for example, think the earth is flat, that it's OK to stone homosexuals to death and that black people aren't human beings is immaterial to me. They are wrong, I am right.

I'm arguing between right and wrong, and if you're unable to see the difference between those two concepts then you're frankly not a creature of any sort of moral choice. Nationalism is wrong.

You do realise that the DUP's wanting to maintain the union is just as much nationalist as Sein Finns goal of united Ireland though don't you?
Original post by L i b

prove it. Your are right so I wan to see how this conclusion came about
Original post by garethDT
I think there should either be a complete alliance of the British isles or none at all. It's unfair that Ireland have their independence from the crown but Scotland and Wales don't.

It's not unfair, Ireland is its own country, its own piece of land. Why should the British have anything to with it? Its OURS
Why can't people just stick their heads out of the clouds and accept the vast majority of us are multi-national. Nationality in terms of human history is a very modern invention. Not forgetting a very dangerous and pointlessly dividing ideology.

I am a black person who is born in West Central London, in England, in Britain, in Europe with Caribbean grand parents and with White and Black American great great grand parents.

So yes I tick the silly English, British or Black British or Afro British or Afro-Caribbean British box. But really, does it actually matter?

p.s nothing wrong with being happy where you are born and enjoying some international sport for fun. But getting bothered when some one calls you British and not Scottish? calm down.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 185
Original post by Phonicschick
It's not unfair, Ireland is its own country, its own piece of land. Why should the British have anything to with it? Its OURS

So how does that make it different to Scotland or Wales? You could say the exact same thing about them.
are you fuxking serious?!!!! how the hell could ireland be british!!? thats like saying france is british!!!
Original post by bansheeee*
are you fuxking serious?!!!! how the hell could ireland be british!!? thats like saying france is british!!!

You remind me of my 14 year old self
i just chowked on my powtaytose
Reply 189

Plenty of people, mainly in Northern Ireland, see themselves as simultaneously British and Irish. There's no contradiction in that. As for the Irish Republic, plenty of states have irredentist relations with other states: Argentina claims the Falkland Islands for example, China considers Taiwan to be Chinese, and even the Irish constitution suggests that all of Ireland is one nation.

There is nothing particularly unusual about considering Ireland part of a British family of nations despite it being a separate state. Nor, indeed, would there be anything particularly odd about Ireland accepting that to some degree yet remaining independent: Commonwealth countries have remained included in some idea of Britishness even after independence.

This has been replaced somewhat by a Commonwealth identity, and I'd be very happy to see the Irish state become part of this community. There is real support for it in Ireland, and in the words of Shridath Ramphal, former Secretary General, "nothing but welcome awaits her in the Commonwealth when she feels ready to come home". Hell, you could perhaps even persuade the British Government to demolish that statue of the old tyrant Oliver Cromwell which sits outside our Parliament.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by L i b
Plenty of people, mainly in Northern Ireland, see themselves as simultaneously British and Irish. There's no contradiction in that. As for the Irish Republic, plenty of states have irredentist relations with other states: Argentina claims the Falkland Islands for example, China considers Taiwan to be Chinese, and even the Irish constitution suggests that all of Ireland is one nation.

There is nothing particularly unusual about considering Ireland part of a British family of nations despite it being a separate state. Nor, indeed, would there be anything particularly odd about Ireland accepting that to some degree yet remaining independent: Commonwealth countries have remained included in some idea of Britishness even after independence.

This has been replaced somewhat by a Commonwealth identity, and I'd be very happy to see the Irish state become part of this community. There is real support for it in Ireland, and in the words of Shridath Ramphal, former Secretary General, "nothing but welcome awaits her in the Commonwealth when she feels ready to come home". Hell, you could perhaps even persuade the British Government to demolish that statue of the old tyrant Oliver Cromwell which sits outside our Parliament.

I think part of the GFA needed the 'republic' to renounce claims for the 6 counties. Also, I doubt the 'republic' would return to the commonwealth.
Original post by Psyk
So how does that make it different to Scotland or Wales? You could say the exact same thing about them.

Yes but that doesn't make it unfair that one gained its independence and the others didn't. It's not as if it was willingly granted with no effort to obtain it. I would be dubious of lumping the three countries together as if they have all had the same relationship with England historically though.
Reply 192
Original post by StarsAreFixed
Yes but that doesn't make it unfair that one gained its independence and the others didn't. It's not as if it was willingly granted with no effort to obtain it. I would be dubious of lumping the three countries together as if they have all had the same relationship with England historically though.

So would I, but Phonicschick didn't really explain their point just stated that it's "it's ours!". Well the land I live on is mine (well it's technically not, but you get my point), but that doesn't necessarily mean it's right for my land to be a sovereign country. Not that I'm saying Ireland should be part of Britain, just that you'd have to be a bit more specific about why it should be independent and other places shouldn't.
Reply 193
I am from Northern Ireland and would never refer to myself as Irish as I am not from Ireland. I refer to myself as British or Northern Irish. imo, Ireland and Northern Ireland are two different countries, controlled by two different governments. And nor do I ever refer to northern ireland as Ireland. As far as I'm concerned, Ireland and Northern Ireland share a piece of land and not much else. Though I am glad about all the power share, there needed to be compromise. But I am proud to be British!!!
Reply 194
Quick question: If Ireland is in the British Isles, does that make Irish British in that sense?
Original post by Calanon
Quick question: If Ireland is in the British Isles, does that make Irish British in that sense?

Does the Irish sea make the west coast of Britain Irish? It is the same thing really, these days anyway. The geographical term does not have any other influence.
I would regard a person from Northern Ireland as Irish. After all, we are the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland is not part of Britain (short form of Great Britain, not British Isles), but it is part of the UK.

'Team GB' is a complete misnomer, for example, as it represents Northern Ireland too.

Errm, my point was that Wales and Scotland should be independent as well
Reply 198
Original post by garethDT
Errm, my point was that Wales and Scotland should be independent as well

i think their point was (in a more rational way), why should ireland wales and scotland either all be independant or or part of the uk. Ireland is its own country and fought for centuries to be independent. What wales and scotland want is their business, and theirs alone! What Ireland do is irrelevant to them. It's not like Ireland won a coin toss and got to choose if it wanted to be independent or not...fairness has nothing to to do with this...

I also got the impression they don't want total independence. I could be wrong their though...
Original post by Lorchii
i think their point was (in a more rational way), why should ireland wales and scotland either all be independant or or part of the uk. Ireland is its own country and fought for centuries to be independent. What wales and scotland want is their business, and theirs alone! What Ireland do is irrelevant to them. It's not like Ireland won a coin toss and got to choose if it wanted to be independent or not...fairness has nothing to to do with this...

I also got the impression they don't want total independence. I could be wrong their though...

The way I see it, there should either be independent countries or a federal alliance. The current mish-mash is unfair.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending