The Student Room Group

C1 May 2011 Edexcel - Tips, Model answers, Solutions in the FIRST POST

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lonely_cupid
can someone tell me if circle theorem is in C1 or not? I haven't really come across it in the past papers...

No that is in C2, which is'nt until the 26th May! :smile: I think you may be referring to the the normal and tangent which is in C1.
Original post by Expendable
So -1/X would be in the opposite quadrants? What about x/2 [or others

It is a diagonal line.
y= 1/2 x
Thread closed until after time limit has passed. Good luck guys.
Bump. Just letting you guy know the thread's open for discussion now :smile:
Original post by Loz17

Original post by Loz17
Bump. Just letting you guy know the thread's open for discussion now :smile:

1rd!!!!!!!!!!

How'd it go? I messed up the series one about k+2k+3k...100
Did anyone struggle with part c) of the b^2 -4ac question? Me and everyone I know who took it said they ended up square rooting -8, but that isn't possible right?
Reply 86
It went really well until the Arithmetic series bull ****...after that things just went down hill :l
Reply 87
Original post by Zakky
Did anyone struggle with part c) of the b^2 -4ac question? Me and everyone I know who took it said they ended up square rooting -8, but that isn't possible right?

i didnt think it made sense
1rd!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't do it, was just saying it's open :smile:
Was it ok for you apart from the series? I always remember series being difficult :erm:
1rd!!!!!!!!!!

That was pretty simple...
got first questionw rong already :frown: i only wrote +5 for square root of 25 instead of plus minus 5
Reply 91
model answers in first post, pretty easy paper; although the series one was unusual.
Original post by Zakky

Yeah, I wrote 'will not square root' as my final answer because it was pissing me off.
Original post by Zakky

This is the other one [only other hopefully] I couldn't do. I think I said x=1 or x=-1 from the completed square thing and subbed that into discriminant which was greater than 0 meaning that it had real values? I put lots of random working in the hope that I could secure 1 mark for something :P
1rd!!!!!!!!!!

omg same!! Also that question about the discriminant was very badly worded, well done Edexcel. :angry:
Original post by Zakky

Yeah i got square root of -8
and I tried doing it again and againt. Nothing.
Reply 96
can anyone remember what they got for the simultaneous equations?
Reply 97
Arsey what do you expect the UMS boundries to be? 75 for 100? You said i was an easy paper
Reply 98
I thought it was a relatively tricky paper, for C1. Reasonably sure I got a high mark, but I'm a little iffy on the one where you had to show that k could be any value, 'cause I used a weird method. Took the discriminant of the discriminant of f(x) and showed it had no real roots yada yada.
Reply 99
Yep, square root of -8 so surely no roots, although they said real roots? Also, what did you guys do for graph of f(x+p)? I drew the graph and gave x coords between a range of 3.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending