The Student Room Group

failed A-levels..what now? please!!!1

hi i am 18 years old , i just got my AS-level results and i got DEU, i dont know what to do with my life now, my dad is shouting at me now saying i am a disgrace to the family and also telling me i am going nowhere in life.

i am here to ask what is the next step i should do with my life, do an apprenticeships, do an foundation uni course ..etc

Scroll to see replies

I would advise you to do a foundation course. It is only a year and from then you can go to the next level. You can also get a job in the mean time as the degree will be easier and it will probably give you plenty of time. Even if it is a foundation course you will still be at uni so that's a plus.
Reply 2
Original post by minouch

Original post by minouch
I would advise you to do a foundation course. It is only a year and from then you can go to the next level. You can also get a job in the mean time as the degree will be easier and it will probably give you plenty of time. Even if it is a foundation course you will still be at uni so that's a plus.

thanks for your help, so a foundation course is better than an apprenticeships?
Reply 3
Should of worked harder.
Original post by FloydRix
Should have worked harder.

Fixed. Don't criticise someone else before you can look past your own mistakes.
Original post by ViralRiver

Smash!
Original post by bruddajesus
hi i am 18 years old , i just got my AS-level results and i got DEU, i dont know what to do with my life now, my dad is shouting at me now saying i am a disgrace to the family and also telling me i am going nowhere in life.

i am here to ask what is the next step i should do with my life, do an apprenticeships, do an foundation uni course ..etc

I got UUUU when I was 17, took a year out, went back to a different college, ended up with A*AB.

Success can easily follow failure, you just need to actually work hard.
Original post by FloydRix
Should of worked harder.

Not many posts manage to be unhelpful and grammatically wrong. Well done!
Reply 8
Original post by ilickbatteries

Success can easily follow failure, you just need to actually work hard.

this.

but

if your not cut out for them, your not cut out for them, what do you want to do, where are you considering a career, what a-levels did you take?
Original post by EffKayy
Guessing you failed English langauge then?

Language*

I'm having fun.
Original post by ameelia22
this.

but

if your not cut out for them, your not cut out for them, what do you want to do, where are you considering a career, what a-levels did you take?

I dunno. I think anyone can get decent grades (BBB) or above if they just work.

Sure, hard work will only get you so far, so there is a point where intellect is actually needed to take you further, but based on pure hard work, I think anyone can get a B in any subject.
Reply 11
Original post by arob752
DEU is pretty appalling. Did you not put any effort in or are you just plain stupid?

... or did you pick the wrong courses, or did something happen in your personal life to mean you couldn't work much, or were you not emotionally mature enough for further study when you started, or were you pushed into a-levels when vocational study would have suited you more, or was your school atrocious?

There are many reasons why people get 'bad' grades, and the OP needs to work out why before they can work out what they should do. If they chose the wrong courses, it's worth looking at things like apprenticeships or something more hands-on; if they didn't work for some reason, it's worth identifying the reason and thinking if they could work harder in the future; if they went to an atrocious college, it's worth looking at how they could teach themselves or distance-learn or whatever.

OP, it depends why you got DEU. I'd recommend taking some time out to think and reflect, maybe getting a job or work experience in this time, and then going back to education when you've worked out what you actually want and how you're going to get it :smile:
Original post by ilickbatteries
I dunno. I think anyone can get decent grades (BBB) or above if they just work.

Sure, hard work will only get you so far, so there is a point where intellect is actually needed to take you further, but based on pure hard work, I think anyone can get a B in any subject.

Thats a valid point, however just to hit that one back to you, it takes initiative to see where your going wrong, correcting it, moving forwards. You could work your absolute arse off, but if your working in the wrong way, learning the wrong thing, or blanking out important areas of the a-level, then it's all gone to waste.

if that makes any kinda kjfkjshferbsksense
Original post by kerily
... or did you pick the wrong courses, or did something happen in your personal life to mean you couldn't work much, or were you not emotionally mature enough for further study when you started, or were you pushed into a-levels when vocational study would have suited you more, or was your school atrocious?

There are many reasons why people get 'bad' grades, and the OP needs to work out why before they can work out what they should do. If they chose the wrong courses, it's worth looking at things like apprenticeships or something more hands-on; if they didn't work for some reason, it's worth identifying the reason and thinking if they could work harder in the future; if they went to an atrocious college, it's worth looking at how they could teach themselves or distance-learn or whatever.

OP, it depends why you got DEU. I'd recommend taking some time out to think and reflect, maybe getting a job or work experience in this time, and then going back to education when you've worked out what you actually want and how you're going to get it :smile:

That was my intended point. Probably a bit too blunt wasn't I :rolleyes:
Reply 14
Original post by arob752
That was my intended point. Probably a bit too blunt wasn't I :rolleyes:

Quite a bit too blunt for my overly-literal brain :biggrin:
Original post by ameelia22
Thats a valid point, however just to hit that one back to you, it takes initiative to see where your going wrong, correcting it, moving forwards. You could work your absolute arse off, but if your working in the wrong way, learning the wrong thing, or blanking out important areas of the a-level, then it's all gone to waste.

if that makes any kinda kjfkjshferbsksense

I get what you mean but you have to be thorough.

Teachers should make sure you're on the right track and explain things that you don't understand, as well as initially teaching you the material. It's then up to you to actually learn that information off by heart and understand it to a deep enough level.

Hard work is only successful to a point though. There is an intellectual barrier where someone just wont have the intelligence to structure an essay or be careful answering an equation.

If teachers keep students on the right track, hard work alone should be enough to get at least BBB, maybe BBC.

Then again, perhaps I'm just being naive and fail to understand people who don't get the subject material that I had no problem with.

I think in the entire time at college there were only a couple of concepts in psychology I didn't quite understand and couldn't work out. Some people did seem to work hard and still fail, though I have a nagging feeling they weren't working as hard as they should have been.

I know that sounds supremely arrogant, but I did absolutely no work at school from Year 9 to Year 12, I know what happens when you don't work.
What exactly would you like to do with your life? If you know, tell us that and maybe we can go somewhere.

I got CEU when I was in Year 12. The subjects I got EU in, my teachers pretty much refused to take me in the A2 classes or even let me resit, so I was made to change subjects completely. This annoyed me, and I did kinda try second year but still failed them too (I was depressed as well). Then I went to college to study Business Administration, and I did better at that and felt better doing something different. Now that that's over I'm thinking of getting into journalism, and I have a few different ideas but I'm going to go to a careers advisor about it, just for a bit of guidance.
Reply 17
If you worked hard and got them results then maybe you should look to a more practical course like an apprenticeship. But if you just had a lazy year then you can get good A2 grades. Parents always want us to try our best and if you didn't then its understandable why your dad's angry, but don't feel like a failure. Your not stupid, especially if it was a hard subject like physics/maths.

You could either apply for a foundation degree this year which will get you onto the proper course this time, but that limits you slightly to unis that offer that. Or you could completely resit your AS, do revision every night then apply next year- with higher predicted and AS grades unis will be more likely to accept you.

There's another option if you want to get in uni next year- you could do 2 A levels in a year- quite a few unis accept 2 a levels like teeside, sunderland BUT you'd need to get either BB/AB because you'll end up with less points than 3 a levels. If you did this you'd have to persuade your teachers to give you higher predicted grades and show that you really are willing to work hard and want to get into uni. Your college might not offer this, but other colleges might.

Or you could get a job if you feel college isn't for you. Your not a disgrace and even though you probably have done barely any revision this year its not the end of the world. If you work hard this year you could end up going to uni next year or the year after. But you've got to put effort in and actually want it. so either go onto A2 in the subjects you got low passes in, resit those AS'S and do 2 other AS's and apply for perhaps a combination of foundation degrees or degrees with lower entry requirements at more lower ranked unis. Or move college and do 2 a levels in a year- its possible- 2 sets of coursework, 2 exams in jan, 2 in june. Or start your a levels from the beginning. Good luck. You haven't messed up your life- you've just had one lazy year and now its time to work hard if you want to go to uni.
Reply 18
Step 1: Work out why you got those grades
Reply 19
Original post by ViralRiver

The thing is I am not complaining about my spelling.

Quick Reply

Latest