The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Yes biology is a science.
Google
The intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

From this definition biology is a science. It is the observation of the natural world. It also involves practical experiment.

Also, when I applied for a scholarship that was for sciences, technology and design I emailed to ask if Ecology was a science and I was told that it was. This is the observation of the relationship between plants and animals as well as some experimentation.

Ok so it might not be at the same level as physics and chemistry yet it is still a science. In some of the cases of courses I applied to some even classed geography as a science but thats a different thing and in the traditional sense maybe that isn't a science but biology definatly is.

At GCSE when you study science you study three:Biology, Chemistry and Physics. You are tested on all three. Why would you study biology in a science qualification if it wasn't a science?
Original post by JayTeeKay
Oh, well you must be right.

Like I'm going to listen to a psychologist :tongue:

Does the mere fact that he's a psychologist have any bearing on the truth of his claim?
Original post by Retrodiction
Does the mere fact that he's a psychologist have any bearing on the truth of his claim?

No. Hence the little smiley face. It was supposed to be tongue in cheek.
I have actually.
Who the **** cares what a psychologist has to say on the matter? At least biology tries to be a science. Psychology is a joke of a subject if I ever saw one. Maybe people would actually respect you if you had done a proper subject and not wasted your time on a silly little pseudo-science degree :wink:

Not that I think that. I just wanted to say that because you're being a ****

Grow up and have a proper discussion like an adult.

How can you accuse someone of not discussing the matter like an adult at the end of a lengthy post that is full of childish insults completely detached from the subject at hand?
Original post by Revd. Mike

Original post by Revd. Mike
Oh god, this is ridiculous. Science is a method. Ideas are tested by experiment and observations. Biology is most definitely a science. It may not seem like it due to the crappy standard of teaching at secondary level, but trust me.

As for there being no theory involved, you're either deluded or incredibly naïve :rofl:

Ohh you insulted him to the max like pepsi! :eek:
How can you accuse someone of not discussing the matter like an adult at the end of a lengthy post that is full of childish insults completely detached from the subject at hand?

Please read above. I'm not proud of myself. I'll admit I've been an arse. That was between me and GSG and since I've tried to move on because, as you say, it's detached from the subject at hand and it's childish.
Funny, how after doing your brilliant university degree, this is the pinnacle of your argument. You'd think you'd actually be able to muster up something rational, but rather than consider the points in a balanced and reasoned arguments, you make childish (and false) claims. Congratulations. I'm going to be the adult here and call an end to this. I'm above it, if you weren't so bitter then I'm sure you would be too.

You're actually yet to address the point he raised at all. Go on, try again. I'll give you another crack at it.
Go on, try again.

Oh god. Don't encourage it.
You're actually yet to address the point he raised at all. Go on, try again. I'll give you another crack at it.

If you would like to read back a few pages, you can see my argument. As I recall, this all started after I responded to the argument "biology is a science, end of". I'm not sure what exactly I'm supposed to address here, so I responded childishly.
My arguments on measurement and mathematical expression are laid out earlier in the thread.
What exactly are you hoping to achieve with this? Is this not detached from the subject at hand?
So, it seems like everyone has patently failed to define their concepts universally or accurately.

Welcome to the world of analytic philosophy.
If you would like to read back a few pages, you can see my argument. As I recall, this all started after I responded to the argument "biology is a science, end of". I'm not sure what exactly I'm supposed to address here, so I responded childishly.
My arguments on measurement and mathematical expression are laid out earlier in the thread.
What exactly are you hoping to achieve with this? Is this not detached from the subject at hand?

No.
No.

Cool.
Original post by hyn_shayan
Do you think Biology is a science? Doesn't it just used physical and chemical laws to observe and experiment. I mean there is very little theory involved in it. I'm not sure. Anyone want to inform me or give an opinion?

Everything in it is theory; it is a solid science.
I have a feeling there's not going to be much more constructive discussion on topic. Thread closed!

Latest

Trending

Trending