The Student Room Group

A level Maths - Edexcel percentage of each module

In A level maths, I am doing C1, C2, M1, C3, C4 and M2. What does each module count as a percentage towards my overall A level grade? Thanks :-)
(Also, does anyone know this for further maths also)

Scroll to see replies

all weighted equally. They are all scaled to 100 UMS which is 1/6 of a full a level.
Reply 2
cool... it means that you need 90/100 in every single one to get an A*
Reply 3
Original post by geditor

No, that's not right. To get an A*, you have to average at least 80% across all 6 modules and you have to average at least 90% between C3 and C4.
no for an A* in maths it is slightly odd. You need an average of 80% across all your modules then you need 90% average in C3 and C4.

For example this would get you an A*:
C1- 80
C2- 80
M1 - 70
C3 - 100
C4 - 80
M2 - 70

But this wouldn't:

C1 - 100
C2 - 100
M1 - 100
C3 - 89
C4 - 89
M2 - 100
Reply 5
really... it doesn't really make sense since the second (non A* one) has a lower score... well thats edexcel for you
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by geditor
really... it doesn't really make sense since the second (non A* one) has a lower score... well thats edexcel for you

Nothing to do with Edexcel it's the same for all of the examiners.
Reply 7
Original post by gdunne42
Nothing to do with Edexcel it's the same for all of the examiners.

Is this just for maths where you need to get A* in the A level modules to get an A* or in other subjects, do you need to get 90 or above in all the exams across the 2 years to get an A*?
Original post by Cleoleo
Is this just for maths where you need to get A* in the A level modules to get an A* or in other subjects, do you need to get 90 or above in all the exams across the 2 years to get an A*?

In other subjects you need a 90% average across your A2 modules and 80% average across all modules.
Reply 9
For anybody who cares, an A* in further maths is an A overall with 90% in three A2 units (Like M2, D2, S2, FP2, FP3 etc.).
Reply 10
If I get 89 in C1, 90 in C2, 90 in C3, 90 in C4, what would I need in M1 and M2 (the application units) - Do they have to be 80% or 90%?
Reply 11
Original post by geditor
If I get 89 in C1, 90 in C2, 90 in C3, 90 in C4, what would I need in M1 and M2 (the application units) - Do they have to be 80% or 90%?

Your current total is 359 and you need to get 480 to get the A*, since the 90% average in C3/4 condition is met, so you need to get a total of 121 in M1/2 to scrape the A*.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
what do you need to get a c i just wanna pass this damn thing
Reply 13
Original post by enrique24
what do you need to get a c i just wanna pass this damn thing

A combined total from the 6 units of 360 UMS

To "pass this damn thing" you need an E which is 240 UMS
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Gemini92

Original post by Gemini92
No, that's not right. To get an A*, you have to average at least 80% across all 6 modules and you have to average at least 90% between C3 and C4.

Couldn't have put it better myself :smile:

The guy who gets 479 total in all his modules and 95 and 95 in C3 and C4 would get a B. One extra UMS mark would let him jump up two grades. Frustrating :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by geditor

As already discussed, this is not the case. You also asked about Further Maths,. which is also a slightly different system. Each module accounts for a sixth of the A level, but for an A* you need to get an average of 90% over all three modules taken at A2 (Fp2, Fp3 and S2 for me). That's how I think it works anyway, the current marking system is more confusing than 'further co-ordinate geometry.'
Reply 16
Original post by tory88
As already discussed, this is not the case. You also asked about Further Maths,. which is also a slightly different system. Each module accounts for a sixth of the A level, but for an A* you need to get an average of 90% over all three modules taken at A2 (Fp2, Fp3 and S2 for me). That's how I think it works anyway, the current marking system is more confusing than 'further co-ordinate geometry.'

Not necessarily it's 90% over your best 3 A2 unit results that are used in FM
A2 units for Edexcel FM being anthing except C1-4, FP1, D1, M1, or S1
So could be your Fp2, Fp3 and S2, or some other combination depending on your AS options
Reply 17
Original post by gdunne42
Not necessarily it's 90% over your best 3 A2 unit results that are used in FM
A2 units for Edexcel FM being anthing except C1-4, FP1, D1, M1, or S1
So could be your Fp2, Fp3 and S2, or some other combination depending on your AS options

Was going to say even better until I realised I ****ed up M2 at AS and all the others, and my A2 normal maths, are excluded. Damn.
Reply 18
OK, cheers... I think I can get 121 out of 200 in M1 and M2. I sort of get it and why they've done it... but its really ridiculous. You could get full marks on everything, but get 1 mark off 90 in C4 and C3 and get a A, not A*.
Reply 19
Original post by tory88

So in Further Maths you have to average 90 in all modules at A2, and in Maths you just have to average 90 on C3 and C4 (not M2 or which application unit you're doing). Is that right?

Quick Reply

Latest