The Student Room Group

Is this a racist comment/ what does it mean?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by draikzer
How is queer a disgusting word to use?

Look it up in the dictionary.

Unless you're gay, you have no reason to be offended. And if you are gay, you're dumb for being offended.

'Look it up in the dictionary' - Ok!

–noun
Slang: Disparaging and Offensive . a homosexual, especially a male homosexual.

Yes I am gay and have had that word used venomously against me, but thanks for telling me whether I should or shouldn't be offended. I'm sure you'd have the kindness to tell a racial minority whether or not they should be offended by a racially charged word as well.

Original post by KrazyKro
Changed, happy? Didn't know it had any negative connotations with it, I was under the impression that it is synonymous with "homosexual"...

Meh if you didn't mean any offence by it then it's fine I guess. The word is synonymous with homosexuality but often in an offensive manner, the LGBT community has turned the word on itself and used it themselves (in the same way the black community use a certain 'N' word themselves), but generally it's not really polite to use the word queer instead of gay.

To me queer is a nice way of describing someone as homosexual.

Its not like fag, or w/e.

But even fag wouldn't offend me.

Queer is not a nice way of describing homosexual, it can be seen as highly offensive and has plenty of history. It is highly similar to 'fag' and is pretty much the British counterpart to 'fag' - seeing as it is an American word.
Reply 21
Original post by Pirzer
Have you never heard the Gay community using the chant "We're Here, We're Queer - Get used to it."
Not exactly disgusting

Yes I'm part of that gay community in fact and the word queer is used in a similar vain to the 'N' word in the black community in the sense that we take a word that has had a history of being used offensively against us and turn it on its head, using it ourselves as a way to erode away the harm caused by the word. Nice try but you really should educate yourself first.
Reply 22
Original post by Bellrosk
Yes I'm part of that gay community in fact and the word queer is used in a similar vain to the 'N' word in the black community in the sense that we take a word that has had a history of being used offensively against us and turn it on its head, using it ourselves as a way to erode away the harm caused by the word. Nice try but you really should educate yourself first.

I really don't think "educating" myself is the way to go about it.
Clearly you're attempts to neutralise it's harmful meaning have backfired and people no longer see it as offensive.

Bazinga.
Reply 23
Original post by SHABANA
It wouldn't make any sense because if he was racist and was referring to her being African and thus from a hot place, surely she would be more hydrated over here? Unless he is an idiot and did mean she is dehydrated because she's African.

This is what I am worried about. It was just the way it was said. He could of meant she was being lazy and just going to get a drink to waste time. Pretty sure he wasn't referring to a hangover as it was late in the afternoon.

The guy who said it is a lot older than I am (hes about 55) and you know how a lot of older white men think it is ok to say things which most young people would find racist? Hes kind of like that in a way.

But I guess I will just leave it.
Reply 24

Urgh. Gays who take themselves so seriously annoy the hell outta me.

The only way you should be offended at a word, is if the word IS used offensively toward yourself. Not everytime anyone mentions the bloody word.
Reply 25
Original post by Pirzer
I really don't think "educating" myself is the way to go about it.
Clearly you're attempts to neutralise it's harmful meaning have backfired and people no longer see it as offensive.

Bazinga.

But people do still find it offensive. I don't really see why you, a straight male should be able to speak for the gay community? It's nice that you don't find it offensive but people do, end of.
Reply 26
He's a white man making a comment about a non-white person, of course it was racist! Duh.
Reply 27
Urgh. Gays who take themselves so seriously annoy the hell outta me.

The only way you should be offended at a word, is if the word IS used offensively toward yourself. Not everytime anyone mentions the bloody word.

So let's use a different scenario, what if the guy had used the 'N' word? Would it be just a black person ~taking themselves so seriously if they didn't like the word? Would that annoy the hell out of you then?
Reply 28
ITT: Queers get mad
He's saying that because she is always nagging at him, she's going to get a drink, as the nagging will have made her dehydrated.

Basically he's calling her a nagger:wink:
Reply 30

Meh if you didn't mean any offence by it then it's fine I guess. The word is synonymous with homosexuality but often in an offensive manner, the LGBT community has turned the word on itself and used it themselves (in the same way the black community use a certain 'N' word themselves), but generally it's not really polite to use the word queer instead of gay.

Queer is not a nice way of describing homosexual, it can be seen as highly offensive and has plenty of history. It is highly similar to 'fag' and is pretty much the British counterpart to 'fag' - seeing as it is an American word.

It is not the counterpart,to say fag and queer mean the same is wrong. The meaning of queer has changed multiple times in history and it is simply not true that nowadays it mostly means something offensive/negative. There are things like queer theory/queer studies. Please dont attempt to speak for all gay people. I know many who have no issues at all with this word and plenty even use it to describe themselves.

Only bc you got insulted by this word in recent times doesnt mean others are not allowed to use this word. The term "gay" is used nowadays often as a synonym for rubbish and used as an insult. Dont you think people get bullied on a daily basis by being called gay? Should no one use that word gay anymore?
Reply 31
So let's use a different scenario, what if the guy had used the 'N' word? Would it be just a black person ~taking themselves so seriously if they didn't like the word? Would that annoy the hell out of you then?

I feel the same way about that word. A word is a word, no matter what you try and attach to it.

If the word has malice behind it i.e it is being used offensively - fair enough you can be offended.

If the word is being used in jest, or whatever. The person has no right to be offended, as long as the way it is used is not in relation to anyone or not meant at all hurtfully.

Queer is not the same as the nword. The nword has way more (stupid) stigma. So your comparison doesn't have a great deal of standing.

A more solid comparison (to yours) would be someone who has been called stupid all their life, freaking out whenever the word stupid is used in any context. As much as you may have been called queer hurtfully - the poster who used that word did not mean it in any derogatory way, the way they used it was to be synonymous with homosexual.

People who get all uppity about stupid things like that are just... well, stupid.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by Leonie01
It is not the counterpart,to say fag and queer mean the same is wrong. The meaning of queer has changed multiple times in history and it is simply not true that nowadays it mostly means something offensive/negative. There are things like queer theory/queer studies. Please dont attempt to speak for all gay people. I know many who have no issues at all with this word and plenty even use it to describe themselves.

Only bc you got insulted by this word in recent times doesnt mean others are not allowed to use this word. The term "gay" is used nowadays often as a synonym for rubbish and used as an insult. Dont you think people get bullied on a daily basis by being called gay? Should no one use that word gay anymore?

I'm not trying to speak for all people, but there is a difference between the gay community reclaiming a word and using it in, for example 'queer theory' and a straight guy using it to suggest another guy is gay. What is wrong with just using the word gay then? When queer has such a history of causing offence?

No I think the word gay should be used to describe homosexual people, I strongly oppose the use of gay as a synonym for 'bad' - for obvious reasons.
Original post by im so academic.
He's saying that because she is always nagging at him, she's going to get a drink, as the nagging will have made her dehydrated.

Basically he's calling her a nagger:wink:

Reply 34
Original post by Profesh
If you're anything like as obtuse as this thread suggests then I imagine he was simply enquiring as to whether or not you knew what the word 'dehydrated' meant.

I think it was just this.
Reply 35
God hates fags.
Reply 36
Um, gay doesn't=bad. Connecting gay with negativity is homophobic in nature.
Reply 37
Original post by coffeym
God hates fags.

Maybe. Cigarettes are bad for you.
Reply 38
Original post by 101flyboy
Um, gay doesn't=bad. Connecting gay with negativity is homophobic in nature.

What? This makes no sense.

So when I say my computer is gay, I mean I have a fear of homosexuals?

Well played...
Reply 39
I feel the same way about that word. A word is a word, no matter what you try and attach to it.

If the word has malice behind it i.e it is being used offensively - fair enough you can be offended.

If the word is being used in jest, or whatever. The person has no right to be offended, as long as the way it is used is not in relation to anyone or not meant at all hurtfully.

Queer is not the same as the nword. The nword has way more (stupid) stigma. So your comparison doesn't have a great deal of standing.

A more solid comparison (to yours) would be someone who has been called stupid all their life, freaking out whenever the word stupid is used in any context. As much as you may have been called queer hurtfully - the poster who used that word did not mean it in any derogatory way, the way they used it was to be synonymous with homosexual.

People who get all uppity about stupid things like that are just... well, stupid.

It's more complex than simply 'words' though, that's what you fail to understand. It is language and in language words have connotations and history, people pick up on words used by other people and it's spread. I understand that the guy didn't mean offence by it and I commend the fact that he changed the word, but the fact remains that the word queer has a bit too much negative history to be used so loosely by a straight male. In modern, mainstream (straight) society the word queer is on the whole not a common synonym for homosexuality, 'gay' is used far more and thus I saw an issue with an odd word choice.

And no, stupid is not a more solid comparison, the N word is to the black community what 'Queer' and 'Fag is to the gay community, they are words that were used specifically used against a specific community to cause offence. Stupid is a rather general term that can be used in a variety of situations and is not remotely close to being as offensive as the Q and F words.

But I don't feel like getting into a twenty page discussion with people about this, seeing as we're crazy OT as it it. You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine, but I would warn against using words like Fag, Queer and the N word in public because you may cause offence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending