The Student Room Group

MSc Engineering with Finance Advice?

Hi,

I am interested in studying Financial Engineering at the University of Kent, just wanted to know what people thought of the course? I would like to pursue a career in Investment Banking, more in particular, trading, quantitative finance or structuring.

The course used to be part of Kings College but the moved it to Kent.

http://www.findamasters.com/search/CourseDetails.aspx?CID=21131

I also looked at LSE but I wont be able to get in plus the fees are way too much (around £26,000)

Looking at mainly Uni's around london, southeast and southwest.

Thanks.:smile:

Scroll to see replies

financial systems engineering is more Computer science type?

Kingston for investment banking front office positions might be difficult.

The first thing that comes to mind that is quantitative is Imperial Financial engineering and Risk MAnagement course. Though the fees are extortionate and the entry level will just be as difficult.
but LBS requires experience and is 6000 more.

UCL is still respected. CS degrees are also quantitative

If you have convinced yourself kingston will be fine for IB, then you are a bit hypocritical for telling someone to rethink their aspirations for IB fron University of Kent....
(edited 12 years ago)
.... Masters in Finance at LBS STILL requires experience minumum 2 years with an average of 6-7. MIF at LBS is held in such esteem by employers. 33k is 5500 more then 27500 if you are really nitpicking over the 500 pounds.

I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything but please do not tell me to learn to read when you have not done your research.

Computer science degrees will teach you algorithms as far as i am aware and computational finance does seem like a good way to break into S&T. As long as the degree is quantitative it won't hold you back.

Kent is probably better then Kingston. Kingston is one of the lowest ranked universities? I am not sure about this point but regardless neither are semi target unviersities.

I do actually understand chinese as well as a few other languages....

CFA for trading? For investment banking or structuring. Are you mad? If you are going to enrole for qualifications you do not understand atleast hold back from advising others from doing the same.

The route that i am taking is:

First class degree
Good Extra curricular activites related to finance
1 year work experience post-graduation
2-3 internships

I am doing masters for knowledge and i believe in the long run it is vital to have one assuming you have work experience already.

Now Kingkhan go edit your post or somethign so no one sees you posted something completely idiotic.
Lol@King khan. You should look at your ****ty pakistani english first before calling others an idiot.
Original post by kingkhan
Are you nuts or what? Find a single post of mine in which I said that Kingston is a route to IB, no matter what route you gonna take to IB, I am sure you never gonna reach there because you can't read actually.
In my posts I just tried to compare to lower ranked Universities and then briefly explained if two graduates of same caliber from these two want to be IBs then in Kingstons grad. will be lil' ahead.
what the CFA is not good for IB?, I can't comment on your ignorance, according to your poor research on CFA it's just a ticket to KPMG.

I guess my route is far better than yours:

* BSc Mathematics major in applied engineering mathematics from UCL with 90% score. Funded by British Chevening.
*Successfully passed CFA level 1 (with an intention to gain some knowledge of finance & economics)
*GMAT: 740
*2 internships, each one at Nomura, and Citi
*2' years of work experience as financial web engineer at a respectable financial firm in London, acquired adequate knowledge of financial engineering.
1 year of work experience as a self-employed Stock market day trader. Have strong knowledge in Day-trading, Jobbing, Swing Trading, Options Arbitrage, Delta Hedging etc

*And finally going to study MSc fin. maths this year at LSE.

*Though I hold MSc Computer Systems & Software Engineering from University of Edinburgh with 87% score. (Funded by the School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh.) but that I did just because of my passion in CS and it has not so much to do with my IB route.

Now as you are so much scared of me & already peed in your pants, so before you go to wash yourself, I will strongly encourage you to delete your stupid nonsense so that you can avoid any further embarrassment. :biggrin:

What kind of tribal English is this mate?
.... Kingkhan i am probably passing CFA level 2 this coming July 26th, not sure yet. I have 2 internships as well but not both in IBD, but i have half a year experience in corporate finance and half a year expeirence in capital markets. So it isn't in ignorance that i am telling you that you are $%"£$%ing crazy for doing the CFA for trading. Why commit like 1000+ hours of study for a useless qualification.

I also rejected LSE A+F, so don't try to lord it over people on the internet just because you are going LSE.

You have a good profile, but it is stupidity to complete a SECOND masters, are you rich? Why are you not going for LBS MIF if you are rich? As i said the program DOES require experience, with 2 years experience and enough money with GMAT 740 you have a chance. Unless you are lying.....

Point is your profile is alot more impressive then what your ignorance by previous posts shows. I would suggest you seriously look into LBS MIF course rather then the LSE course. Apart from that i wish you luck with your endeavours.
(edited 12 years ago)
"Kingston is far better than Kent, I have met bunch of its graduates working in KPMG & doing really well & I never saw a graduate from Kent working in Nomura or Goldman Sachs. Going in IB via Kingstons route is comparatively easily than route via Kent.

And who the heck you are calling me a hypocrite, your sort of fools always say NO to both head & tail. I never said that Kingstons degree works as a green card for IB, I said, what I said meant was: I found the course content interesting on Kingstons website, and as compare to Kent the probability of Kingston is lil' high but not as high as of LBS or LSE."

So misleading.... I reread it and the ambiguous statements make me think you work for Kingston marketing services. Do you get commision?

Or maybe you go to kingston..... Why would you even look at their course structure otherwise? Seriously for masters it is just Oxford, Camrbidge, LSE, Imperial and warwick. Maybe CAss, durham, bristol, manchester and nottingham as insurance. NOBODY would go to kingston with a 90% degree from UCL in mathematics.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by prospectivEEconomist

As long he has a strong profile, I don't think such stupid comments count.
It is just stupid to even hint that Kingston is good for IB. Or make claims that LBS does not require work experience, it seems that you are very uninformed.

Picking LSE over LBS because of a matter of 30-50% fees is something most people will think you are stupid for. I am not trying to flame or argue with you, just suggesting you reasearch the course more.
21000 ->33000

including living and spending costs you are looking at:

35000 -> 47000. roughly 35% increase for a much better degree.

Mate, do you know that you are a prospective gay :bl:
Reply 12

:smile: tell me one thing, why are you following me everywhere @ TSR, like a pet dog? :dogt:
Reply 13

Duffer
Original post by cateyes1234
As long he has a strong profile, I don't think such stupid comments count.

...and everyone on the internet is honest?...
I know number of ppl who studied at Kingston (just know them through parties):

P.D. Bhaskar working as VP at JP Morgan
Ravi Shankar working as GTS at Citi
James working as VP at Nomura

You are such an idiot who can't count the probability of chances available to a lower ranked uni student.

Picking LSE over LBS because of a matter of more than 3-times more fee is something most people will do, @ LSE I am paying £10K.

You are such a dumb ass, a one ****in' annoying bastard, who likes to suck my cock. lol. Seriously get blocked.

Kingston is an ex-poly. Kent isn't. Argument over. Go back to praying.
Reply 16
Original post by Ineedaplace

Interesting conversation between u & kingkhan, I think u both r right but iz there any point of this endless debate?
...and everyone on the internet is honest?...

at least not you
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Pray of the day: Ohhhh God ! Please remove prospectivEEconomists two down ribs so that he may suck his own cock.................

:biggrin:
it doesn't make any difference.

Pray of the day: Ohhhh God ! Please remove prospectivEEconomists two down ribs so that he may suck his own cock.................

hahahahahhaha:tongue:

ROFL

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending