The Student Room Group

what's your best piece of advice for a prospective nursing student?

As they have made clear at interviews and in the prospectus's, the nursing course is very time consuming and challenging.
I have got offers to go to londont his september to do the nursing course,

anyone out there care to share with me some of their wisdom by giving me one vital pointer for how to cope and make the most of the course?

Thanks!
my best bit of advice would be to keep your sense of humour.

strange as it may sound...there is a reason behind it, nursing isn't just a 3 year course...it's a career that can last for decades...and there are things that you end up dealing with on a daily basis which, if you didn't laugh about you'd cry, and get depressed, and end up dropping out, or rather more scarily turn into the next Beverly Allit :eek: and nobody wants that.

...this might not exactly seem like the best advice that could be given...but trust me, after a while doing nursing you'll understand exactly what i mean.
Reply 2
qwerty_st/n
my best bit of advice would be to keep your sense of humour.

strange as it may sound...there is a reason behind it, nursing isn't just a 3 year course...it's a career that can last for decades...and there are things that you end up dealing with on a daily basis which, if you didn't laugh about you'd cry, and get depressed, and end up dropping out, or rather more scarily turn into the next Beverly Allit :eek: and nobody wants that.

...this might not exactly seem like the best advice that could be given...but trust me, after a while doing nursing you'll understand exactly what i mean.

You know what i think even now i understand what you mean, and believe it is actualy a good piece of advice. my nanna was a nurse all her life, and from doing bank nursing in the holidays i saw how nurses coped with situations, you have to just laugh about it, i found myself quite often left all alone in scary situations where i didn't have a clue what to do, if i had got bogged down in it and let it upset me i would have just got depressed!

Also when im at work in the residential home, you have to laugh, being around suffereing and dying people requires a degree of humour on both sides to be able to get through it.

Thanks for the advice, we keep ending up on all the same boards lol!

Jo
xxx
:nurse: :laugh:
A sense of humour is a really helpfull tool to get you through your training and through your career. I would also say that its really important that student nurses have other interests/hobbies because you spend so much time in hospital or in uni (talking about being in hospital!) that its really important that you have something that you can do to relax, unwind and forget about uni for a few hours or somewhere you can go to escape! Having different hobbies/interests also means you get to make friends with people other than nurses.
You also need to be optimistic so that you can see the best in people and hope in situations which may seem hopless otherwise its just too overwhelming at times!
hope this helps a bit x
miss_buttercup
because you spend so much time in hospital or in uni (talking about being in hospital!)

oh god tell me about it, i was in uni on thursday and one of the girls said something about ballons, but i thought she said 'blues', meaning the incontinence sheets...proof if ever it was needed that i've been doing far too much nursing :redface:
Reply 5
joeybee
As they have made clear at interviews and in the prospectus's, the nursing course is very time consuming and challenging.
I have got offers to go to londont his september to do the nursing course,

anyone out there care to share with me some of their wisdom by giving me one vital pointer for how to cope and make the most of the course?

Thanks!

Just off topic but what did you think of south bank?
Reply 6
matt4504

Good luck with your interview!
Reply 7
matt4504

You know what, before i came to london and had really researched into the uni's i had south bank as my first choice! but then after more research (and after stopping myself from beign too influenced by the prospectus!) i changed my mind and south bank went lower on my list.

When i went to the interview in late November i was impresssed, by the location, the buildings and the accommodation. i like the transport links, and i liked the fact that for the first year i would get the full bursary as if i were a diploma student. I thought the staff were nice and approachable.
But i much preferred kings, city and kingston. I don't know, i think it was just the feeling of the place, it felt more like how i imagined university to be. Also i knew that king's in particular had a very good reputation, as does city for St Barts.

I was impressed by the placements at SBU though, i mean Guy's hospital would have been fantastic.

Overall i think that SBU went up in my opinion really, and i think that it would be quite a good uni to go to for a nursing course, though it just wasn't for me.

Jo

xxx
Reply 8
Well i mean i picked SBU because it has a really good hospital for my placements. Btw how comes you'd get the full bursary in the first year like diploma students? I never saw that?

Also i went to KCL but i left... *sighs* Just didn't like who i lived/studied with

Latest