The Student Room Group

I knew they were crap, but they're even worse!

My boyfriend is a software engineer, and yesterday, i showed him my UCAS track. I didnt realise at the time that such a simple thing would confirm just how crap ucas is.

Ok... so Paul loves looking at how other people's programs and software works... so he was fiddling around wit the UCAS track... he managed to hack it in 2 mins flat. It was ridiculous! Just by changing some stuff in the address bar, he could see other people's choices (but not personal details may i add).

We had to phone up straight away and tell them! UCAS really are *****! They didnt even write thier software with tests for that sort of thing! grrrr.

I think that its things like this that keep UCAS so backlogged. Now they'll have spent loads of time and money today having to fix this when if theyd just written the software properly in the first place... theyre just soooo inefficient!

Scroll to see replies

you have a very bad boyfriend.... :biggrin:

Could he hack my track? add some offers? so i can protest if UCAs denies they are real?

EDIT: This´is a joke... (please don#t tell him to hack my account) :smile:
how?
Reply 3
austrian guy
you have a very bad boyfriend.... :biggrin:

Could he hack my track? add some offers? so i can protest if UCAs denies they are real?

EDIT: This´is a joke... (please don#t tell him to hack my account) :smile:
LMAO... can i just make it clear now that he would never do it again... he's not vindictive... he's just very proud of his own software, and likes to discredit other people's lol.
Reply 4
your bf sounds proper sorted :biggrin:

wheres he going?
Reply 5
:eek: That's so shocking, haha! I suppose we should be grateful they can't see personal details. Your boyfriend sounds "da bomb" though.
Reply 6
killerbee
your bf sounds proper sorted :biggrin:

wheres he going?

Going? If you mean uni, h'es not lol. He's got his own company. And no, he's not 30 lol
Reply 7
Thank you for pointing this out. Stupid UCAS. Thank you for telling them. You boyfriend obviously is a brain!
Reply 8
wo! im lost for words! this is seriously shocking!....the title of the thread couldnt have been more appropriate as to what i make of this! :eek:
Reply 9
Im not shocked but its quite worrying
Reply 10
what i'm worried about is, now that you've made this public (on a public students forum), people might take advantage of this knowledge.

thanks for letting us know, btw.
hmm... I don't understand how this gets anybody anywhere... you see their choices.... does that help?
I mean you cant exactly change them in any way....
Reply 12
what if a more sophisticated hacker comes along?? *worried*
but that's besides the point.
i would feel uncomfortable if some random unknown person can see my choices.
wouldn't you?
Reply 13
:eek:
Not that hard to be honest but i wouldn't risk it.
Reply 15
So what if you can see other people's choices? Is that a big deal?
woot, thats wrong :|
Reply 17
Tell UCAS of the problem and have them fix it. Thanks for discovering it, and don't misuse it. :wink:
Reply 18
Iscariot
So what if you can see other people's choices? Is that a big deal?

No, not in itself, but it's worrying that its such an easy mistake for UCAS to make in their software. What other mistakes have they made.
LawHopeful
No, not in itself, but it's worrying that its such an easy mistake for UCAS to make in their software. What other mistakes have they made.

Exactly, they should make the system more secure.

Latest

Trending

Trending