The Student Room Group

Online Gaming with Ask4

Ok, i've just moved into student accommodation in Derby and have Ask4 as my internet provider. Now earlier today I tried to play my game "Dawn of War II" online, but I could not connect to "Games for Windows Live", and seeing as it worked perfectly fine before I moved and its got an exception for it in the firewall, is it possible that Ask4 are blocking ports?
When I was in UoB halls I called them up, for something like a fiver they put me on a public IP address where I had open ports for gaming.
Reply 2
Yeah, Unis will probably block online gaming.
Reply 3
sweet i'll try that,

btw i just emailled them and they told me my games console needed to be registered on 4connect lol, they forgot to read that I play games on the computer
Reply 4
I've just had another mail back saying that I need to upgrade to 4connect to get a public IP address :frown:
Reply 5
Ok, I rang up Ask4 and got the 4connect package and got a public IP supposedly, but I still cannot log into "Games for Windows Live", and after looking up the error code I get "Games for Windows LIVE cannot obtain an IP address from the selected network device. Make sure that you have selected the correct network device."

Ideas anyone?
Reply 6
Bit of a rip-off this whole 4ask thing to be honest. My concern is, if you go into My Account, it says the 8Gb free is only for 4months? Is it going to cut off after that does anyone know? Thanks.
Reply 7
Original post by ihs
Bit of a rip-off this whole 4ask thing to be honest. My concern is, if you go into My Account, it says the 8Gb free is only for 4months? Is it going to cut off after that does anyone know? Thanks.

It will be 8Mb, which is your download speed.

It will probably say 4 weeks not 4 months, this means that after 4 weeks you just need to log into your account and click "renew" which will renew your inclusive service for another 4 weeks and so on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending