The Student Room Group

anyone grads from june 2010 still unemployed?

Hiya,

Title says it all really. Anyone from June 2010 still unemployed? I am and kinda feels like a hopeless situation to be in!

Post your stories!

I've only had 2x3day temp jobs since returning from my travels in December. How're you all coping?

blue

Scroll to see replies

what degree did you do and from where? what jobs have you applied for? and how many?
Reply 2
Original post by Homer_Simpson
what degree did you do and from where? what jobs have you applied for? and how many?

just answer the damn question! 2:1 geophysics UCL, applied for mining, oil/gas jobs, financey/banking jobs, data admin and other menial jobs.
Reply 3
My sister is. She's volunteering in a charity shop. No paid work since she graduated.
Reply 4
geophysics?
Reply 5
Original post by Lell
My sister is. She's volunteering in a charity shop. No paid work since she graduated.

well i'm sorry to hear that but at the same time relieved in that I've not been able to get proper work since graduating a year ago either :frown:. **** times!
Reply 6
Hi guys, I hope you don't mind me invading your thread...I'm doing an MRes in Social Sciences Research and for my dissertation I'm looking to speak to unemployed graduates. Participants need to have been unemployed for at least 2 months and be between the ages of 20-25. I'm investigating the experience of being an unemployed graduate - if you'd be interested in taking part, please send me a message and I can send you details. I'd like to either interview you via skype or msn (probably next week), or if that's not possible I can link you to a survey with some open questions so you can relay your experiences and thoughts. Likewise, if you know anyone who might be interested who fits the criteria, please do let me know. Your help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 7
Original post by blue_shift86
well i'm sorry to hear that but at the same time relieved in that I've not been able to get proper work since graduating a year ago either :frown:. **** times!

Sorry to hear that. I've said this to my sister (but iwas ignored) but temping might be a good way to go? I've just finished education and have to wait two years to start my job (in my area they recruit two years in advance) so I've been temping - you just need to sign up, short interview, some tests and away you go. You could be in work next week...it's not the most exciting thing in the world and it's not highly paid (I earn £6.50/£7 per hour usually - up north) but it has allowed me to get experience on my CV, gets me out the house and I'm earning £££.
I have a friend who graduated last year and still hasn't found a full time paying job. He has applied for so many over the past year. As far as I know, all he has got has been voluntary work. It's sad to see graduates in this situation. I hope by the time I graduate things will have started looking up. Or else it will be back for another year doing a Masters.
Reply 9
Original post by Lell
Sorry to hear that. I've said this to my sister (but iwas ignored) but temping might be a good way to go? I've just finished education and have to wait two years to start my job (in my area they recruit two years in advance) so I've been temping - you just need to sign up, short interview, some tests and away you go. You could be in work next week...it's not the most exciting thing in the world and it's not highly paid (I earn £6.50/£7 per hour usually - up north) but it has allowed me to get experience on my CV, gets me out the house and I'm earning £££.

you think i haven't tried that? :tongue:. I've been lucky enough to have 2x3day jobs since decemmber (obviously temp) but nothing more substantial unfortunately. The search goes on :smile:
Maybe it's the area you live in too. Temping is more plentiful in London, as are permanent jobs.

Make sure your application is really tailored and demonstrate how you fulfill the specific job's criteria. Good applications > many applications. And always include a cover letter!
Original post by James A
it depends on the course, the mickey mouse courses in particular. On the other hand Geophysics.............., like who on earth will employ you after that lol

what a moron
Original post by gunners r us
what a moron

lol get out of here
Original post by James A
it depends on the course, the mickey mouse courses in particular. On the other hand Geophysics.............., like who on earth will employ you after that lol

lol, wut?
Original post by IcEmAn911
lol, wut?

whats marketing like, i heard employment is real tough nowdays.
Original post by amyh33
Hi guys, I hope you don't mind me invading your thread...I'm doing an MRes in Social Sciences Research and for my dissertation I'm looking to speak to unemployed graduates. Participants need to have been unemployed for at least 2 months and be between the ages of 20-25. I'm investigating the experience of being an unemployed graduate - if you'd be interested in taking part, please send me a message and I can send you details. I'd like to either interview you via skype or msn (probably next week), or if that's not possible I can link you to a survey with some open questions so you can relay your experiences and thoughts. Likewise, if you know anyone who might be interested who fits the criteria, please do let me know. Your help would be greatly appreciated!

...and how do you expect that Master's to help you get a job later on? serious question, want to know coz i'm planning to do a masters but heard that these days its a waste of time
Original post by James A
whats marketing like, i heard employment is real tough nowdays.

It's fine, I work in the Marketing Department for a B2 Printer and help out with the communications side of things through targeting our existing customers as well as potential customers. I also help out in the Estimating department by creating quotations and finding ways of curbing costs for various print jobs.

And you?

^ Obviously this is not an attempt to boast about what I do for a living. Yes, I work but so do many other individuals. Who cares???
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
How did you find that job in the marketing department?
Reply 18
Also what agencies in London are good for temporary work?
Reply 19
yeah about 25%+

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending