The Student Room Group

In Need Of Companys Who Employ Under 16's

Hey! Im pretty new to The Student Room.. :rolleyes:
Anyway.. Ive been looking for a job for about a week.. now and i know all about paper rounds etc Im just wondering if anyone knows any Companys that would actually employ me.. Im 14.. And im up for pretty much anything.
Reply 1
I had a paper round at 14. How about a paper round? Really though... No better jobs for Unders 16s unless you're really really lucky.
^^
its true.

i spent aaages calling people when i was 14 - nobody wants to know :frown:
Reply 3
Many companies won't take on under 16's due to there insurance not covering them. I had this problem when simply trying to arrange my own work experience.

Also the restrictions placed on the hours you can work isn't really worth it for them.

Paper round is the best way to go if your under 16.
Plus they need your National Insurance number to sort you out with pay. And you don't get that til you're a couple months shy of sixteen. Hell, it's hard finding a job AT sixteen. Where I work, they won't employ under-eighteens. I'm the baby. :rolleyes:
you could try a local cafe or something alike. my friend got a job when she was just turned 15 and is still there now
Reply 6
There's always the hairdresser route! Shampooing filthy old ladies hair, making coffee/tea, fetching and mixing colourings, and sweep up. its a fun job *cough*.
How about you deliver Yellow Pages etc and do them in your parents name?
Reply 8
It's supposed to be illegal - but out of my close friends (6 of us), 5 of us were employed by 15, albeit illegally (you were meant to have a work permit but we didn't). Try restaurants that will let you wash up, or smaller shops that are able to get away with not following all the rules that big chain-stores have to.
u r an an idiot. get on with school and get decent gradesand get an education not some tinpot job.

--------------

Angel_Cake
It's supposed to be illegal - but out of my close friends (6 of us), 5 of us were employed by 15, albeit illegally (you were meant to have a work permit but we didn't). Try restaurants that will let you wash up, or smaller shops that are able to get away with not following all the rules that big chain-stores have to.

y wld u wrk 4 these ppl - if they r breaking rules on child labour then they will b breaking health and safety as well. stay clear.
It's illegal for a reason. If you are an underage worker then you have no rights. You don't have a basic minimum wage and can be paid bugger all for doing the same job as an adult. The place you are working will not be obliged to provide safe working conditions, training or protective equipment. If you got injured on the job then they aren't obliged to give you compensation. You won't be covered by their insurance and you're asking for a whole heap of trouble. If you got into difficulties then they could just deny that you had ever worked there as you're not going to be on payroll.

At the end of the day you won't be able to put it onto your CV anyway..is it really worth all the potential hazards to earn a measly £2.50 an hour?

The sort of places that will employ under 16s do so because they are DODGY. If a place cannot legally find workers to work there then there is going to be a reason. Please be safe and careful and don't work until you can legally do so.
rosetinted

At the end of the day you won't be able to put it onto your CV anyway..is it really worth all the potential hazards to earn a measly £2.50 an hour?

I would of loved £2.50 an hour when I was 15/16, I got a job at a well known shoe shop when I was that age and got paid £2.00 an hour!! though that was 6 years ago now! :biggrin:
there's a girl where i work that is 15 and she can only work about 4 hours i think..
there's a lot of restrictions on how many hours and such you can work so most companies will only employ at 16.. however corner shops and fish & chip shops may hire under 16's
Reply 13
I worked at local newsagents and a shoe shop (Barratts) when I was 14 which was all above board, there were limits on the number of hours I could work but for a Saturday job the pay was pretty good, I also got a job when i was 15 at a bakery but kinda got sacked after a couple of days... yeh i leave that one off my cv :biggrin:
Pizza hut
Reply 15
pick ball in a match pitch
Hey Im new to the student room as well...Im trying to find a job and there's this site called indeed .co.uk if you type in part time student and your location they give you jobs that are near you for your convenience its amazing there's never ending pages of job options, also companies that hire under 16s are companies such as:>Burger King>Publix>YMCA
Original post by Alisha Awan
Hey Im new to the student room as well...Im trying to find a job and there's this site called indeed .co.uk if you type in part time student and your location they give you jobs that are near you for your convenience its amazing there's never ending pages of job options, also companies that hire under 16s are companies such as:>Burger King>Publix>YMCA

You do realise that this thread is originally from 2005.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending