The Student Room Group

Had an interview, got rejected but they offered me a chance at another role?

For context, I have been unemployed since June due to redundancy from a business analyst role that I was in for 5 years.

I had an interview this week at my local police station for an secondment applications engineer role 16 month contract. They got back in touch with me today and said that I may not have the exact skills to get me up and running quickly for this role as it covers a wide range of services, HOWEVER they told me about an upcoming role which they feel my skills are more aligned with.

The role is similar but it is a longer contract so there is more time to learn on the job and it covers less wide projects. They have said that I will need to go through the application and interview process again, but are willing to speak to me about the role next week.

Is this normal for them and is it worth pursuing?
Original post by Fazersa
For context, I have been unemployed since June due to redundancy from a business analyst role that I was in for 5 years.

I had an interview this week at my local police station for an secondment applications engineer role 16 month contract. They got back in touch with me today and said that I may not have the exact skills to get me up and running quickly for this role as it covers a wide range of services, HOWEVER they told me about an upcoming role which they feel my skills are more aligned with.

The role is similar but it is a longer contract so there is more time to learn on the job and it covers less wide projects. They have said that I will need to go through the application and interview process again, but are willing to speak to me about the role next week.

It's not normal and it's very much worth pursuing! Employers don't do this unless they see a good fit between you and the role.
Not sure about the police but this happens when they like a candidate but there is 2 good candidates for the same job. You may not get the job yoy want but they still want you.
Original post by Fazersa

This doesnt happen very often. They must have thought you were decent to offer you the other job. Most employers wouldnt do that. With most, if you dont get the job then you dont get the job, end of.
I would deffo take it.
Original post by Fazersa

Hi,
Yes this is actually more common than it may appear, even know from family that work in the police near me that this has happened before.Some companies if they feel there is a more suitable role for an applicant will encourage them to apply. Can also be a positive sign that they are interested in you and what you could bring to the team. They just want to fit you in better. Would recommend to double check what the new role contains and make certain that you update your CV/resume and brush up on some key interview techniques. Just in case.
Best of luck and hopefully you can get the new role!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending