The Student Room Group

The WORST cars you've driven?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Jaidenh
I would never get a 206 again, it drove well for about two months then everything went downhill, the worst part was having a cracked axel that the so called mechanic didn't even notice and i nearly killed myself one day.

To be honest I don't think it'd have driven well from new, the driving position was all wrong, not enough leg or head room, steering wheel was in a stupid position and never went high enough, the driving position in general was for 2 foot tall french women and no one else, the chairs were on stupid ratchet systems which made it impossible to get comfortable.
Don't know if it was due to age but the pedals and steering were far to light and had no feel to speak of.

And the other age related factors, engine and clutch shagged out, steering had a tonne of give. Suspension was shot so handling was ****ing dreadful, very interesting on the twistys. Indicators never self canceled. Handbrake didn't work unless you yanked it to ****.

Awful cars in general. Still, excellent instructor, everyone I know who went with him before and after me passed in under 20 lessons, maybe a few just over 20.
BMW 320i E90

Slow as a bus.
Original post by Jmzie-Coupe
BMW 320i E90

Slow as a bus.

It always made me wonder why on earth anyone would buy one of those.

Funnier still there are some who would buy a 316i :tongue:
Original post by Erich Hartmann
It always made me wonder why on earth anyone would buy one of those.

Funnier still there are some who would buy a 316i :tongue:

Yeah. The 316 must move like a Daewoo Matiz LOL. Same power as a 1.2 Renault Clio probably and much much heavier.
Reply 24
Old Tofaş Sedan 124. Not sure exactly what year it was an 80's model I think. (Drove it over summer when I visited my uncle..don't actually own it!)

Worst part about it was the steering. Gotta put some good 'ol elbow grease to get this beast turning left n' right!

I test drove a BMW Mini Cooper S. Since then Iv`e taken out my mates JCW version. Still disappointing.
Original post by Akkuz
Old Tofaş Sedan 124. Not sure exactly what year it was an 80's model I think. (Drove it over summer when I visited my uncle..don't actually own it!)

Worst part about it was the steering. Gotta put some good 'ol elbow grease to get this beast turning left n' right!

Is that one Soviet era car?
Reply 27
Is that one Soviet era car?

This particular model is a Fiat 124. Produced between 1971 and 1994 (in the Turkish market).

Production of it began in 1966 in Italy.
Original post by Akkuz
This particular model is a Fiat 124. Produced between 1971 and 1994 (in the Turkish market).

No wonder it looked rather familiar :biggrin:

Fiat licensed out that model to be produced by quite a few countries under different names and carried on well into the 90s.
Reply 29
No wonder it looked rather familiar :biggrin:

Fiat licensed out that model to be produced by quite a few countries under different names and carried on well into the 90s.

Yep, notably India, Spain, Turkey and Korea. Production went on till 1994 which is a heck of a long time for a single model. :hat:
Reply 30
Original post by Megaross
To be honest I don't think it'd have driven well from new, the driving position was all wrong, not enough leg or head room, steering wheel was in a stupid position and never went high enough, the driving position in general was for 2 foot tall french women and no one else, the chairs were on stupid ratchet systems which made it impossible to get comfortable.
Don't know if it was due to age but the pedals and steering were far to light and had no feel to speak of.

And the other age related factors, engine and clutch shagged out, steering had a tonne of give. Suspension was shot so handling was ****ing dreadful, very interesting on the twistys. Indicators never self canceled. Handbrake didn't work unless you yanked it to ****.

Awful cars in general. Still, excellent instructor, everyone I know who went with him before and after me passed in under 20 lessons, maybe a few just over 20.

Yeah i found it to be the same, i didn't mind the light steering but the pedals were annoying as i drove a Bora before that and they were quite tough. Same problem with the handbrake but most old cars don't have self cancel indicators.
It was really bad in winter too for heating up! Grrr.. Got a Honda civic rs now and i haven't had any complaints to date
Citreon Saxo
That one looks as if you could kick it over LOL.

LOL, you wouldn't be far from the truth, you sit in it and move your body from side to side, the whole cabin will rock and you could easily tip over, fairly light lol. The cabin and everything inside (apart from the steering wheel) is made from fibreglass and the 750cc engine is in between the drivers seat and passengers seat so weight distribution in that thing is bad if your heavy on the one side and start rocking it lol.
(edited 12 years ago)
Lada Riva
Reply 34

That will take some beating :biggrin:

Especially the polonez I drove, it had bald tyres and an extremly high clutch combined with a torqueless diesel engine :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jaidenh
I would never get a 206 again, it drove well for about two months then everything went downhill, the worst part was having a cracked axel that the so called mechanic didn't even notice and i nearly killed myself one day.

:teehee:
Original post by MeineJunge

That will take some beating :biggrin:

Especially the polonez I drove, it had bald tyres and an extremly high clutch combined with a torqueless diesel engine :s-smilie:

I've driven the 3dr hatchback version of this Swift, it was made by General Motors and badged as a Geo Metro. 1.0l 3cyl.... surprisingly it wasn't that underpowered as it had a rather low 1st and 2nd gears... but beyond that :tongue: Surprisingly there was even a 3speed automatic version sold in USA, now that was a slow one :biggrin:
Original post by Akkuz

The fiat 124 design will never die haha, Lada still make them.

A Yugo 45, the gears are lets say intresting (nothing like the fiat 127 which its based on) and I have never experienced plastic like what the indicator and window winders where made out of before. Saying that I still loved but I do have unique (terrible) taste in cars.
Reply 39
Original post by Atomic Dave

The newer Vauxhalls look a lot better nice but I absolutely hate the interior design on the older models (2003 - 2008/9), utter gash.

Yeah, me too, never seen so much grey. And the tatty looking orange back lit screens, ugh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending