The Student Room Group

My sister's spread rumours about me at work

Hi all, I currently work at a cafe and was doing great at it, however recently I've been told by some of my coworkers that the manager is a unfair as in she puts all the asians in potwash/food runs and doesn't let them go on the till. I told my sister this and thought she'd keep it a secret as my coworkers told me not to bring this up otherwise I'll get on my manager's bad side and she'll make my life harder. Anyways the next day my sister goes and tells her coworkers (who works on a different floor) that I called my manager racist and that she makes white people the face of {business} and shoves all the asians at the back to do all the cleaning blah blah blah , and when I asked her what else she said she goes she 'expanded' and starts laughing. What's really irritating is that she doesn't seem apologetic at all and says that I'm gonna quit anyways (when I'm not my contract is just finishing). I didn't say any of that yet she's going around saying all sorts of things abt the manager and is saying I said it all, now when I started getting upset she starts making me feel bad and starts yelling at me as if it wasn't her who spread it. Idk how I'm going to go back to work, especially since this manager said she really wants me to stay in the cafe and extend my contract. My sister claims she only told one person and that person works on a totally different department. Do you think the manager won't find out about this? Idek what to do, this is the only job I've been able to get (given I'm 16 no experience) and I've worked so hard to get an extended contract only for her to go around saying this at the very end. My family is telling me to stop getting upset over nothing and to pretend it wasn't me, do you think I'll be in trouble. Also if they find out about this the coworkers who told me this will also likely get in trouble. I've got 3 weeks of my contract left and they're all holidays, I was going to extend my contract but now I don't think I should after this, this manager was going to teach me how to be a barista, cook etc but now I can't get all these skills bcs I'm afraid what my sister said will circulate.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all, I currently work at a cafe and was doing great at it, however recently I've been told by some of my coworkers that the manager is a unfair as in she puts all the asians in potwash/food runs and doesn't let them go on the till. I told my sister this and thought she'd keep it a secret as my coworkers told me not to bring this up otherwise I'll get on my manager's bad side and she'll make my life harder. Anyways the next day my sister goes and tells her coworkers (who works on a different floor) that I called my manager racist and that she makes white people the face of {business} and shoves all the asians at the back to do all the cleaning blah blah blah , and when I asked her what else she said she goes she 'expanded' and starts laughing. What's really irritating is that she doesn't seem apologetic at all and says that I'm gonna quit anyways (when I'm not my contract is just finishing). I didn't say any of that yet she's going around saying all sorts of things abt the manager and is saying I said it all, now when I started getting upset she starts making me feel bad and starts yelling at me as if it wasn't her who spread it. Idk how I'm going to go back to work, especially since this manager said she really wants me to stay in the cafe and extend my contract. My sister claims she only told one person and that person works on a totally different department. Do you think the manager won't find out about this? Idek what to do, this is the only job I've been able to get (given I'm 16 no experience) and I've worked so hard to get an extended contract only for her to go around saying this at the very end. My family is telling me to stop getting upset over nothing and to pretend it wasn't me, do you think I'll be in trouble. Also if they find out about this the coworkers who told me this will also likely get in trouble. I've got 3 weeks of my contract left and they're all holidays, I was going to extend my contract but now I don't think I should after this, this manager was going to teach me how to be a barista, cook etc but now I can't get all these skills bcs I'm afraid what my sister said will circulate.

You need to set boundaries with her. Always keep family and work/business separated unless your the Kardashian’s. Honestly I don’t think your manager will find out. if he/she does just play dumb. At least this time you know not to trust people, also dont talk bad behind peoples backs, keep your opinions to yourself. I also learned the hard way anywyas good luck it’s only 3 weeks you’ll survive unless you want to extend your contract. Is your sister older and how long will she be working there. :/ :smile:
Hi Girly!

For starters, your sister was out of order for that.

Although I have to play devils advocate here... although your family believe you may be overthinking it. I would have to agree to some extent that in your mind you've amplifying this situation to a point where its gotten you this high-strung and feeling anxious in your place of work.

However, in your defence, I completely understand how much this job means to you! Well done for getting one and being able to keep it with the possibility of getting your contract extended.

My advice would be to just continue as if nothing happened because really and truly people spread rumours in the workplace all the time. Or they say things that are out of pocket or unnecessary either in the heat of the moment or just... as a passing comment.

No one has fired you. You have not done anything wrong.

It seems like she broke your trust a bit.

Give it a bit of time between you both.

Its completely up to you, what you choose to do going forward.

Make your money. That's what you are there to do. You are not there to please anyone but your purse :smile:

Keep your head up!

You'll be just fine,

Much Love!

unfortunately, gossip spreads. The best way is to confront this. Can you contact your boss to address these rumours and apologise. It will be best to be honest, and not lie like your family said. It’s hardest to be honest, but becomes easier. This is a common thing, where you tell someone something, they tell. I’ve done it, I’ve known friends who have done it. Like the user above said, you learn to be careful of what you say. Heck, I’m still learning.
Reply 4
You need to set boundaries with her. Always keep family and work/business separated unless your the Kardashian’s. Honestly I don’t think your manager will find out. if he/she does just play dumb. At least this time you know not to trust people, also dont talk bad behind peoples backs, keep your opinions to yourself. I also learned the hard way anywyas good luck it’s only 3 weeks you’ll survive unless you want to extend your contract. Is your sister older and how long will she be working there. :/ :smile:

Yh my sister's 5 years older than me, luckily her contract ends next week so I won't have to work with her anymore.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending