The Student Room Group

Media: Representation of place?

I need a third case study for this one, so far I have representation of Beverly Hills in 90210, and Albert Square in EastEnders. I was thinking of doing CSI Miami or something like that, but I was wondering if anyone else had any other ideas? Thanks
Gavin and stacey, barry in wales.. ? :smile:
Reply 2
Ha I'm actually doing an essay that involves gavin and stacey and wales :wink:
There's so many directions you could go with this... i dont know how familiar/local you're looking.
How about neighbours in ramsay street, or home and away wherever that is set. sex and the city in new york.
Maybe you could do a Doctor Who episode?
Like the second episode with Martha Jones when they go to the globe theatre and compare how they've incorperated modern society as they do a little scene at the beginning talking about recyling, global warming etc. or focus on the Elizabethan theme :smile:
I don't know if I've been any help but just an idea XD
Reply 4
You could always talk about the coverage of the Royal Wedding.
The examiners are often looking for you to be aware of both regional identity (ie Eastenders as a rep of London) and national identity (ie 'Angela's Ashes' as a rep of Ireland). The Royal Wedding might be a good one as it was watched internationally by millions on Youtube alone and recieved a great deal of coverage on foreign TV networks. In general it was a very positive representation of Britain and showcased a national 'community' spirit with the coverage of street parties and demonstration of public support in London itself. It also highlighted British fashion (generally favourably) and seemed to highlight the young couple as more contemporary representatives of the Royal Family.
It might also be worthwhile to look at Channel 4's coverage of the event (or non-coverage) with shows such as 'My Big Fat Royal Gypsy Wedding'. It lends itself to discussion of audience too in particular preferred, negotiated or oppositional readings.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending