The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Anyone got an interview for Canterbury on Friday? Everyone seems to have one there on the Saturday!
Reply 1181
Original post by TheDawn
Canterbury interview tomorrow :smile:

Hey, how did your interview go and what was it like? Got my interview there on Friday :smile:
Reply 1182
Thanks for the replies :smile: good luck to everyone and hopefully we wont be waiting much longer!!!
Reply 1183
Original post by ellie32
Anyone got an interview for Canterbury on Friday? Everyone seems to have one there on the Saturday!

I have mine on friday too :smile:
Reply 1184
Original post by miss-pink09
Anyone not yet had an interview from hertfordshire????

i havent!
i keep reading about loads of other people who have had interviews or who have been given offers, i havent heard anything, like not even a rejection :frown:
Reply 1185
Original post by jn21

I have mine on thursday... thought id just throw that in there too! :biggrin:
Reply 1186
Original post by cicifire
Yeah I think Leeds have been quite harsh, when I went for interview they said they had over 600 applicants and were only giving interviews to 200 people and out of those 200, 50 will get places. I think they were quite picky and I think what kept me in the running was the fact I am doing Physics and Biology. They say I won't find out until April if I have been accepted, I just hate waiting lol.

I think it is looking quite likely that I will go to Teeside too. I live in Alnwick so at the moment it's my closest one. How close are you to Teeside?

C :wink:

oh wow, well congratulations on getting so far then :smile: i messed up on my exams last year so i think i knew they wouldnt consider me anyway
Good luck, im sure you'll find out soon enough :P

Ah righty, would you move into accom or commute? I live in newcastle so its like 45 mins away or so, my parents want me to stay at home and buy me a car but im not sure which would be better :/
Reply 1187
any one heard from bradford yet????
Reply 1188
Original post by Ps.
Ah righty, would you move into accom or commute? I live in newcastle so its like 45 mins away or so, my parents want me to stay at home and buy me a car but im not sure which would be better :/

It depends which you value more: getting the 'student experience', or having convenience and flexibility. You pretty much have to have a car to get between placement sites, public transport is just too inconvenient and not dependable. If you live in halls you'll probably end up living in hospital accommodation for placement so you won't always be living with fellow students anyway. And if you do live in halls while on placement, you'll have to hope you get quiet flatmates because you won't want them screaming until 2am every night while you're working 9-5 on placement (along with getting up early and getting home late after the commute) and doing written work at the same time.

As you can probably tell, I stayed at home for my course, but I think I had a better experience than people staying in halls. My friends still lived at home so I wasn't lonely. Most people in my class did the same thing. The biggest dropout rate was from students living in halls, and they didn't cope so well in assignments either because they had so much less free time.

Personally I would recommend anyone doing a healthcare course to live at home if they can. It just makes everything easier in the long run. That being said, I put more weight into getting into a good career than living the 'real' student experience for three years so other people might say different.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1189
Original post by FXX
It depends which you value more: getting the 'student experience', or having convenience and flexibility. You pretty much have to have a car to get between placement sites, public transport is just too inconvenient and not dependable. If you live in halls you'll probably end up living in hospital accommodation for placement so you won't always be living with fellow students anyway. And if you do live in halls while on placement, you'll have to hope you get quiet flatmates because you won't want them screaming until 2am every night while you're working 9-5 on placement (along with getting up early and getting home late after the commute) and doing written work at the same time.

As you can probably tell, I stayed at home for my course, but I think I had a better experience than people staying in halls. My friends still lived at home so I wasn't lonely. Most people in my class did the same thing. The biggest dropout rate was from students living in halls, and they didn't cope so well in assignments either because they had so much less free time.

Personally I would recommend anyone doing a healthcare course to live at home if they can. It just makes everything easier in the long run. That being said, I put more weight into getting into a good career than living the 'real' student experience for three years so other people might say different.

Wow thanks a lot for this, yeah id heard that staying in halls would be more distracting etc but i didnt realise it was that bad for people to drop out

would you say you missed out on anything staying at home, like by having to leave early and stuff? These are just the kind of worries i have, i know it might sound petty but i dont want to feel like a sort of outsider when other people form their groups with whoever they live next to
To be fair, im not really a party person so i dont think id be too miffed if i missed an outing or two

I take it you got a car too then? did the early mornings not get to you? again, im worried about having to get up and leave pretty early to avoid traffic etc everyday

Thanks so much by the way, this is really helping me :smile:
Reply 1190
Original post by Ps.
Wow thanks a lot for this, yeah id heard that staying in halls would be more distracting etc but i didnt realise it was that bad for people to drop out

would you say you missed out on anything staying at home, like by having to leave early and stuff? These are just the kind of worries i have, i know it might sound petty but i dont want to feel like a sort of outsider when other people form their groups with whoever they live next to
To be fair, im not really a party person so i dont think id be too miffed if i missed an outing or two

I take it you got a car too then? did the early mornings not get to you? again, im worried about having to get up and leave pretty early to avoid traffic etc everyday

Thanks so much by the way, this is really helping me :smile:

The early mornings were not a problem. During the uni blocks, it would take me 40 minutes to drive in, and it was a 20 minute walk for the people living in halls, but obviously they had to carry all their stuff as well, and that was in all weathers. The route to uni was quite fun to drive as well :biggrin: One of my main placement sites was down the road from my house, and the other was a 20 minute drive, so getting to placement was easier than getting to uni. Obviously your situation will depend on how congested your routes get, but for people living in halls, they have to catch buses and trains and stuff so I'd say it would be easier for driving regardless.

Yeah I have a car, and by living at home I easily held a part-time job alongside the course to help pay for it. You get more money for cars when you claim back on expenses too :tongue:

And don't forget that by living at home you won't accumulate any debts on accommodation. My course only finished last week, but I've left uni with no debts to worry about, so when I get my first post, I know everything I earn will go to me or the tax man :smile:
I'm confused about funding, not going to lie.
I'm a UK citizen born and bred in Wales and I shall be remaining in WAles to study but living away from home.

I get a non-means tested bursary of £1000, I understand THAT much. Can I have a loan and a means tested bursary? Or?
I'm confused. Money confuses me. I'd quite like to be able to survive whilst at uni and without money/understanding, I guess I won't.
Reply 1192
Original post by jn21

Ah finally found someone haha :smile: how you getting there and where you coming from?
Reply 1193
Original post by ellie32
Ah finally found someone haha :smile: how you getting there and where you coming from?

haha :smile: can't believe it's tomorrow! I'm coming from Ireland for the day via Heathrow and yea need to figure out the exact train to take.. What about you? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ps.
i havent!
i keep reading about loads of other people who have had interviews or who have been given offers, i havent heard anything, like not even a rejection :frown:

Oh.. where have u applied?
ive got two rejections before interviews
and two interviews in 2 weeks.
waiting on herts...which is my first choice :frown:
Reply 1195
aaaahhh!!! Offer from SHU - top choice! Unbelievably happy :biggrin:
Reply 1196
Original post by jn21
haha :smile: can't believe it's tomorrow! I'm coming from Ireland for the day via Heathrow and yea need to figure out the exact train to take.. What about you? :smile:

I know it's come around so quick! Oh woww that's a long way haha I'm coming from Cambridge, not too far from London. You going on your own or with someone else? :smile:
Reply 1197
Original post by miss-pink09
Oh.. where have u applied?
ive got two rejections before interviews
and two interviews in 2 weeks.
waiting on herts...which is my first choice :frown:

Leeds and liverpool (both rejections)
teesside (conditional :smile: )
canterbury (interview on the 8th)
and then herts
where else did you apply?

so you havent heard anything at all either then? its really strange...

dont worry, something will be sent soonish, they cant just have forgotten us :P they like keeping people on their toes!
Reply 1198
Original post by lizpop
aaaahhh!!! Offer from SHU - top choice! Unbelievably happy :biggrin:

Congrats hun, im still waiting to hear from SHU :frown: im feeling very down about it at min feel like ive been waiting a life time :frown: xx
Original post by J3551CA
I had an interview at Bangor last week but it was awful. How long did they take to get back to you? x

My interview was at the beginning of Feb so about four weeks. Good luck x

Latest