The Student Room Group

Have I limited my chances of doing medicine?

I'm doing Chemistry, Biology, History and ICT for A-level. I'm looking to go to Bart's and the London or KCL.

GCSE's

ICT - A*
English Language - A
History - A
Double Award Science - AA
Art - A
Religion - A
Maths - B
English Lit - B

Hopefully I'll get A*s/A's in A-level. I just don't know if my GCSE's are good enough. I'm doing volunteer work in the hospital, and have positions of responsibility in school bla bla and I'm a prefect if that will make much of a difference.
Hello
Is is possible to get into medicine with these results
Physics A
Biology A
Chemistry A
Maths A
Graphics A
English Lit A
English A
Spanish A*
ICT- Distinction

I originally went to mainstream school and am fortunate enough to be accepted to a grammar school. But is it possible for me to do Medicine?? I have done a week experience in the Birmingham Womens Hospital, Im on the list for work experience for June 2012 in the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, I volunteer at the British HEart Foundatio. I am waiting to have my volunteering interview for ST John Mbulance as a youth leader... and will have an interview for the ROyal Orthapedic Hospital.

I am doing Physics Chemistry and Maths for ALevel. Are these good foundations?? Can anybody advice me any Universities that would take me in??

thanks
Reply 2
a bit low tbh, but it's too early to tell.

Good A2 predictions, excellent AS grades and a high UKCAT will more than make up for this relative weakness.
well they are good but if you want to compete with other people who have a train of A*'s then ur work experience and personal statement as well as ur a levels will make you stand out ad it shows u work hard
Reply 4
llessur, yes you have enough GCSE's, most Med schools will ask for at least seven passes so you're good there. Just make sure you do well at AS and do all the work exp available to you.

No_Bounty, you need to take Biology as well. Almost 100% necessary. Either take it as a fourth subject or take it instead of Physics or Maths (it doesn't matter which, but I'd say Physics is harder to score well in without Maths, whereas Maths is easy alone. So either take Maths, or both, not just Physics.)
I'd advise a physics or maths over ICT tbh. Its seen as a soft subject.

You will need a high UKCAT and a ton of work experience to compete though.
Reply 6
I have 5A's at Scottish Higher Level - Maths, English, Human Biology, Chemistry and Physics. In S6 I am taking Advanced Higher Chemistry, Biology and Higher Geography

Unfortunately i did really badly in my UKCAT got an average of 607.5 :frown: total of 2430

I volunteer at a local nursing home and i am getting work experience at a GP, but its after i send away by application, the same goes for work exp at a Medical Training Centre

I am wanting to apply for Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen. Honestly, do i have a realistic chance of getting in?
Reply 7
Original post by SpringNicht
I'd advise a physics or maths over ICT tbh. Its seen as a soft subject.

You will need a high UKCAT and a ton of work experience to compete though.

Was going to do physics but my school wouldn't let me as I got a B in maths :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by llessur123
This is actually painful :frown: Looks like I'll have to think about some other options.

Ok lets put this straight. I talked to the admissions offices of different universities and I found out that some uni's overlook GCSE's almost completely, while others look at them a bit more carefully. Find the university which is right for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending