The Student Room Group

Can you use a netbook as your only computer?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Fallen
For £500 (or less) you can easily get a notebook which suits realistically your computing needs, eliminates the need for a keyboard and DVD drive.

A entry-level 15" notebook (although you could go 13&quot:wink: will be thin and light enough for you to take with you in a backpack or messenger bag (etc.) comfortably.
I suppose are you willing to compromise on the screen? Would you be able to handle a 15" all the time without an external one?

Well I have a 15" now, and it's just too bulky to take to uni and carry around. If I wanted to replace my 15" with a 15", I'd have just bought another Dell Inspiron. I was asking about netbooks because the size and weight is a priority to me...
Reply 21
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Well I have a 15" now, and it's just too bulky to take to uni and carry around. If I wanted to replace my 15" with a 15", I'd have just bought another Dell Inspiron. I was asking about netbooks because the size and weight is a priority to me...

Ah I see.
Well I would strongly recommend maybe going to PCWorld or something just to look of and get the feel of, for instance, 13" laptops. (But please God don't buy one there, expensiiive).

I can only speak from my opinion, obviously, but a 13" notebook is negligibly more bulky than a netbook, but is not inherently crippled.
If you have experience with netbooks before then completely ignore me, but if you don't I really do recommend you look at them first.
Listening to music while having a few tabs open is hard work for an Intel Atom, plus I can't see a netbook driving a standard 17"-19" monitor with much ease.
Reply 22
Original post by Fallen
Ah I see.
Well I would strongly recommend maybe going to PCWorld or something just to look of and get the feel of, for instance, 13" laptops. (But please God don't buy one there, expensiiive).

I can only speak from my opinion, obviously, but a 13" notebook is negligibly more bulky than a netbook, but is not inherently crippled.
If you have experience with netbooks before then completely ignore me, but if you don't I really do recommend you look at them first.
Listening to music while having a few tabs open is hard work for an Intel Atom, plus I can't see a netbook driving a standard 17"-19" monitor with much ease.

Which is why I was planning on getting one of the newer netbooks with a dual core processor, and 2GB RAM...
Reply 23
Which is why I was planning on getting one of the newer netbooks with a dual core processor, and 2GB RAM...

My bad, didn't see the while duel-core business.
Regardless, my points remain (marginally less) valid. You should be able to make an informed decision.
Reply 24
Original post by Fallen
My bad, didn't see the while duel-core business.
Regardless, my points remain (marginally less) valid. You should be able to make an informed decision.

Fair enough. Thanks for your input, tis appreciated!
Original post by lukas1051

Original post by lukas1051
You have to bear in mind people buy netbooks because they're cheap and small, MacBooks are neither.

OP, I'd just go for a standard netbook and upgrade to 2GB of RAM, that will cover your basic needs. You should be able to browse the web, have office open, listen to music all simultaneously. Watching HD video should be OK provided you're not doing a multitude of other things at the same time. Just check to netbook is compatible with what you need to do with it, ie. installing more RAM, hooking up to a monitor etc.

....I know? That's why i stated that the netbook did everything that I said it could do as long as I wasn't doing HD video or any kind of editing.

I loved it for the portability and battery life, I never really took it to many places without the charger but the mall size was definitely a plus.
Reply 26
I used a netbook for coming on a year, an ASUS EeePC. It really, really hurt my eyes after about three months because I'm a bit of a computer addict and spent a really long time staring at the screen, upwards of four hours every day. If you were planning to get a netbook, I really recommend getting one that you can plug into a bigger screen for use when you're at home. It can get really wearing after a while and using the tiny keyboard hurt my (very small) hands after a while. I'd say go for a thin and light laptop or something at least 13" if you absolutely cannot get another 15" laptop - the screen of a 10" netbook is just too constricting, but that's just my opinion.
Reply 27
Anyone got any views on Packard Bell netbooks? I'm contemplating this as an alternative to the ASUS, given it's superior RAM, storage, and screen size... Never had a PB computer at all though, and unsure of quality.
Anyone got any views on Packard Bell netbooks? I'm contemplating this as an alternative to the ASUS, given it's superior RAM, storage, and screen size... Never had a PB computer at all though, and unsure of quality.

They are good.
Battery life is not as long as some other models.
Original post by Fallen

Original post by Fallen
Ah I see.

Mine had an easy time doing it and it only had a 1ghz processor and a gig of ram. Yes it is true that the computers aren't that great and I'm glad I don't have to use mine anymore, but adding a monitor didn't really tax the system any. I could have iTunes open listening to a podcast while watching a video and working on a document while surfing the web.

Obviously I couldn't do all of these things at the same time but you get the point. However while doing this the computer did slow down a tad so keep that in mind. <-- OP.
I'm currently using a Dell Inspiron 1525, which is rapidly dying. I'm looking to get a netbook to replace it (probably an ASUS, with a dual core processor), but suddenly wondered if it's as functionable as I want...

The plan was to hook it up to a decent sized monitor, external DVD drive, etc, so that at home it runs pretty much like a desktop, but then unplug it and take it to uni. Will it be able to run video (I watch tv on my laptop), multiple internet tabs, a few Office programs, etc without slowing down?

I do and I have no problems. I love not having a heavy laptop anymore!
Reply 31
After a month of using my eeePC 901 for assignments after my desktop broke I ended up as a squinting hunchback with a pounding headache.

Great as a secondary computer, but I wouldn't want to rely on it given that I spend about 10 hours a day in front of the damn things.

I'm currently using a Dell Inspiron 1525, which is rapidly dying. I'm looking to get a netbook to replace it (probably an ASUS, with a dual core processor), but suddenly wondered if it's as functionable as I want...

The plan was to hook it up to a decent sized monitor, external DVD drive, etc, so that at home it runs pretty much like a desktop, but then unplug it and take it to uni. Will it be able to run video (I watch tv on my laptop), multiple internet tabs, a few Office programs, etc without slowing down?

May sound like a bit of an odd thing to recommend a 3 year old laptop, but I got my Vaio TZ in January for about £325. Its got a better screen resolution than any netbook (1366x768) it has a real processor, an ultra low voltage core 2 duo one, and has a real dvd drive in it. And still has the compactness of the 11inch screen and lightness as its made partly from carbon fibre. You can also get ones with built in 3G too. And the battery is good too, about 4.5 hours. And I have had a netbook and while it did me, this is far far better. Oh and it cost about £2000 new so that sortof shows how good it was then.
Reply 33
For clarification - if the spec is listing a netbook as having 1GB RAM plus 1 SODIMM slot (max 1GB), does that mean it has a space for me to expand the total memory to 2GB? :colondollar:

For clarification - if the spec is listing a netbook as having 1GB RAM plus 1 SODIMM slot (max 1GB), does that mean it has a space for me to expand the total memory to 2GB? :colondollar:

Yes, any new netbook will support 2GB.
Reply 35
You're a star. I went in Curry's yesterday to look at netbooks (will buy online probably direct from manufacturer but wanted to get a feel of weight/build first) and went through 3 members of staff, a manager, and a tech support guy on the phone from PC World, and they still couldn't tell me if I could expand the memory of any of their netbooks :facepalm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending