The Student Room Group

What would a Union Jack without Scotland look like?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
I came up with a few ideas a while back for a flag with Wales in it, actually. I even made a slideshow for ya :tongue:

http://img594.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=englandniwales4.jpg

The first three would probably be alright if we had to pick a new one should Scotland secede.

And we should do it anyway. I mean who doesn't want a ****ing dragon on the flag?

I like number 4, however black instead of a blue background like the OP suggests.

The dragon shouldn't appear twice...

Actually looks better than the current flag!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Osmond
As Bob Dylan once said, the times are a-changing, and so we might have to consider some unusual possibilities. For one, Scotland seceding from the UK is definitely on the cards - it might not happen, yes, but what if it did? Would the Union Jack have to be edited to accurately represent the new sum of its parts?

I certainly think it would, although previous attempts to edit the flag to include Wales has never been very successful. In theory the dragon on the Union Jack would be quite inspirational, but it just doesn't look right in my opinion. It's even worse if you try cramming some yellow and black in there too, representing the flag of St. David.

I've come to the conclusion that the most logical form for the flag would be to simply colour the blue on the flag in black, as in this image:

I don't think that looks too shabby, does it?

To put it simply - the black would represent the Welsh, the red saltire is of course representative of the Northern Irish (that may be up for debate) and the St. George's cross would represent England. I think it'd be the most practical way of doing things - it means that all of the Union Jack merchandise only needs 1 quick colour change, after all.

I'm genuinely interested to see if anyone can come up with something interesting to represent a new Union Jack without Scotland. I invite you to share them with us in this thread.

That flag reminds me of the thing norsefire had in v for vendetta o.0
Reply 22
I honestly believe that the government wouldn't remove it. It's practically a brand that was flown all over the world, it would be like significantly changing the American flag colours. It might work for Mabuzukstan to have a redesign but nobody'll be in a hurry to change the Union Jack.

Feel free to quote me in 10 years when it changes and laugh at me.

Original post by Quady
Union Flag.

Pedants will reign supreme :P

Parliment in 1908: "the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag". I can deal with pendantry as long as it's accurate.
Original post by Mockery
I like number 4, however black instead of a blue background like the OP suggests.

The dragon shouldn't appear twice...

But but but . . . moar dragons . . . :frown:
Reply 24
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
But but but . . . moar dragons . . . :frown:

Nah the Welsh shouldn't be greedy :tongue:

I edited my post to add the picture btw if you missed it.
Am I the only one who's just noticed that the diagonal red lines aren't centred in their own white lines, and that it's not symmetrical? I can't believe I've missed it for so long.

There's 50 million English. Why do we need anything different for the sake of 3 million people (going by the notion that Northern Ireland has a red cross with a hand in the centre, so they'd identify with the red cross).

Sein Fein can have Northern Ireland. I'd whole heartedly love to see them try and subsidise them to the level that England can.
Reply 27
Some of these designs are excellent. That slideshow was fantastic, and I do agree with #21 that their flag really does look better than the current flag.
Reply 29
I say, keep the flag as it is pretty much. But change the backround to black. Then put a Tudor Rose in the top left segment, and a dragon in the bottom right. Let's get this thing looking like a coat of arms rather than a traditional flag.
Reply 30
Original post by Jonah Ramone
How can we speed us this process? :daydreaming:

:unimpressed:

why you want us Northern Irish to leave? we're perfectly happy were we are (well, I am :colonhash:)
Reply 31
Original post by Snagprophet

There's 50 million English. Why do we need anything different for the sake of 3 million people (going by the notion that Northern Ireland has a red cross with a hand in the centre, so they'd identify with the red cross).

Sein Fein can have Northern Ireland. I'd whole heartedly love to see them try and subsidise them to the level that England can.

sinn fein can go toss themselves :mad: if they take over NI, I'm moving for sure
Original post by Cool Cat
sinn fein can go toss themselves :mad: if they take over NI, I'm moving for sure

Not that I hate Northern Ireland, but if they (Sein Fein) are complaining about England 'controlling' it.......
Reply 33
Not that I hate Northern Ireland, but if they (Sein Fein) are complaining about England 'controlling' it.......

then they need to build a bridge and get over it

SF seriously need to get the Hell out of NI :smile:
Reply 34
We've already donated the union jack to the BNP haven't we?

Rip it up and start again when Scotland piss off.
Original post by Zoonage
That flag reminds me of the thing norsefire had in v for vendetta o.0

Yeah it does:-

I can't work out from the film though whether this flag represents the entire United Kingdom or just England. I assumed it was the entire UK, but in the film they constantly mention England, like in the Norsefire slogan, 'England Prevails'. Hmm, I don't know.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Aek-94
Yeah it does:-

I can't work out from the film though whether this flag represents the entire United Kingdom or just England. I assumed it was the entire UK, but in the film they constantly mention England, like such as the Norsefire slogan, 'England Prevails'. Hmm, I don't know.

Which other national flag in the UK has a horizontal/vertical red cross?
Which other national flag in the UK has a horizontal/vertical red cross?

It's probably just for England then :rolleyes:
No diagonal crosses.
Then there would be room to put in something cool like a dragon driving a car full of half naked women.
Reply 39
:unimpressed:

why you want us Northern Irish to leave? we're perfectly happy were we are (well, I am :colonhash:)

Why not? Ireland's a nice place. You'd grow to like it, CC.

then they need to build a bridge and get over it

SF seriously need to get the Hell out of NI :smile:

Wow, strong. They're just as good as the DUP, like.

Sinn Fein are also still not the majority of Northern Ireland.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending