The Student Room Group

Microgynon pill to Rigevidon anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Hi this has also happened to me. I have not done the continuation of the pill as I was also not told. Have you had an side effects? I was contently hungry when I first started taking it and now I am on my break and I am feeling very sick and not myself. I didn't have an side effect from microgynon :-(
I was switched to Rigevidon after 8 yrs on Microgynon, the doctor explained that this was a cheaper option for the NHS and that it was "the same thing", I gave it a good seven months thinking that the mood swings I had in the first months were just a settling in period, but they became a monthly thing, to the extent that people started commenting on it. I know they're theoretically the same thing, but my reaction suggest there's something different in there. On the plus side when I went to my doctor and explained this, she was happy to put me back on Microgynon. Frankly the number of posts on here that mention similar side effects should suggest that they need to do a proper review of this to find out why there's such a marked change for some of us between the two.
Hi all; has anyone had any experience of switching from Yasmin to Lucette?

Like microgynon / rigevidon, Lucette is the cheaper generic form of yasmin and is made under the same brand. It has exactly the same active ingredients, as yasmin, but I also think it's not as god as the original. I used yasmin very happily for about 4 years and after about 3 months on Lucette I feel like my libido has gone down, I seem more prone to yeast infections & dryness & I keep getting headaches. It's not drastic, but it's equally not all that pleasant!

I understand the NHS trying to save money but the experience of going to see your GP and being switched without being given full information is super frustrating! Might make an appointment to see if I can switch back and if not, get a prescription and pay for yasmin myself!!
I was also switched and I feel that my old one was a lot better, I get period pains on this one & I didn't on my old one.
Reply 144
I've been on Rigevidon for 6 weeks now and for someone already falling into depression it amplified everything to the point of having breakdowns for no reason in public. Walking up feeling very emotional became common alongside mood swings, feeling withdrawn from many things and having the attitude of not caring. I was also tired a lot. I usually would have an afternoon nap but not sleep well at night. I am now heading to the doctors to talk about changing my pill and anti depressants. If you are going on the pill make sure you mention slight depression if you feel you could be already!!
Wow guys these replies are mind-blowing for me! I've been on Rigevidon for the past two years (never been on anything else) and I feel like I've been absolutely fine. No depression (other than the normal) or weight gain (other than expected due to bad nutrition/exercise). Have had the same sexual partner for most of that time and have never even had as much as a pregnancy scare. Just letting people new to the pill know that Rigevidon doesn't have to be a horror story!
Reply 146
After having my youngest daughter, I was on a pill which was suitable for breastfeeding. In dec last year I was ready for a normal pill so went to the nurse.

I had tried numerous pills in the past and said I awas happy to try microgynon again . She told me that it would be rigevidon as they are required to give the cheaper option. Since march I have had 3 episodes of extreme cramping in my stomach, I am due to have a colonoscopy tomorrow to investigate as they think I may have ulcerative colitis. Also just had a routine smear test whovh has shown abnormal results so have to go for a colposcopy. I have no idea if either is related to this pill but given the experiences being shared here, I am not confident at all.

I have also been experiencing mood swings, lack of libido and tiredness.

I think it may time the hubby went for the snip thsn I will come off the pill
I'd like to add there are 2 more ingredients in rigevidon that are not in microgynon. I have now changed back to microgynon as I was having seriously awful side effects from rigevidon I am now absolutely symptoms free.
Hi I've been in Rigevidon for some time now but the last two months I have not had a period during my 7 day break. I'm not pregnant. Has anyone else experienced this please
Been on Rigevidon for a month (previously on Microgynon for 4 years). Today I went and begged the nurse to switch me back. I've gained weight, had severe head aches and stomach cramps, spotting and generally feel miserable and withdrawn with severe mood swings that are causing chaos in my relationship. Anyone who has been on Microgynon previously and has swapped to Rigevidon and don't feel themselves please please please go to your doctors and swap back! We shouldn't have to feel like this just for the NHS to save a few pence. (P.s Superdrug sell Microgynon online for £25.00 for 6 months supply of pills)
Can u tell me what the difference is
Original post by hannah0520
I'd like to add there are 2 more ingredients in rigevidon that are not in microgynon. I have now changed back to microgynon as I was having seriously awful side effects from rigevidon I am now absolutely symptoms free.
what are the differences
A girl died after switching to rigevidon (probably coincidence, but still scary).

http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/19/girl-dies-just-25-days-after-taking-contraceptive-pill-rigevido-court-hears-5632491/
I took Rigevidon for two months and is easily the worst decision of my life - gained 10 kgs in two months! Stopped taking it and honestly one week later I felt so much better about myself, the weight dropped off as easily as it had come on. Been off it for a month now and I'm pretty much back to normal, but so much happier and positive off Rigevidon. Didn't realise how much of an impact it had had on my body and mentality.
Reply 154
Where you on microgynon before ?

Original post by ally77
I took Rigevidon for two months and is easily the worst decision of my life - gained 10 kgs in two months! Stopped taking it and honestly one week later I felt so much better about myself, the weight dropped off as easily as it had come on. Been off it for a month now and I'm pretty much back to normal, but so much happier and positive off Rigevidon. Didn't realise how much of an impact it had had on my body and mentality.
Original post by 268
Where you on microgynon before ?

No, that was the first pill I was prescribed
Reply 156
Why dont you ask the pharmacy, they know more about the drugs than any doctor.
Original post by Anonymous
So glad I came across this thread!

Same story as everyone else really! Was on Microgynon happily for about 3 years, went to get my prescription about 2 months ago and was suddenly handed Rigevidon and told it was the same thing (although i was sceptical)

I have been taking Rigevidon for about 2 months now. Have been experiencing chronic depression, sleeping all day and then all night- not wanting to get out of bed, crying all the time and terrible moodswings. It is not normal PMT!
Feel like I have been taken over by someone who is not me and its really getting me down :frown:

I couldn't think why this would be happening and the only change has been the pill I'm taking so thought I would google it to see if by chance people had experienced the same things!

I will defiantly be phoning my doctor in the morning!

This thread is quite old but I've recently been feeling quite down the last few weeks, not wanting to get out of bed, feeling quite down and lonely, irritability with my anxiety being all out of wack. Thought it might have been stress of college but its usually better when I'm on my 7 day break and then I found this thread to wonder if it is Rigevidon. I've been on it for longer than most women on here but have only noticed symptoms now? Is this something I should go to my doctor about?
After such bad reviews for rigividon have swapped to
Microgynon apparently microgynon is more expensive and that's why they try to prescribe rigividon instead ! Hope that helps
Reply 159
I was on Microgynon for just over 2 years and had no mood swings, lighter periods and even lost weight. My doctor switched my prescription to Rigevidon three months ago and since then I've been feeling very down a lot and started getting spots on my face. I've also put on a few pounds and I'm getting cramps. She said she may have to move me onto a different pill as I've had high blood pressure lately, but I think that's down to stress rather than the pill. Going in to see her tomorrow, very frustrating. Glad I've found this thread though and now I know others are in the same situation!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest