The Student Room Group

Forced to take Statistics: HELP!?

hiya,
ive got a small problem at school. we took our terminal maths paper in january and therefore completed the full maths gcse course in january (i think the school does this so that anyone who fails can re-sit in the summer).
anyway, i got an a* after literally locking myself in my room, every day, for about six weeks and constantly revising (i only got a b in the mocks so i was really pleased).
in september the head of maths told me that anyone who passes has the option of studying statistics following the maths results and getting a second maths gcse. i told him then that i would not do statistics and he was fine with it.
then i got the a* in march and he told me that i HAD to take statistics and i have no choice!? i know it sounds stupid but i really struggle with maths and to get an a* i had to work myself to death; it sounds like im lying but im not someone who just understands maths!
so i told him that i didnt want to do statistics, and told him how hard i had to work to get the a* but he just did not listen. "because i got an a* i must be a whizz at maths" but im really not. everybody else who took statistics had the choice but yet i didnt?
is he allowed to force me to do statistics? - especially after he told me that it was only optional?
any feedback would be appreciated, thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just don't go to the exam/complete CW. I don't think they'll give you a U, just an X because you weren't present. :h:
Reply 2
You could just do it? If you got an A* in maths, you can probably get a B without any revision. About 70% of the Stats syllabus is covered in GCSE maths anyway :smile:

There's just the annoying coursework to do.

But, like in your school, my school sat early and people have the option to do Stats (Which I have). People didn't have to though, and I'm sure if you get your parents to complain, they wont force you to do it.
Reply 3
OK thanks for the advice everybody
Reply 4
Get your parents to phone or arrange a meeting, in this situation I don't think you should have been forced into it at all.
It was 71/100 for an A* LAST YEAR, you needed like 30 for a C.

enuff said
Reply 6
I like Statistics :smile:
Reply 7
tell the headmaster
Reply 8
You dont have to take it if you dont want to! I did it and its not that bad but you should not be forced too.
Just do it? It is an extra qualification and it looks better in the long run. Trust me, you won't regret it.
Just go for it. You can't struggle that much if you got an A* when you put in effort.
Reply 11
Do it.
Reply 12
Original post by andrew:)
hiya,
ive got a small problem at school. we took our terminal maths paper in january and therefore completed the full maths gcse course in january (i think the school does this so that anyone who fails can re-sit in the summer).
anyway, i got an a* after literally locking myself in my room, every day, for about six weeks and constantly revising (i only got a b in the mocks so i was really pleased).
in september the head of maths told me that anyone who passes has the option of studying statistics following the maths results and getting a second maths gcse. i told him then that i would not do statistics and he was fine with it.
then i got the a* in march and he told me that i HAD to take statistics and i have no choice!? i know it sounds stupid but i really struggle with maths and to get an a* i had to work myself to death; it sounds like im lying but im not someone who just understands maths!
so i told him that i didnt want to do statistics, and told him how hard i had to work to get the a* but he just did not listen. "because i got an a* i must be a whizz at maths" but im really not. everybody else who took statistics had the choice but yet i didnt?
is he allowed to force me to do statistics? - especially after he told me that it was only optional?
any feedback would be appreciated, thank you

tell your parents to tell your headmaster to go **** himself.

but in a friendly manner.
You and me sir, you and me (except I got a B lol). I have mountains of coursework and I just cant complete them due to other school work. It's not fair, they pressure me so much!

The coursework is annoying, I have to collect 140 data about second hand cars which compliment my 3 hypothesis' and it's just exasperating! But on the bright side, the actual exam paper appears to be easier than GCSE Maths because it requires more common sense and written answers as opposed to more formulaic questions which is a good thing. For me anyway.
Reply 14
Original post by Comeheretellme
You and me sir, you and me (except I got a B lol). I have mountains of coursework and I just cant complete them due to other school work. It's not fair, they pressure me so much!

The coursework is annoying, I have to collect 140 data about second hand cars which compliment my 3 hypothesis' and it's just exasperating! But on the bright side, the actual exam paper appears to be easier than GCSE Maths because it requires more common sense and written answers as opposed to more formulaic questions which is a good thing. For me anyway.

I agree. The paper is fine, the coursework is stressful. Like you, I had to collect data of 100 new cars for my 3 hypotheses. I've sort of got it all sorted now, just need my teacher to supervise for a couple of hours while I type up the plan. Gotta be in by May though, and I havent even started! :tongue: How's yours going?
I would do the statistics GCSE tbh. You have this chance to get another GCSE and you just can't be bothered. Lmao.
Reply 16
They cant force you to do it, we had the same policy in our school that the top however many went on to do stats and you can chose not to do it if theres an issue with it compromising other subjects.
but to be honest it doesnt take a lot of extra work (if any) to get a decent grade out of it.
Original post by Ears
I agree. The paper is fine, the coursework is stressful. Like you, I had to collect data of 100 new cars for my 3 hypotheses. I've sort of got it all sorted now, just need my teacher to supervise for a couple of hours while I type up the plan. Gotta be in by May though, and I havent even started! :tongue: How's yours going?

Haha I meant 120 (I was a bit sleepy lol). You're lucky that you've at least started to sort yours out. I've tried and tried but I'm just not motivated. I've at least done the controlled assessment but I know for sure that it wasn't good enough because I literally made up the plan and hypothesis' on the spot lol and I don't think we're allowed to tweak it.

I've probably got my self in deep waters because the data and the evaluation was due on Friday, but I didn't go school and I have no clue what the consequences are, thank goodness that I have to do this project thing for the whole of tomorrow, so I'll I get to avoid the maths department.

Argh my Stats life is a mess and the only thing that can save me is the actual exam! I think I better start doing the data now. Which car company thing do you use to collect your data? :tongue:
Reply 18
Original post by Comeheretellme
Haha I meant 120 (I was a bit sleepy lol). You're lucky that you've at least started to sort yours out. I've tried and tried but I'm just not motivated. I've at least done the controlled assessment but I know for sure that it wasn't good enough because I literally made up the plan and hypothesis' on the spot lol and I don't think we're allowed to tweak it.

I've probably got my self in deep waters because the data and the evaluation was due on Friday, but I didn't go school and I have no clue what the consequences are, thank goodness that I have to do this project thing for the whole of tomorrow, so I'll I get to avoid the maths department.

Argh my Stats life is a mess and the only thing that can save me is the actual exam! I think I better start doing the data now. Which car company thing do you use to collect your data? :tongue:

I just used whatcar.com. It had a list of around 440 new cars and I took a systematic sample from these. (I had to cheat it a bit, kept getting data that wasn't fitting my criteria :tongue:)
It is so stressful though. If it wasn't a controlled assessment, I'd have loads done by now. What are your hypotheses about? Mine are all to do with CO2 emissions.

The test should be easier though :smile: I only took statistics in the hope it'd be an 'extra' A*. I can't let myself down now!
Original post by Ears
I just used whatcar.com. It had a list of around 440 new cars and I took a systematic sample from these. (I had to cheat it a bit, kept getting data that wasn't fitting my criteria :tongue:)
It is so stressful though. If it wasn't a controlled assessment, I'd have loads done by now. What are your hypotheses about? Mine are all to do with CO2 emissions.

The test should be easier though :smile: I only took statistics in the hope it'd be an 'extra' A*. I can't let myself down now!

Yeah I use that one too but my friend recommends Auto-Trader. I just hate controlled assessment and thank goodness I've already completed my English GCSEs other wise I would have had to do the same with my essays and I hate being forced to do coursework in a controlled manner!

My hypotheses are centred around mileage, age and price of second-hand cars. The boys are much more enthusiastic about this than the girls are lol.

You're lucky you've already got an A* and it's highly likely you'll get another. I think I'd be really luck to even get an A or B and it would be because I just scraped the grade by a few marks! :s

Quick Reply

Latest