The Student Room Group

Reference (Big name or regular name who says you are the best?)

Hello,

Although my title may sound confusing, I will try to explain a little bit further here:

I would like to apply for some MSc and PhD positions (in Biology/Biomedical sciences) in the UK and rest of Europe and, as you know, they always ask for references (Either from University, from Research directors you´ve had, etc).

I would like to know your opinion about something that has me a bit concerned about the person to choose as a reference for my applications.

Do you think that very prestigious people who may speak favourably of you (but not greatly) would be preferable to less prestigious people who say you are the best student in the whole University (exaggerating of course, but just to make my idea clear). Who would you choose If you have to provide references to Unis at postgraduate level?

Hope you can help me and share your opinions with me.

Cheers
Reply 1
Why not both? Most universities will ask you for at least two references, so you can have the big name and the super-glowing reference.

If I could only choose one, personally, I'd go with the lesser known person who can directly comment on your work and things you have done in a positive fashion. Unless the big name knows your work personally there is only so much that they are really going to be able to say.

But, then again - I'm in the humanities... so might be percieved a bit differently.
Reply 2
It's a toughie. Big names saying good things count for a lot, it's true; but these people often write a huge number of references, and it's easy to tell whether they are being genuinely effusive or just vaguely approving. If it's the latter, it's not going to do all that much for you - whoever reads it will get the sense that it's just a standard reference and doesn't mean much. I even know somebody who used references from a famous Professor even though she told him the reference would not be all that good. Needless to say, he didn't get any jobs. As Ellim says, its always good to have someone who knows you and your work and can comment in detail. I'd take her advice and go for one of each, really.
Reply 3
First rule of postgrad admissions is to determine if a student has the potential to complete the course of study they have applied for so you need to pick referees who are able to comment specifically on this. A good reference doesn't have to make you out to be the best thing since sliced bread but what it should say is things like "I would take this student on myself" or "I believe the student can complete the course of study being applied for". It is not so much about prestige but whether the referee has recognised experience of the level and quality of student that the target institution likes to take on.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
If you have the big great professors saying "They've had this and that course with you and you did well and you were among the top student and stuff" doesn't do you any good, these stuff are already in your transcript. If you have someone who knows you well and can write a one/two page reference describing you very well it's much much better.

There's no harm in doing both, but a well written reference by someone who knows you best is better than an average reference from a great professor who doesn't know you at all.
Reply 5
Things are clearer now. It is interesting to see how other people think about this issue.

Thank you very much TSR´s!!
Reply 6
It should be the most up to date referees you have worked closely with e.g. those directing the undergrad or masters project.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending