The Student Room Group

is it possible to get BBB at A2 with bad AS grades?

I did awful at AS, ended up with:
C- sociology
C- general studies (doesnt count for any points though)
D- biology
D- ICT
U- Chem

Ive dropped chem. and im retaking bio and IT i think.. but i want to know what are the chances that i can get at LEAST BBC by the end of a2.
I am aiming to get into Radiography, and most unis ask for BBC-BCC.

along with grades go PS and work exp etcetc, i will hopfully be getting work ex v.v. soon and i went on World challenge this summer for 1month. ive had work ex in the past but not related to what id like to do at uni but ive gained skills....

but basically i want to know if it would be possible to move my grades to B's at A2
i apprecite any help!!
thankyou

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hello123450
C- sociology
D- biology
D- ICT
U- Chem

Ive dropped chem. and im retaking bio and IT i think.. but i want to know what are the chances that i can get at LEAST BBC by the end of a2.

along with grades go PS and work exp etcetc, i will hopfully be getting work ex v.v. soon and i went on World challenge this summer for 1month. ive had work ex in the past but not related to what id like to do at uni but ive gained skills....

but basically i want to know if it would be possible to move my grades to B's at A2
i apprecite any help!!
thankyou

You can if you do a few resits and get your January exams right the first time - as in you don't have to resit them in June then it should be ok really. Best advice is to look at your lowest exam score and retake that exam, you can easily boost up you C grade to an A/B grade if you improve that much which will help your A2 along the way and reduce pressure in June.
C- sociology
D- biology
D- ICT
U- Chem

i apprecite any help!!
thankyou

It shouldn't be a huge problem no, especially not with re-takes. It all depends on what grades you are predicted at A2, as this is most likely what the unis will look at, that is possibly the only thing that can get in your way, some unis are really strict if your predictions aren't their requirements or higher.

As for the work experience in your PS, tell the unis of your plans for upcoming experience, and even if your previous experience isnt totally related, it doesn't matter as long as you've learned from it, explain what you have learnt.

But all I can say is good luck, and if you try hard enough, you can achieve anything.
Reply 3
Original post by lozzyhickers
It shouldn't be a huge problem no, especially not with re-takes. It all depends on what grades you are predicted at A2, as this is most likely what the unis will look at, that is possibly the only thing that can get in your way, some unis are really strict if your predictions aren't their requirements or higher.

As for the work experience in your PS, tell the unis of your plans for upcoming experience, and even if your previous experience isnt totally related, it doesn't matter as long as you've learned from it, explain what you have learnt.

But all I can say is good luck, and if you try hard enough, you can achieve anything.

thankyou v much! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by LifeIsGood
You can if you do a few resits and get your January exams right the first time - as in you don't have to resit them in June then it should be ok really. Best advice is to look at your lowest exam score and retake that exam, you can easily boost up you C grade to an A/B grade if you improve that much which will help your A2 along the way and reduce pressure in June.

thankyou! feel bit better now acutally :smile:
thankyou! feel bit better now acutally :smile:

Just try and manage your time really well and you'll do fine. :smile:
Reply 6
I've seen some Ds turns into As, which is quite amazing and i've seen Bs turn into Ds. Just depends on how much effort you'll put
Reply 7
This might be a stupid question- but if you do worse on resits, do they take your best grade?
This might be a stupid question- but if you do worse on resits, do they take your best grade?

Yes they'll always take your best grade.

Someone got a C in BIOL1 first time, second time got a D and they consider the C
Reply 9
I got DEEE at AS and even though they said I could carry them on at A2 i'm redoing three of them and picking up another because even if I get As at A2 that'll only leave me with Cs probably which isn't good enough.
Reply 10
I did my A Levels in 2008. At AS I got something like CCDDE and at A Level got AABC.
Reply 11
You don't even need resits. Just get high Bs or As and it should even it out.
I know that for Biology it's possible. I got mid/low A in unit 1 and high C in unit 2 and I JUST got a C practical and I got a B. So if you get a high B or an A you can get a B.

Resists may put you under more pressure because of all the work you'll have in A2, but if you're confident then go for it
Very slim, Be honest with yourself, what are the chances of your teachers seeing you got a D in Biology and ICT
thinking you'll be able to get B's in each
Reply 13
Original post by lozzyhickers

But what if you cant do resits? is it possible to get an B/A grade?
Reply 14
Original post by QI Elf
I did my A Levels in 2008. At AS I got something like CCDDE and at A Level got AABC.

wow did you do resits?
Reply 15
As is a massive jump from GCSE, in physics I got a low e at as. I work extremely hard and came out with a B at A2, so it is possible :smile:
C- sociology
D- biology
D- ICT
U- Chem

i apprecite any help!!
thankyou

Look at the breakdown of your AS scores. If there's certain units that you've done terrible in, and you've done ok/good in the others, you should be able to boost your grade quite a bit by resitting them. I did bad in 3 of my Unit 2 papers, and it's possible for me to get A in 2 of those subjects just by resitting the unit 2s. If I do this well enough, then I should have achieved As in my AS subjects, and I wont have to do nearly as well in A2 :smile: Actually I think you can probly get all of those AS's up to a B atleast apart from chemistry if you resit. There's no doubt it is possible, but the main thing now is to convince your teachers to predict you Bs, which is what I'm doing. Good luck :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Tammyy
wow did you do resits?

Yes. But for my history resit I didn't revise anywhere near as hard as I did for my original AS exam. I'd revised and worked so hard the first time and come out with a D. I didn't see the point of working hard for my resit as I did the first time and still did terribly. I just read over the revision guide. I came out with an A. No idea how!
C- sociology
D- biology
D- ICT
U- Chem

i apprecite any help!!
thankyou

it is possible to so better but i must say i did better than you in AS and almost failed on A2. A2 is like a monster so you have to work 10 times harder to get satisfying result.
when i answered i answered all question and was expecting the worst score to be B.
i might also add that i read the book and there wasnt a single info i missed. so i am saying because i wish someone would have told me this when i started A2 be very carefull
I'm pissed. I tried so hard at AS and came out with BCDE even though I was supposed to get AAAA. I wanted to leave school with As and A*s at A2 but my future is totally f*cked now isnt it?

To rub salt into the wound, someone I knew did no work at all and came out with ABB.

Quick Reply

Latest