The Student Room Group

Lost in Translation? We are here to help...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by princess.leia
Hey, 'antigua' is part of a list of adjectives which have different meanings when put in front or after a noun. So before the noun it means 'former', and after it means 'old/ancient'. Hope that helps!

Oh! That makes so much more sense. It does help, thank you :smile:

P.S. do nuevo/nueva also mean different things according to where they are placed?
Original post by liviluck
That's interesting, thank you :smile:. The original sentence came from a grammar worksheet about using the subjunctive after certain expressions (such as 'cuando'), so do you think I should put estar into the subjunctive?

Well 'estar desarrollado' is used when something has finished being developed whereas ser implies it's still being developed. It's a bit difficult to say as it depends on context!
It's just 'cuando' implies an action that has been done - when that happens, as opposed to when that is happening. You know what I mean?
Therefore I think it's more likely the sentence is trying to say 'When the project is developed, air traffic will be denser' as in, as a result of the development of the project, air traffic will be denser - implying it's finished being developed.

I hope that makes sense!

Do you know if you could access the answers for this worksheet? In any case, don't worry. You obviously know how to use the subjunctive and with context you'd know exactly what form to use! :P
Original post by alexsasg
Oh! That makes so much more sense. It does help, thank you :smile:

P.S. do nuevo/nueva also mean different things according to where they are placed?

Yes yes nuevo does too, although it's quite a small difference! Nuevo in front of the adjective would mean something that you just acquired - for example, mi nuevo coche = my car I just bought.
After the adjective - say, 'el coche nuevo de la empresa Nissan' - it would mean Nissan's newly made/brand new car.
It's such a subtle difference!

I also found this online
una moto nueva (brand-new)
una nueva moto (a replacement)

If we think back to 'mi nuevo coche' - my car I just bought (to replace my old one maybe)
Yes yes nuevo does too, although it's quite a small difference! Nuevo in front of the adjective would mean something that you just acquired - for example, mi nuevo coche = my car I just bought.
After the adjective - say, 'el coche nuevo de la empresa Nissan' - it would mean Nissan's newly made/brand new car.
It's such a subtle difference!

I also found this online
una moto nueva (brand-new)
una nueva moto (a replacement)

If we think back to 'mi nuevo coche' - my car I just bought (to replace my old one maybe)

Ah, I see. Thank you! :smile:
Reply 8204
Hi, I could help too, I'm Luxembourgish => Speaking French, German, Luxembourgish(this language exists) :wink:
Reply 8205
Well 'estar desarrollado' is used when something has finished being developed whereas ser implies it's still being developed. It's a bit difficult to say as it depends on context!
It's just 'cuando' implies an action that has been done - when that happens, as opposed to when that is happening. You know what I mean?
Therefore I think it's more likely the sentence is trying to say 'When the project is developed, air traffic will be denser' as in, as a result of the development of the project, air traffic will be denser - implying it's finished being developed.

I hope that makes sense!

Do you know if you could access the answers for this worksheet? In any case, don't worry. You obviously know how to use the subjunctive and with context you'd know exactly what form to use! :P

That's really helpful, thank you! I didn't know that :smile:.
If anyone needs help with Spanish, I'm fluent.
I can also help with German :3
Reply 8207
Hi guys,

can someone please translate this into french for me? especially how to translate 'within 100 years...'

"In an ideal world, within 100 years we will have forgotten what the word 'racism' means. We will have erased any trace of racial discrimination. We will have agreed to respect each other. As soon as we have learnt to appreciate diversity, we will make progress. When we have established the principles for living together, we will have succeeded. I really hope that in 100 years, tolerance and equality will have won."

Thank you :smile: I'm practising for my a2 exam and want to make sure my translation is correct :smile:
Original post by :)J
Hi guys,

can someone please translate this into french for me? especially how to translate 'within 100 years...'

"In an ideal world, within 100 years we will have forgotten what the word 'racism' means. We will have erased any trace of racial discrimination. We will have agreed to respect each other. As soon as we have learnt to appreciate diversity, we will make progress. When we have established the principles for living together, we will have succeeded. I really hope that in 100 years, tolerance and equality will have won."

Thank you :smile: I'm practising for my a2 exam and want to make sure my translation is correct :smile:

Dans un monde idéal, d'ici cent ans on aura oublié la signification du mot "le racisme". On aura éliminé toute trace de la discrimination raciale. On sera d'accord pour que tout le monde se respecte. Dès que l'on apprendra à apprécier la diversité, on progressera. Lorsque l'on aura établi les principes de la vie commune, on aura réussi. J'espère vraiment que la tolérance et l'égalité auront gagné d'ici cent ans.

That's my attempt anyway :smile:

Xurvi

Qu'en penses-tu ? :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8209
Original post by xmarilynx
Dans un monde idéal, d'ici cent ans on aura oublié la signification du mot "le racisme". On aura éliminé toute trace de la discrimination raciale. On sera d'accord pour que tout le monde se respecte. Dès que l'on apprendra à apprécier la diversité, on progressera. Lorsque l'on aura établi les principes de la vie commune, on aura réussi. J'espère vraiment que la tolérance et l'égalité auront gagné d'ici cent ans.

thank you thank you! :smile:
Can I help with German please?:smile:
Reply 8211
Hiya, can someone check my translation please - french :colondollar:

"A lot of people would prefer to give alternative punishments. They think that there would be less reoffending. The number of detainees would be reduced. These people believe that we would do better to try to rehabilitate delinquents. But some people think we should lock them up and throw away the key. According to them, if we locked all the delinquents up, they would understand the consequences of their acts."

"Beaucoup de gens preferaient donner des peines de substitution. Ils pensent qu'il y aura moins de recidiver. Le nombre de detenus reduirait. Ces personnes croient que nous ferions mieux d'essayer de rehabiliter deliquants. Mais certaines personnes persent que nous devrions les enfermer et jeter la cle. Selon eux, si nous enfermons tous les delinquants, ils comprendraient les consequences de leur actions."

Thank you in advance :smile:
Bonsoir

My friend, an artist, has painted a pic and named it 'Classique Citroen'. (French - I'm sure you can guess) I/ we were wondering if this should be 'Citroen Classique', or if perhaps it could be worded better yet. If you could let me know why it should or shouldn't be changed I'd be interesting in hearing! I'm trying to better my understanding of French :pinch:

Thanks for the thread.
Reply 8213
Dans un monde idéal, d'ici cent ans on aura oublié la signification du mot "le racisme". On aura éliminé toute trace de la discrimination raciale. On sera d'accord pour que tout le monde se respecte ok littéralement mais bizarre, "tout le monde se respectera/fera preuve de respect"?. Dès que l'on apprendra qu'on aura appris (pas vérifié la concord des tps par contre) à apprécier la diversité, on progressera. Lorsque l'on aura établi les principes de la vie commune, on aura réussi bizarre - réussi quoi?. J'espère vraiment que la tolérance et l'égalité auront gagné bizarre aussi (gagné quoi/contre quoi?), auront prévalu? (plus général, idée de "sélection naturelle" d'une certaine manière, pas d'un combat ou d'une lutte -> chgmt pacifique/évolution vs chgmt violent/brutal) d'ici cent ans.

:yy:

Original post by :)J
"A lot of people would prefer to give alternative punishments. They think that there would be less reoffending. The number of detainees would be reduced. These people believe that we would do better to try to rehabilitate delinquents. But some people think we should lock them up and throw away the key. According to them, if we locked all the delinquents up, they would understand the consequences of their acts."

"Beaucoup de gens preferaient donner des peines de substitution. Ils pensent qu'il y aura moins de recidiver. Le nombre de detenus reduirait. Ces personnes croient que nous ferions mieux d'essayer de rehabiliter deliquants. Mais certaines personnes persent que nous devrions les enfermer et jeter la cle. Selon eux, si nous enfermons tous les delinquants, ils comprendraient les consequences de leur actions."

Accents are lacking so couldn't make sure you make the right ones.
Verbs - wrong and inconsistant tenses, bad uses.
Way too litteral. It somewhat works here (though to be fair French prefers longer sentences - I'd make a single one out of the 2nd and 3rd, and would consider merging the first three all together) but you shouldn't get used to it.

Not too bad though, just awkward and a couple of silly spelling mistakes.

Original post by shorty.loves.angels
Bonsoir

My friend, an artist, has painted a pic and named it 'Classique Citroen'. (French - I'm sure you can guess) I/ we were wondering if this should be 'Citroen Classique', or if perhaps it could be worded better yet. If you could let me know why it should or shouldn't be changed I'd be interesting in hearing! I'm trying to better my understanding of French :pinch:

Thanks for the thread.

Both can work I suppose, but I'd tend to understand Citroën in the first one as the brand (classique as in traditional), and in the second one as a car (Citroën being a generalising term used to define the car, and classique as in typical).

The first one is unnatural/weird but can work as in art variations of the language to achieve a particular effect (poetic, etc.) is tolerated/allowed.

I'd go for "Citroën classique" though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Xurvi

Both can work I suppose, but I'd tend to understand Citroën in the first one as the brand (classique as in traditional), and in the second one as a car (Citroën being a generalising term used to define the car, and classique as in typical).

The first one is unnatural/weird but can work as in art variations of the language to achieve a particular effect (poetic, etc.) is tolerated/allowed.

I'd go for "Citroën classique" though.

Thanks that's really helpful. I'll pass on your thoughts :smile: I've never truly understood the best situation in which to use each variation so I thought asking would be best.
Reply 8215
Hey guys how do you say 'would u like to know anything in particular' in German
Original post by rmisra
Hey guys how do you say 'would u like to know anything in particular' in German

How about:

Möchten Sie etwas bestimmtes wissen?
Haben Sie eine besondere Frage?
Reply 8217
How about:

Möchten Sie etwas bestimmtes wissen?
Haben Sie eine besondere Frage?